Topics

moderated "Emailed Files" folder

Bruce Bowman

It would be handy to have a system-created "Emailed Files" folder from which non-image message attachments can be more readily examined.

I envision the controls to be similar to what's available in the existing "Emailed Photos" folder. As with "Emailed Photos," file attachments could be deleted from this folder without generating a notification.

This has been discussed tangentially before, but as best I can tell never presented as a proposal. As for whether this should actually replace the functionality currently found at https://groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/attachments, I haven't decided on that yet.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

As for whether this should actually replace the functionality
currently found at https://groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/attachments, I
haven't decided on that yet.
I would say "yes", with the possibility of leaving the link behind on the Upgrade/Billing page, updated to point to this new folder.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 04:03 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
As for whether this should actually replace the functionality
currently found at https://groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/attachments, I
haven't decided on that yet.
I would say "yes", with the possibility of leaving the link behind on the Upgrade/Billing page, updated to point to this new folder.
The main thing that's keeping me from going there is that the "View attachments" page is currently the only means available to delete little sig line images and so on that may be accumulating behind the scenes (Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/30721218#20482).

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

The main thing that's keeping me from going there is that the "View
attachments" page is currently the only means available to delete
little sig line images and so on that may be accumulating behind the
scenes
I didn't mean to imply that it would be any less capable than the existing page, when seen by moderators.

That would be one difference with an Emailed Files folder - it would be visible to members (if files are at all), but its edit controls should be governed by the same rules as messages regarding moderator versus member.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 08:09 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I didn't mean to imply that it would be any less capable than the existing page, when seen by moderators.
Shal -- I didn't take it that way. I guess to fully explain myself I should start at the beginning.

There have been many complaints over time about sig-line images and so on proliferating in the Emailed Photos folder. In an attempt to address this, on or around March 22 of this year Mark decided to no longer index and display images less than 100 pixels in either dimension in that folder. See the link to that thread in my previous message.

Those little images are still proliferating, and still counting against quota. So the change only addressed half the problem.

If your goal as a group Owner is to get rid of them rather than just hide them, there are two ways remaining to do that:

1) Look them up via the "View Attachments" page (which serves as an alternate index to the affected messages*), or
2) Painstakingly search through all the messages and edit them out, one by one.

If we take away the "View Attachments" page (which includes photos), replacing it with "Emailed Files" (which presumably would not), there will be no way to do #1 above. That's why I remain reluctant to see it go away.

As for how much of a problem this really is, I don't know. Depends on how many of those little images your group receives, I guess.

Regards,
Bruce

*Conveniently sorted by file size

Bruce,

If we take away the "View Attachments" page (which includes photos),
replacing it with "Emailed Files" (which presumably would not), there
will be no way to do #1 above.
I see.

The simplest solution I can think of would be to continue including image files as files in that folder.

That would mean exempting them from control by the "Allow Photos In Files" checkbox (in the Files part of the Features section of the group's Settings page) - treating this folder as allowing photos regardless. At least until such time as a better solution for those images is implemented.

It would also mean that larger images would be listed in both places, but I don't really see that as a problem. Images files have a dual nature: they are files and they are photos (casually speaking, a photographer may object to calling an image a photo unless it traces back to a camera).

Shal