Topics

moderated #wishlist Ability to Hide Topics/Posts #suggestion

Bryce Weathersby

Howdy,.,. I am fairly new to Groups.io so this may have been discussed or hashed already, but I would like a feature to able to Hide Topics/Messages. An example is we have a former member of our group who posted some things that may wind up in legal battles, so we would like to hold the messages, but not make them visible on the site anymore, so deleting them is not the option we want to follow. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryce,

... I would like a feature to able to Hide Topics/Messages.

I think this is a good suggestion, as I don't think the feature exists (yet).
In the More menu under each message is a Report This Message item which can be used to report the message to the group moderators or to Groups.io Support. Maybe that function should have an option (available only to moderators) to also hide the reported message from the view of members.

See also Hide Topic Function for an earlier request of this feature.

Shal

Bryce,

I wrote:
In the More menu under each message is a Report This Message item which can be used to report the message to the group moderators or to Groups.io Support. Maybe that function should have an option (available only to moderators) to also hide the reported message from the view of members.

After Re-reading the prior topic, and some consideration, I retract my suggestion.

Instead I think that Hide Topic (and possibly Hide Message) should be a standalone item in the More menu, equal to the existing Moderate Topic and Lock Topic items. I think that is clearer, and makes it easy to Unhide the topic later, just as one may Unmoderate or Unlock it.

I found a nice fontawesome icon for it: eye-slash:

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 04:45 PM, Bryce Weathersby wrote:
I would like a feature to able to Hide Topics/Messages.
I like the idea, if restricted to Topics, and given only to Owners and Moderators with the "edit archives" permission.

The ability to hide individual messages can create confusion when the remaining messages cannot be properly assessed in context. Yes, I understand that subscribers can already delete their own messages, thus creating the same problem -- I just don't want to provide another tool by which history can be altered.

The message archive is not a personal timeline à la Facebook, and I would be disappointed to see it treated as such.

My $0.02,
Bruce

Bruce,

I like the idea, if ... given only to Owners and Moderators with the
"edit archives" permission.
Yes, I believe that was the intent, similar to Locking or Moderating a topic.

The ability to hide individual messages can create confusion when the
remaining messages cannot be properly assessed in context.
True, but the use case I see for hiding just a single message would be in an otherwise valuable and/or important topic where just one or a few offending replies were made. Most likely, as in the OP's use case, the offending messages are destined to be deleted, but for whatever reasons need to be kept temporarily.

I leave it to the moderator to judge which is the better remedy (hiding the message(s) or the whole topic) based on their knowledge of the circumstances at hand.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Instead I think that Hide Topic (and possibly Hide Message) should be a standalone item in the More menu, equal to the existing Moderate Topic and Lock Topic items. I think that is clearer, and makes it easy to Unhide the topic later, just as one may Unmoderate or Unlock it.
Okay, upon further reflection I can go along with that.

Question: How does one find a hidden topic (or message) in order to unhide it later? How are they flagged so those with the proper privileges to see it know that other cannot (new status badge)?

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 08:01 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Question: How does one find a hidden topic (or message) in order to unhide it later?
That was brain fart on my part...Shal already suggested the eyeball-slash character as a label.

I still like the idea, but I guess I'm confusing myself with the use cases. This proposal is being pitched as the same as moderating or locking a topic, but it's not:
-- We're talking about being able to hide individual messages, which introduces a whole new level of granularity, and
-- The hidden material must remain visible to somebody, or we'll never be able to unhide it.

So who gets to see the hidden material? We already mentioned Owners and Moderators with the "edit archives" privilege, but do we include the subscriber who posted it, too? Is that person still allowed to delete or edit the message? Or is this yet another thing that needs to be set at the time of hiding?

Assuming we don't let the original post-er see it, then he won't be able to delete/edit it. But it seems to me that he at least needs to receive some kind of notification that his post has been hidden. Otherwise we're going to get a lot of inquiries to support/GMF to the effect that people's messages are disappearing.

Same goes for topics. Does a notification go to everyone who contributed to that topic? Or are we willing to just let topics mysteriously disappear without explanation?

These are some of the things I'm struggling with, and I don't think I've exhausted all the permutations yet.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

Question: How does one find a hidden topic (or message) in order to
unhide it later?
In my concept they remain visible to mods and owners.

How are they flagged so those with the proper privileges to see it
know that other cannot (new status badge)?
Like a locked or moderated topic, I proposed an eye-slash icon (badge) to the left of the subject text.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/22337

Like those other two, this would be an independent attribute that can be applied alone or in conjunction with the others.

Oh, interesting. The other two only stack up in search results. E.g.:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?ev=false&q=%22Thread+view%22&ct=1
In other views locked seems to take precedence over moderated.

I would want hidden to stack next to the other icon(s) if any, it shouldn't take precedence over either, nor should either take precedence over hidden.

If a "Hide Message" function were (also) implemented there's a small question of where to put the icon when looking at a topic containing that message (as the Subject text is only shown at the top of the topic page). I think it should still be at the top, so somewhere among the Posting member identification on the left and the date & message number on the right.

Shal

Bryce Weathersby

I accept all of the suggestions. In retrospect, I feel it could be a single message, or ultimately the entire topic. In my situation, most of the messages within the topic would need to go on lockdown as well since people replied to the original email, leaving the problematic message in their responses as well.

I also would not want anyone other than the owners or moderators to be able to modify or delete the messages. And to be perfectly honest, since legal actions could ensue, maybe even have a capability of locking it down so NO CHANGES could be made, except by the Owner.

I am just hashing out ideas. I do feel this could be a very valuable and powerful modification.

Bryce

Bruce,

--
Bryce Weathersby
President, Hill Country REACT #4804

Bruce,

So who gets to see the hidden material? ... but do we include the
subscriber who posted it, too? Is that person still allowed to delete
or edit the message?
My initial concept was "no", matching Bryce's use case.

On the other hand I generally support the notion that a member should have the right to remove their own material. I'm willing to consider modifying my stance to say that a message, while hidden, is effectively removed (to other group members it would seem as if someone deleted the topic or message), and group owners always have the right to remove content from their group. So it may be acceptable for an owner to "lock down" a message in this manner.

But it seems to me that he at least needs to receive some kind of
notification that his post has been hidden. Otherwise we're going to
get a lot of inquiries to support/GMF to the effect that people's
messages are disappearing.
Mods/owners can already delete member's content, and no notice is sent. So I don't think hiding would produce a larger support problem. Most likely the group owners themselves would be the first one's asked. I'm not sure if there are other use cases than Bryce's, but I'd almost expect hiding to be a less often used feature than deleting.

Now the question of unhiding a message might be a case requiring notice to the original poster, in case he/she wants to delete the message after all. That could be handled like an owner/mod editing a message (when they choose not to resend to the group).

In the case of hiding an entire topic, I still (or especially) say "no" to showing the hidden message(s) to their respective posters. That way I think just leads to confusion. Likewise, in this case I wouldn't send any notices when the topic is unhidden. From the members' point of view hiding is the same as deletion - until it gets unhidden anyway.

Shal