Topics

moderated Feature Request: Referring new people to Groups.io

Sharon Villines

This morning, I tried to respond to a request for the best email discussion group provider with the address of Groups.io. It lead to much frustration. Every time I tried to go to a general page, I was reverted to my own list of groups. Even with a Google search the only page I could access was my own list of groups. I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features. This was a referral to a list of several hundred people each of whom probably has connections to at least three other Yahoo or Google groups.

Somehow I finally found the features page, but it took work.

Clicking on the logo on my list of groups would normally go to a home page with links to a home page. But the logo is also a link that returns me to my list of groups.

I think this is a major problem in the area of referring people who are likely to start new groups.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaDC@Groups.io
"Neighbors Talking to Neighbors”
Takoma Park DC and MD

The issue of which URL you're taken to vs. which URL you type in is a general problem in groups.io. I discovered only recently that of the URL's I had posted in my group as referrals to other cats groups, about half of them were taking non-members of those groups to the wrong place. I don't remember details. I just remember trying over and over again to get it to take me the right place, but every type I typed in a URL, it changed on me. The naming conventions (if that's the right term) seem weird.

Sharon,

Every time I tried to go to a general page, I was reverted to my own list of groups. ... I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features.

It may have seemed confusing to you, but the general Groups.io URL (https://groups.io/) shows the introductory page you want to someone not logged in:

image.png

So the key to seeing what you're sending is to log out, or use a second browser which isn't logged in

I think this is a major problem in the area of referring people who are likely to start new groups.

It isn't a problem for the people receiving the referral (who after all, are not likely to be logged in yet), but I can see where it is a confusion for those trying to give a referral.

Perhaps there should be another URL for that page (an alias, /intro maybe?) which displays the same whether logged in or not. It could even have its own button on the left just like the others (/feed, /groups, /topics, etc.). But I don't think it needs to be remembered as the default home page for the user, unlike the others.

Shal

Sharon,

I needed a link that would give them a description and list of features.

Maybe ignore my prior reply.

In the bottom bar of every page is a link to the Features page (https://groups.io/static/features). Which may be more exactly what you wanted.

Shal

Drew

When I need to see something in groups.io as a non-subscriber or non-logged-in user would view it I open an incognito window in my browser and type in groups.io

For Firefox the shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+P
I believe Chrome was Ctrl+Shift+N

Not sure for other browsers but they will have something similar. Just search for incognito or privacy browsing for your particular browser.

Drew