Topics

moderated Group "join" page not accessible when logged in

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 03:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
One missing link
oops, I meant that metaphorically, although you could say there is literally a "missing link" in that the join page doesn't exist if you're logged in.

Ok, I see. One missing link seems to be that if you're logged in, there IS no "join page" like there is when you're logged out. If you're logged in, all you can do is click on the "apply for membership" link on the group home page, which takes you to the "joined" page (the URL with the word "joined"). There's no intermediate page. So it seems like Mark inadvertently didn't take the logged-in case into account.

Bruce Bowman

The key here (as per the subject line) is whether you are logged in or not.

Here's the corresponding URL in a group you're not a member of, so you can practice:  https://groups.io/g/BowmanFamily/join  <--note: not "joined"

Click on the above link, and you'll be redirected to your groups list. Rather mysterious, especially after the 510 bounce message you just received told you it would work.

Now log out of groups.io, and try again. Voila'!

Regards,
Bruce

Just mystified, so I checked again. The code does contain the word "join," but seems to be the action ("join group") rather than a URL. If you change the word "join" in Bruce's original link to "joined," you get taken to the group's home page with a banner saying you have not yet joined the group, and you can then click on the join button. Perhaps that was the intention?

Wait a minute, that can't be right. The actual code has "join." Obviously my fact-checking is deficient. I'm staying out of this. :)

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:49 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Duane. In that case it seems the actual URL has "joined" but the button says "join" so one of them needs to be changed.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 01:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
How and where are you getting to the apply-to-group URL with the word "join"?
I checked the page source and it uses the word join on the button.

Thanks, Duane. In that case it seems the actual URL has "joined" but the button says "join" so one of them needs to be changed.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 01:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
How and where are you getting to the apply-to-group URL with the word "join"?
I checked the page source and it uses the word join on the button.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 01:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
How and where are you getting to the apply-to-group URL with the word "join"?
I checked the page source and it uses the word join on the button.

Duane

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
How and where are you getting to the apply-to-group URL with the word "join"
I mean, since that one doesn't take you to the right place, and since you can't see what the apply-to-group URL is without actually going there by clicking on the button.

Ok. I am checking my "fact checking" right now: How and where are you getting to the apply-to-group URL with the word "join"?

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:28 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 01:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Well, I just checked and the URL has the word "joined," not "join." So maybe one of those has to change.
That URL only shows up if you have *already* applied to join. Please check your fact-checking.

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 01:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Well, I just checked and the URL has the word "joined," not "join." So maybe one of those has to change.
That URL only shows up if you have *already* applied to join. Please check your fact-checking.

Bruce

Well, I just checked and the URL has the word "joined," not "join." So maybe one of those has to change.
(To the owner of TeaneckShul: I didn't mean to apply to your group! That was just a test! Your group was at the top of the list of groups.:-)

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 9:24 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Or maybe it's because for a restricted group, the link is to "apply for membership," not "join"?
For Restricted groups the button text on the home page changes but the URL is no different. So I don't think that's it.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Or maybe it's because for a restricted group, the link is to "apply for membership," not "join"?
For Restricted groups the button text on the home page changes but the URL is no different. So I don't think that's it.

Regards,
Bruce

Or maybe it's because for a restricted group, the link is to "apply for membership," not "join"?

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 8:03 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bug. Wasn't there something about a recent change to the naming scheme? Wonder whether it could be the result of that.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 7:51 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
If you attempt to send a message to a group that you're not [yet] subscribed to, an error message is returned. It says, in part:

Unfortunately, if you happen to be logged in when you click on the provided link, you don't land on the join page. Instead, you're re-directed to the list of groups you're already subscribed to (at https://groups.io/groups).

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature...perhaps someone here can clarify.

Thanks,
Bruce