Topics

moderated Allow Group Users to Donate towards the premium upgrade directly to Groups.io #suggestion

Eric di Domenico

In my group, a lot of users are willing to pay for the Premium upgrade. So far, I paid for the year, several others have offered to participate but I don't want to start collecting money from people and having to manage an account for paying up the upgrade.

If users could donate directly towards the upgrade to Groups.io we would probably have several years of upgrade paid up already.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:04 AM, Eric di Domenico wrote:
In my group, a lot of users are willing to pay for the Premium upgrade. So far, I paid for the year, several others have offered to participate but I don't want to start collecting money from people and having to manage an account for paying up the upgrade.

If users could donate directly towards the upgrade to Groups.io we would probably have several years of upgrade paid up already.
Eric,

I think that feature may already exist. Take a look at this topic to see if it meets your needs:

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/21108

--
Gerald

Eric di Domenico

Hi Gerald, that doesn't work the same way. With the current Donation feature I would have to have an account and manage money.

I don't want to manage money, I want Groups.io to get all the money!

Scott Logan

In my group, a lot of users are willing to pay for the Premium upgrade.
So far, I paid for the year, several others have offered to participate
but I don't want to start collecting money from people and having to
manage an account for paying up the upgrade.

If users could donate directly towards the upgrade to Groups.io we would
probably have several years of upgrade paid up already.
As Gerald mentioned, this is available, but groups.io (understandably) charges a small fee to cover their credit card processing cost (and you have to have a stripe account).

When I recently moved a large group over from YG, I simply paid for the upgraded plan myself. After a bit, and having a couple of members mention it, I suggested that while not necessary, anyone who felt the need, could send me a donation via PayPal or mail a check. A little hassle but I did have a couple who did so. As long as the PayPal transfer is specified as sending to a friend, there is no charge.

Scott

Eric di Domenico

Scott, I would like the users of my group to be able to pay Groups.io directly. I don't want to accept donations because I suspect the donations would greatly surpass the premium cost for a year. If they could just keep "upping" the subscription we would have years of subscription paid up without me having to manage the finances of it.

Eric