Topics

Muting from the web interface

Bruce Bowman

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but...is there a way to mute a topic via the web interface?

I realize muting won't actually keep it from displaying in the message archive, and maybe that's why ("I clicked on the mute link and the topic is still there"). But there have been many times that I've been reading a thread online, and NOT enjoying it, and would really like to keep any subsequent messages out of my inbox. Having to separately launch my mail client, find one of the offending posts, and mute the thread through a footer link involves a lot of extra steps when maybe I could have done it right then and there.

Thanks to all for your consideration.

Bruce

..is there a way to mute a topic via the web interface?

Yes. As you, Bruce, are fond of saying, the Help page is your friend. :)

Managing muted and followed topics

The Groups.io home page provides a place to manage the topics you've muted or followed in all of your group subscriptions. The default home page show a list of all of your group subscriptions.

 To get there click on the Groups.io logo in the upper left corner.

In the left column you can select a page showing all of the topics from all of your groups, or just those topics you've Muted, or just those topics you've Followed. To change your options for a specific topic find it in one of those lists and click on it. Then you can use the buttons at the top of the topic display to change its selection options.

 - Stop email delivery of messages in an unmuted topic.

 - Restore email delivery of messages in a muted topic.

 - Begin email delivery of messages in a topic you are not following.

 - Stop email delivery of messages in a topic you are following.

Note that follow buttons are shown even when your subscription is set to All Messages and muting buttons are shown even when your subscription is set to Following Only. This is for two reasons: first, this allows you to control where messages are displayed here in the Groups.io home page; and second, you may use these buttons to set options on particular topics before you change your message selection mode.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 03:04 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
is there a way to mute a topic via the web interface?
As J said, there is, but not from within a group.  Mark, please consider this a request to add the Mute/Unmute and Follow/Unfollow buttons (or possibly on the More menu) to the topic view within a group.

Duane

Absolutely agree that the current feature is awkward and less than useful and that being able to mute/follow from a group would be a hugely valuable addition.