Topics

moderated Feature Request: Referring new people to Groups.io

Drew

When I need to see something in groups.io as a non-subscriber or non-logged-in user would view it I open an incognito window in my browser and type in groups.io

For Firefox the shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+P
I believe Chrome was Ctrl+Shift+N

Not sure for other browsers but they will have something similar. Just search for incognito or privacy browsing for your particular browser.

Drew

On 09/19/19 15:34, Sharon Villines via Groups.Io wrote:
This morning, I tried to respond to a request for the best email discussion group provider with the address of Groups.io. It lead to much frustration. Every time I tried to go to a general page, I was reverted to my own list of groups. Even with a Google search the only page I could access was my own list of groups. I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features. This was a referral to a list of several hundred people each of whom probably has connections to at least three other Yahoo or Google groups.
Somehow I finally found the features page, but it took work.
Clicking on the logo on my list of groups would normally go to a home page with links to a home page. But the logo is also a link that returns me to my list of groups.
I think this is a major problem in the area of referring people who are likely to start new groups.
Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaDC@Groups.io
"Neighbors Talking to Neighbors”
Takoma Park DC and MD

Sharon,

I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features.

Maybe ignore my prior reply.

In the bottom bar of every page is a link to the Features page (https://groups.io/static/features). Which may be more exactly what you wanted.

Shal

Sharon,

Every time I tried to go to a general page, I was reverted to my own list of groups. ... I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features.

It may have seemed confusing to you, but the general Groups.io URL (https://groups.io/) shows the introductory page you want to someone not logged in:

image.png

So the key to seeing what you're sending is to log out, or use a second browser which isn't logged in

I think this is a major problem in the area of referring people who are likely to start new groups.

It isn't a problem for the people receiving the referral (who after all, are not likely to be logged in yet), but I can see where it is a confusion for those trying to give a referral.

Perhaps there should be another URL for that page (an alias, /intro maybe?) which displays the same whether logged in or not. It could even have its own button on the left just like the others (/feed, /groups, /topics, etc.). But I don't think it needs to be remembered as the default home page for the user, unlike the others.

Shal

The issue of which URL you're taken to vs. which URL you type in is a general problem in groups.io. I discovered only recently that of the URL's I had posted in my group as referrals to other cats groups, about half of them were taking non-members of those groups to the wrong place. I don't remember details. I just remember trying over and over again to get it to take me the right place, but every type I typed in a URL, it changed on me. The naming conventions (if that's the right term) seem weird.

Sharon Villines