moderated consider "Like" a follow #suggestion

I just "Liked" a post in another group but realize, since I'm "FF R" in that group, I won't get replies unless I specifically respond to it, which I don't really want to do (because I have nothing to say). What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just "Liked" a post
Excuse me, a *message*. ;)

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

p.s. The idea is to make a "Like" an automatic follow, so that you don't have go in and follow the topic by hand, which of course can be done. 
--
J

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 08:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?
While I might choose to "like" a post (excuse me, a message) while reading online, I really don't want that to override my email delivery settings. 

Regards,
Bruce

J,

What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?

There was an earlier suggestion that the Message Selection controls be added to group message/topic pages, rather than be hidden away only on the global /topics and hashtag pages. Would that do what you want?

Maybe Follow (for those who are Following Only) could appear as a star next to the Like button centered on the bar below the message. Even though the follow applies to the whole topic, and I know that the /topics page uses a button at the top for this function, I dislike forcing the user to scroll to the top or some other place to find it. I would change it there too if I could. Or maybe have it both ways.

Likewise Mute could appear as a circle-slashed speaker icon in that position, for those who are All Messages.

If that's considered too brazen, or consumes too much space for mobile, I think they should at least be added to the More menu.

I think there was a years-ago concern that exposing these controls in the group's Messages/Topics would be too confusing for web-reading members, who don't directly get to see their effect. I think that could adequately addressed with tooltip text ("Follow this topic in email") or similar means.

Shal

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:26 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I really don't want that to override my email delivery settings. 
Fair enough. Right now there's an "autofollow replies" setting. There could be an "autofollow Likes" setting. Just a thought.

--
J

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:56 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
There was an earlier suggestion that the Message Selection controls be added to group message/topic pages, rather than be hidden away only on the global /topics and hashtag pages. Would that do what you want?
I recall that, of course. I got clobbered in it for responding that there are controls on the overall groups.io page. ;)
No, I'm suggesting something akin to "autofollow replies." It would be more automatic than having to go to any page or message and following by hand.

--
J

J,

No, I'm suggesting something akin to "autofollow replies." It would be more automatic than having to go to any page or message and following by hand.

Hm... I was imagining someone clicking the Like button on the web interface - putting the Follow button right next to it wouldn't require you to go anywhere else.

If you're doing likes by email maybe that could count as a Follow, since it is a kind of reply. Maybe it does already if you have R with your FF. Otherwise you'd have to click Follow in the footer in addition to reply with Like.

Shal

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:02 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I was imagining someone clicking the Like button on the web interface - putting the Follow button right next to it wouldn't require you to go anywhere else.

Oh, I see what you mean. I was imagining that "Follow" would be on the topic rather than an individual message, whereas "Like" is on an individual message. And I was imagining that if the person has checked "Autofollow Likes" in their advanced settings, then as with Autofollow replies, they would follow any topic in which they'd "Liked" a message. But yes, putting "Follow" on every individual message would be more in line with being able to "Follow" from within any individual message of a topic. 

--
J

p.s. Either it's late, or this is really beginning to sound like gobble-de-gook. ;)
--
J