Topics

California Utilities' Planned Power Shutoffs today through Saturday to affect 6 to 8 hundred thousand people

Bob Bellizzi

Mark,
I know where you reside but not where your servers are.
Might they be affected by  the Planned Shutoffs which  can last up to 5 days?
Our home has Battery Backup Grid tie solar so hopefully we will generate enough  for basics.

--

Bob Bellizzi

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:05 PM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

I know where you reside but not where your servers are.
Might they be affected by  the Planned Shutoffs which  can last up to 5 days?
Our home has Battery Backup Grid tie solar so hopefully we will generate enough  for basics.

Good question. The machines are in a datacenter in Fremont, Ca. Looking at the PG&E outage maps, it seems that parts of Fremont are scheduled to lose power. I don't know if that includes the datacenter. I would hope that we would have received notice if that was the case. In any event, I have a support ticket open to see if I can get verification that the datacenter will continue to have power. If I hear of any interruptions, I will let you know. Things seem to be quite fluid at the moment unfortunately.

Glenn Glazer

On 10/9/2019 13:21, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:05 PM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

I know where you reside but not where your servers are.
Might they be affected by  the Planned Shutoffs which  can last up to 5 days?
Our home has Battery Backup Grid tie solar so hopefully we will generate enough  for basics.

Good question. The machines are in a datacenter in Fremont, Ca. Looking at the PG&E outage maps, it seems that parts of Fremont are scheduled to lose power. I don't know if that includes the datacenter. I would hope that we would have received notice if that was the case. In any event, I have a support ticket open to see if I can get verification that the datacenter will continue to have power. If I hear of any interruptions, I will let you know. Things seem to be quite fluid at the moment unfortunately.

Speaking as someone working for a company with a huge colo presence, if they don't have failover power, it's time to switch data centers. Or go to the cloud.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

Speaking as someone working for a company with a huge colo presence, if they don't have failover power, it's time to switch data centers. Or go to the cloud.

Oh, I know they do have failover power, both battery and generator. But if we're talking about 5 days of no electricity, that's something I'd be concerned about.

Glenn Glazer

On 10/9/2019 13:29, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

Speaking as someone working for a company with a huge colo presence, if they don't have failover power, it's time to switch data centers. Or go to the cloud.

Oh, I know they do have failover power, both battery and generator. But if we're talking about 5 days of no electricity, that's something I'd be concerned about.

Ah, gotcha. From what I've read (I live in Northern California), the outages aren't supposed to be more than 2-4 days.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

Bob Bellizzi

Well if you've ever lived where there has been an extended outage in both time and area, you would worry about the restart capability of such a huge network of generators and users.  Just resyncing 100 and more generators is time consuming.
But this isn't just Northern Callifornia, Southern California Edison is also in the mix.

Oh well, this is a good earthquake/any disaster exercise for us.
We had already started a local Disaster Group at groups.io to common sharing and access of information and resources.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Bob Bellizzi

Well Mark, we squeaked by and hope you did also.
Apparently Piggy (PG&E) made unannounced changes to their selected blackout maps and we were spared.
Santa  Cruz county was pretty much dark.
--

Bob Bellizzi