moderated consider "Like" a follow #suggestion

I just "Liked" a post in another group but realize, since I'm "FF R" in that group, I won't get replies unless I specifically respond to it, which I don't really want to do (because I have nothing to say). What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just "Liked" a post
Excuse me, a *message*. ;)

p.s. The idea is to make a "Like" an automatic follow, so that you don't have go in and follow the topic by hand, which of course can be done.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 08:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?
While I might choose to "like" a post (excuse me, a message) while reading online, I really don't want that to override my email delivery settings.

Regards,
Bruce

J,

What about considering a "Like" to be a follow?

There was an earlier suggestion that the Message Selection controls be added to group message/topic pages, rather than be hidden away only on the global /topics and hashtag pages. Would that do what you want?

Maybe Follow (for those who are Following Only) could appear as a star next to the Like button centered on the bar below the message. Even though the follow applies to the whole topic, and I know that the /topics page uses a button at the top for this function, I dislike forcing the user to scroll to the top or some other place to find it. I would change it there too if I could. Or maybe have it both ways.

Likewise Mute could appear as a circle-slashed speaker icon in that position, for those who are All Messages.

If that's considered too brazen, or consumes too much space for mobile, I think they should at least be added to the More menu.

I think there was a years-ago concern that exposing these controls in the group's Messages/Topics would be too confusing for web-reading members, who don't directly get to see their effect. I think that could adequately addressed with tooltip text ("Follow this topic in email") or similar means.

Shal

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:26 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I really don't want that to override my email delivery settings.
Fair enough. Right now there's an "autofollow replies" setting. There could be an "autofollow Likes" setting. Just a thought.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:56 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
There was an earlier suggestion that the Message Selection controls be added to group message/topic pages, rather than be hidden away only on the global /topics and hashtag pages. Would that do what you want?
I recall that, of course. I got clobbered in it for responding that there are controls on the overall groups.io page. ;)
No, I'm suggesting something akin to "autofollow replies." It would be more automatic than having to go to any page or message and following by hand.

J,

No, I'm suggesting something akin to "autofollow replies." It would be more automatic than having to go to any page or message and following by hand.

Hm... I was imagining someone clicking the Like button on the web interface - putting the Follow button right next to it wouldn't require you to go anywhere else.

If you're doing likes by email maybe that could count as a Follow, since it is a kind of reply. Maybe it does already if you have R with your FF. Otherwise you'd have to click Follow in the footer in addition to reply with Like.

Shal

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:02 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I was imagining someone clicking the Like button on the web interface - putting the Follow button right next to it wouldn't require you to go anywhere else.

Oh, I see what you mean. I was imagining that "Follow" would be on the topic rather than an individual message, whereas "Like" is on an individual message. And I was imagining that if the person has checked "Autofollow Likes" in their advanced settings, then as with Autofollow replies, they would follow any topic in which they'd "Liked" a message. But yes, putting "Follow" on every individual message would be more in line with being able to "Follow" from within any individual message of a topic.

p.s. Either it's late, or this is really beginning to sound like gobble-de-gook. ;)