Topics

moderated change verbiage on log entry for forbidden new tag

I just found the following log entry in the group activity log and had no idea what it meant:

"[xyz member] sent message "[message subject]" with a new tag, has been asked to update subject via email"

This is incomprehensible! I emailed the member to find out what happened, but in the meantime, I figured out that what this entry is actually trying to say is (1) the member sent a message via email, (2) the message subject had a new hashtag, and (3), because members are not allowed create new hashtags in our group, the member was therefore asked to change the message subject. However, I thought, upon reading the entry, that the member was "asked to (update the subject via email)." Etc. The log entry does not parse correctly by any conceivable means.

Can this entry be changed to read something like
"[xyz member] sent message [message subject] via email, has been asked to remove the new tag and resend"

(or other, possibly better, suggestions)?

I literally could not parse the entry for about 10 minutes.

p.s. In addition to changing the verbiage, I think the attempted message should be recorded somewhere, possibly in the pending queue. Instead, it's just completely lost and i have no idea what this group member was trying to post. Unfortunately she's a very naive user and I have been trying to get her to post for months, but she's been afraid of the system. Now I fear she will be doubly so. I would like to get a copy of the text the system sent her asking her to change the subject of the message, so that we can possibly adjust that as well.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Drew

She may not have intended to use/create a hashtag at all but merely included a "#" character in some other context. So, any revised warning message should probably address that possibility (if it doesn't already) because the subscriber may not even know what a hashtag is.

BTW, the hashtag permission for the group can be set so that such messages are not bounced:

"Messages from subscribers can only be tagged with existing hashtags, new hashtags will be removed."

However, be aware- that could alter the meaning of the subscribers' subject lines in cases where they included a # character in some non-hashtag context.

Drew

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:
[...]
/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy
ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human
together. - Desmond Tutu/
/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu/

It was an intended hashtag. The subject was included in the log entry. And it did not bounce.

On Sep 25, 2019, at 8:52 AM, Drew <@af2z> wrote:

[...]

-- J
/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy
ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human
together. - Desmond Tutu/
/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu/

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
p.s. In addition to changing the verbiage, I think the attempted message should be recorded somewhere, possibly in the pending queue. Instead, it's just completely lost and i have no idea what this group member was trying to post.
Emails that violate hashtag rules (or perhaps other restrictions) are retained as Drafts...just as if they were composed online. The subscriber is sent an email with a link to that draft. They must subsequently log in to correct the problem and resubmit. Not denying that the message is inaccessible to group Owner/Moderators, but it seems to me that the process functions pretty well.

As for whether the log entry should be reworded, I'm ambivalent.

Regards,
Bruce

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:34 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
As for whether the log entry should be reworded, I'm ambivalent.
At the very least, the phrase "via email" should not be separated from what it refers to. It's very confusing. Thanks for the other info. I would still like to see the message the user receives. But I can do my own test.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I just found the following log entry in the group activity log and had no idea what it meant:

"[xyz member] sent message "[message subject]" with a new tag, has been asked to update subject via email"

There are 3 associated activity log messages:

"LogLine": "{{(ActivityUserDisplay .Activity true $.Group)}} sent message \"{{.Activity.Subject}}\" without any tags, has been asked to update subject"
"LogLine": "{{(ActivityUserDisplay .Activity true $.Group)}} sent message \"{{.Activity.Subject}}\" with a tag that only moderators can use, has been asked to update subject"
"LogLine": "{{(ActivityUserDisplay .Activity true $.Group)}} sent message \"{{.Activity.Subject}}\" with a new tag, has been asked to update subject"

When someone gets one of these messages, it contains a link to edit the message, much like a pending message (the same code is used, in fact). This is so they don't have to send the message again.

Happy to change the wording to make all these more clear.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks. I would make the following changes. I am including here the phrase "via email," which currently is appended to the log entry (but not included in your message) if the message was sent via email, and is the main source of confusion. I'm assuming the phrase "via web" is appending if the message was posted via web, and in which case, you can substitute "via web" in my suggested changes below. If you can't move that phrase (either "via email" or "via web") to directly after "sent message" (which would be my first choice but perhaps is not practical without major changes), you can clarify parsing by adding and deleting commas, as in the below:

1. change
without any tags, has been asked to update subject via email
without any tags and has been asked to add tag(s), via email

preference would be to put "via email" after "sent message" and then change the rest to
without any tags, has been asked to add tags

2. change
with a tag that only moderators can use, has been asked to update subject via email
with a tag that only moderators can use and has been to remove tag, via email

preference would be to put "via email" after "sent message" and then change the rest to
with a tag that only moderators can use, has been asked to remove tag

3. change
with a new tag, has been asked to update subject via email
with a disallowed new tag and has been asked to remove tag, via email

preference would be to put "via email" after "sent message" and then change the rest fo
with a disallowed new tag, has been asked to remove tag