Topics

moderated #featurerequest Drop Down Retains Choice #suggestion

Sharon Villines

I the archives the default view is "topics". I never look at messages by topic and have been missing messages because only the first message is shown in this view. I just didn't notice what was happening because I don't belong to a list that emphasizes subjects.

But I have to choose messages everytime I look at one of the groups.io websites.

Perhaps if the program can't set a preferred view for each user, it could be an option for to set for each list.

Sharon

Duane

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 06:11 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:
I have to choose messages everytime I look at one of the groups.io websites.
Only if you get to your messages page via the Your Groups drop down or the overview page because those are hard coded to go to Topics.  If you're in your group and use the Messages on the left, it will be the same way it was the last time you were there.

Duane

I've been requesting this for a long time as well. I have just gotten used to putting up with it. I've read Duane's solution (here and before, when I've brought this up) but I don't think it should be necessary to do that.

Sharon,

Perhaps if the program can't set a preferred view for each user, ...
Duane got it almost right.

It does remember the most recent view for each user. Sort of*.

The fly in the ointment is the Your Groups page, which is hard coded to the /topics view. I've learned to avoid that page.

The Your Groups drop-list and the Messages link in the left column conform to your most recent view selection. Except for Polls view, that doesn't get remembered.

Shal
*Technical detail: Mark cheated. Instead of actually storing the user's selection in a cookie or something, he's re-written the page elements that link to messages/topics to conform to the current selection. Which is why the the Your Groups page doesn't change: it isn't part of the current page when you select a view and can't be rewritten on the fly.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 05:24 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
the Your Groups page, which is hard coded to the /topics view. I've learned to avoid that page
Right and IMHO learning to avoid various views or pages should not be necessary, and should not be remotely expected of naive users, let alone the likes of us. So people go on and on accepting being taken to "Topics" and having through to "Messages," ad infinitum, when it would seem to be so simple to implement what Sharon suggests: a preferred view for each account.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 05:28 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
should not be remotely expected of naive users, let alone the likes of us.
That came out backwards. :)

Sharon Villines

It appears that what you have to do is

1. select your choice from the dropdown menu and then
2. click messages in the left menu to set your choice.

Very circuitous since you selct "messages" on the left if even if you choose "topics" in the drop down menu. Not very intuitive. "Messages" is being used both as a category name for all messages however they are viewed and as a distinct way of viewing one part of that category. A word needs to mean only one thing within a context.

Also not intuitive to have a different landing page from the home page.

Sharon

Gleaning also from Ken K's post (or "message";) about terminology, there are three terms in use, sometimes interchangeably: message, post, and topic. I don't think a scattershot approach to fixing the terminology here and there is the best idea. I think someone needs to sit down, find all occurrences in the UI of all three terms, and figure out how to use them consistently. I think this would take less time than fixing one occurrence and having another inconsistency pop up elsewhere over and over again.