Topics

Feature Request---Group Buys

Dale Hardin
 

Many of the amateur radio groups I belong too have someone offer to run a group buy or purchase parts for distribution to group members.  As a result, there are a lot of "I want one too"  and "put me on the list" messages.  It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list maintained by a feature of group.io.  Regards, Dale

Gerald Boutin
 

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Dale Hardin wrote:
Many of the amateur radio groups I belong too have someone offer to run a group buy or purchase parts for distribution to group members.  As a result, there are a lot of "I want one too"  and "put me on the list" messages.  It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list maintained by a feature of group.io.  Regards, Dale

 Dale,

The Database feature can accommodate that type of list. The Groups.io Database is limited in functionality, so I would not consider it secure for large financial transactions. But for a friendly group of hams, it probably will suffice.

I hardly ever play with Databases, but it only took a few minutes to put together a sample "Group Buy" table. I included brief documentation in the description to give you an idea of how I did the set up. You can certainly add more columns for more information.


--
Gerald, VE1DT

Duane
 

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:56 PM, Dale Hardin wrote:
It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list
I'd like to see something like this as well.  I currently have people contact me via a private reply, but keeping the information straight can be difficult at times, especially when there's a large demand for something.  Maybe it could be included in the previously requested Classified Ad/Marketplace page?

A sudden thought.  If there were an option on a database to allow only the table owner and the row owner to see/edit a particular row, that might be an easier implementation.

Duane

Dale Hardin
 

The database would work fine, but for the privacy issue.  If the database were enhanced to allow only the moderator, table creator, and row owner to be able to see a particular column, say an address column, then the database would work perfectly.  Dale

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Dale Hardin wrote:
Many of the amateur radio groups I belong too have someone offer to run a group buy or purchase parts for distribution to group members.  As a result, there are a lot of "I want one too"  and "put me on the list" messages.  It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list maintained by a feature of group.io.  Regards, Dale

 Dale,

The Database feature can accommodate that type of list. The Groups.io Database is limited in functionality, so I would not consider it secure for large financial transactions. But for a friendly group of hams, it probably will suffice.

I hardly ever play with Databases, but it only took a few minutes to put together a sample "Group Buy" table. I included brief documentation in the description to give you an idea of how I did the set up. You can certainly add more columns for more information.


--
Gerald, VE1DT



--
Dale Hardin
24750 State St. Unit 487
Elberta, AL 36530
251-597-9256

Dale Hardin
 

My group owner asked for help in enabling the database function.  He could not figure out how to do it.  I can't help because I don't know what the admin. menu looks like.  I have searched for a list of steps online, but haven't been successful.  Is there, or could someone put together a list of steps to enable the database function?  Thanks, Dale

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM Dale Hardin via Groups.Io <joe.dale.hardin=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The database would work fine, but for the privacy issue.  If the database were enhanced to allow only the moderator, table creator, and row owner to be able to see a particular column, say an address column, then the database would work perfectly.  Dale

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Dale Hardin wrote:
Many of the amateur radio groups I belong too have someone offer to run a group buy or purchase parts for distribution to group members.  As a result, there are a lot of "I want one too"  and "put me on the list" messages.  It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list maintained by a feature of group.io.  Regards, Dale

 Dale,

The Database feature can accommodate that type of list. The Groups.io Database is limited in functionality, so I would not consider it secure for large financial transactions. But for a friendly group of hams, it probably will suffice.

I hardly ever play with Databases, but it only took a few minutes to put together a sample "Group Buy" table. I included brief documentation in the description to give you an idea of how I did the set up. You can certainly add more columns for more information.


--
Gerald, VE1DT



--
Dale Hardin
24750 State St. Unit 487
Elberta, AL 36530
251-597-9256



--
Dale Hardin
24750 State St. Unit 487
Elberta, AL 36530
251-597-9256

Gerald Boutin
 

Dale,

Here is the Database Permission setting in the Admin menu.


Here are the choices.



--
Gerald

Dale Hardin
 

Thanks.  Any chance to get hidden  personal info column for group buys?  Regards, Dale


On Thu, Aug 22, 2019, 9:34 PM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
Dale,

Here is the Database Permission setting in the Admin menu.


Here are the choices.



--
Gerald