Topics

moderated Changing Wiki page name breaks links #suggestion #done

Eric di Domenico

Changing the name of a page in the wiki should not break the link

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:54 AM Eric di Domenico <eric@...> wrote:
Changing the name of a page in the wiki should not break the link

The way things are now is that the Title is used to generate the URL. How would you propose to change it? Separating the title and URL when editing a page? That might be a bit confusing.

It matters if you change the name
When it makes the two things not the same.
To the first URL
If you say "fare thee well,"
Then that is the end of the game.

(Best I could do on short notice!:)

Mark,

The way things are now is that the Title is used to generate the URL.
How would you propose to change it?
My recommendation: Pemalinks (like message numbers). Assigned when the page is created, and never reused.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/28775194

How would you propose to change it? Separating the title and URL when
editing a page? That might be a bit confusing.
Or that, but I'd separate them at page creation.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/28775194#19359

Shal

Jason Diceman

This is a fatal flaw.

Especially if you have multiple pages interlinked and then change the title of one.

Many other wikis and CMS have solved this.  Maybe just needs a search & replace script across all wiki pages any time a title (thus URL) is changed.

Perma link ID works too, although makes for ugly URLs, I'd take that over broken links.

Pretty please.

Bill Hazel

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 01:09 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
My recommendation: Pemalinks (like message numbers). Assigned when the page is created, and never reused.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/28775194
Most people never look at URL's anyway. Try a YoutubeTVAxios or Amazon URL on for size.

Hi All,

I've changed the wiki. It now uses the wiki page id, a globally unique number, instead of the wiki page title. It is backwards compatible, in that it will redirect from a URL referencing a wiki title to the proper page. But note that if you change the title of a wiki page, it will still break existing links that utilize the old wiki page title.

Please let me know if you see any issues or have questions.

Thanks, Mark

Duane

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 05:52 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any issues or have questions.
I think this is related to the change, but I'm not 100% sure.  On the GMF wiki home page, there are some strange codes inserted into the links in the TOC, though the links seem to work fine.  One of them is item 2.1 https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki#28a29-Your-Groups.io-Account where I don't remember seeing the 28a29 before.  (This is a link to an item further down the page, not a separate page.)  I also don't see that part in the source code of the page.  A quick check doesn't show in on other TOCs, but I haven't checked them all.  Maybe it only happens on the home page?

I've also noticed that on some groups, clicking to get to the Wiki takes me to the group home page.  I know for sure that on one of them there are no wiki pages, though it's enabled, but I can't get in to create any pages.  I'm not sure whether the others have any pages or not, but it's not a graceful error.

Duane

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:35 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

I think this is related to the change, but I'm not 100% sure.  On the GMF wiki home page, there are some strange codes inserted into the links in the TOC, though the links seem to work fine.  One of them is item 2.1 https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki#28a29-Your-Groups.io-Account where I don't remember seeing the 28a29 before.  (This is a link to an item further down the page, not a separate page.)  I also don't see that part in the source code of the page.  A quick check doesn't show in on other TOCs, but I haven't checked them all.  Maybe it only happens on the home page?

I didn't change any of that code. The only difference is that the URL would be .../wiki#28a29.... instead of .../wiki/Home#28a29....  I don't know where the 28a29 stuff came from, but it's in the wiki page.

I've also noticed that on some groups, clicking to get to the Wiki takes me to the group home page.  I know for sure that on one of them there are no wiki pages, though it's enabled, but I can't get in to create any pages.  I'm not sure whether the others have any pages or not, but it's not a graceful error.

Should be fixed now.

Jason Diceman

Thanks Mark!
Works for me and my new wiki.   Old wikis with lots of pages and internal links would probably appreciate an option to search-replace title links with ID links.
Thanks again. Impressed with responsiveness.  Well done!