Topics

Should notifications be optional?

Hi All,

As I continue to work through notifications, questions arise.

Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?

I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications; at least I don't recall seeing such an option when posting photos/etc.

Mark,

I think they absolutely have to be optional for moderators. Whether they're optional for non-mods could possibly be a group setting.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 10:21 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

As I continue to work through notifications, questions arise.

Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?

I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications; at least I don't recall seeing such an option when posting photos/etc.

Steph Mathews

I think that you should have the check boxes.

Have a blessed day!  Steph

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 12:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist?
I believe they should exist (for all items) if turning them off isn't going to be a group setting, with a default of off.  I'd also like to see it set so that someone can't send multiple notifications (of the same type?) within a short time if they can't be turned off.  (A recent reason for this is the Upload Directory where a notification is sent for each file uploaded.  In a test, that resulted in over 100 notifications!)

Gerald Boutin

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 03:21 PM, Duane wrote:
(A recent reason for this is the Upload Directory where a notification is sent for each file uploaded.  In a test, that resulted in over 100 notifications!)

Yes, and it also filled up almost 10 pages of notification messages online. Bad enough having to delete them from email accounts and online I would have to delete them one by one.

--
Gerald

Gerald Boutin

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 05:50 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 03:21 PM, Duane wrote:
(A recent reason for this is the Upload Directory where a notification is sent for each file uploaded.  In a test, that resulted in over 100 notifications!)

Yes, and it also filled up almost 10 pages of notification messages online. Bad enough having to delete them from email accounts and online I would have to delete them one by one.

--
Gerald
Now that I think about this, I realize that one might need options for receiving notifications as well as for initiating them.

--
Gerald

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 01:52 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I realize that one might need options for receiving notifications as well as for initiating them
I just assumed that was going to be the case, and I think Mark said so explicitly at one point. I'd have to find the thread. Options to receive or not was part of the whole point....

Donald Hellen

Duane . . .

On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:21:26 -0700, "Duane" <txpigeon@...>
wrote:

I believe they should exist (for all items) if turning them off isn't going to be a group setting, with a default of off. I'd also like to see it set so that someone can't send multiple notifications (of the same type?) within a short time if they can't be turned off.
I like this idea, not sending multiple notifications within a short
period of time. We won't all agree on the time frame, but if the check
box only appears after that time x minutes frame is over, we can
simply uncheck it again and we'll be good for another x minutes. This
might be useful when building a set of files, etc., in the files
section after the group is up and running.

Chances are by the time the members see the first notice, the files
will already all be uploaded in many cases. And, we would have the
option of unchecking the notification box, uploading the files, then
making a personal announcement about them only after we're finished.

Another alternative to this might be something in our personal
settings for the group. We could toggle it off to do multiple uploads
then toggle it back on either for the last one we do or leave it off
and just manually notify the members of uploads.

Donald

Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Michael Pavan

On Oct 1, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?
Absolutely. Yes. Yes, and Yes.

I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications; at least I don't recall seeing such an option when posting photos/etc.
All notifications should be controllable, both to send and receive.

As to group notifications triggered by a member's action, these should also be able to be moderated; and which Moderators can moderate which notifications should be separate Moderator Permissions.

Glenn Glazer

I am generally in favor of making as many things as possible optional and up to groups to decide for themselves.

Best,

Glenn

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019, 10:21 Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

As I continue to work through notifications, questions arise.

Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?

I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications; at least I don't recall seeing such an option when posting photos/etc.

Nancy Funk

I like having the optional checkboxes, especially for calendar events. Our group tends to put placeholder events on the calendar without much info and then later updates the events and send them out to the group at that time.

Thomas McMahan

On Oct 1, 2019, at 12:21, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:I think they should still exist.

Hi All,

As I continue to work through notifications, questions arise.

Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?

I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications; at least I don't recall seeing such an option when posting photos/etc.

JenniferEverSews

To  Mark,
       re: In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? .......  should it be extended to all new notifications?
Yes, Yes!  Please keep checkboxes for optional notifications.  At least for mods & owners.
       At times we change a file or other because of a typo or other small tweak.  It may take a few tries to get it right.  Group members would not appreciate the emails they would receive as a result of that.

 ... Facebook?   Groups.io is better, that is why my groups are here.

I appreciate you provide a place like this group to give feedback.  Thank you for the effort & care you put into this website.
Jennifer
============
Mark wrote:
Right now, some existing notifications are optional. When adding a file, for example, you have a checkbox to notify the group. Same with creating a calendar event, a new chat, etc.
In the new system, should these checkboxes exist? That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?
I don't believe that Facebook lets you opt-out of sending notifications

Sharon Villines

Should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group? And if they should continue to have that option, should it be extended to all new notifications?
Certainly, the moderators should have it. Notifications confuse many people on lists. Unless there are routine notifications that everyone understands, I explain the notifications that will be coming. If I'm loading 4-5 files, I don't want a notification for each one of them. I would send my own notification explaining them.

If it is the file for the monthly meeting of elephants, then everyone understands the notice.

Sharonn

Anita L

I think the checkbox is a good idea. Then you can check the box or not.

What I would like is for you to have a checkbox when you add a photo to notify the group.

In Facebook under notifications you can have it posted or not.  You can also list someones name if you don't want them to see it. You can make it public or private also.

Anita

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 11:21 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I believe they should exist (for all items) if turning them off isn't going to be a group setting, with a default of off.  I'd also like to see it set so that someone can't send multiple notifications (of the same type?) within a short time if they can't be turned off.  (A recent reason for this is the Upload Directory where a notification is sent for each file uploaded.  In a test, that resulted in over 100 notifications!)

I've just changed the file upload/modified notification so that it should only send out one notification regardless of the number of files that are uploaded.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

In the new system, should these checkboxes exist?
That depends.

That is, should the person adding the file/creating the event/starting
the chat/etc continue to have the option to not notify the group?
No.

Let me unpack those two answers:

The checkbox currently says "Notify Members" members, but what it really means is "Message the group" - it creates a message that posts to the group's Messages/Topics and is sent to members per their Subscription Email options.

The new notices are different beasts. They don't become part of the group's Messages/Topics and are sent to members (or not) per the member's subscription Notifications options. Unlike messages, which ordinary members likely receive by email, I expect that only a few advanced members will enable email notifications, most will stick with the default "Web/App only.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/22228

So I would say if the checkbox remains then it continues to do what it does now, and checked or not should not affect the generation of an item in the notification system.

My inclination would be to remove the checkbox and thereby remove the "message the group" function they currently perform.

Shal

Mark,

J wrote:

I think they absolutely have to be optional for moderators.
I can almost see uses for moderators being able to upload files (or to take some other "notified" actions) without creating a notification entry. Mods / owners are particularly likely to undertake setup and organization tasks that might otherwise create a lot of nuisance notification items.

I would not want members to be able to do so.

If this is implemented I think it should not be piggy-backed on the existing checkbox, if that one remains, but should be a separate one with a clear name and description. For example:

|_| Do Not Notify

Checking this box prevents the generation of web or email notification
to group members for this upload.

Shal