moderated Comcast throttling

Hi All,

It appears that Comcast has been throttling messages from us for the past several hours. These messages should eventually be delivered, once Comcast lifts the throttle. If you're a Comcast user, well I guess you're not going to see this anytime soon, but if you do, I'd appreciate it if you could complain to them. I think that helps.

Thanks,
Mark

Ellen Moody

I am comcast user and I've been getting all the messages. I also reach my lists with no trouble.  Ellen

._,_._,_

Douglas Swearingen

Comcast may not be the only one doing this today.  I sent a message to my group through Outlook about 30 minutes ago.  So far, that message has  not arrived in my group.

Just a heads up about a possible Outlook problem.

Doug

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 12:47 AM
To: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Comcast throttling

Hi All,

It appears that Comcast has been throttling messages from us for the past several hours. These messages should eventually be delivered, once Comcast lifts the throttle. If you're a Comcast user, well I guess you're not going to see this anytime soon, but if you do, I'd appreciate it if you could complain to them. I think that helps.

Thanks,
Mark

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Just ran some tests and no issues here. Outlook.com to and from GIO are practically instantaneous.

--
Gerald

Douglas Swearingen

I just looked at my group as well.  No problem now with either Outlook or Comcast.  As Gerald says the posts are now instantaneous.

Doug

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 12:19 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] Comcast throttling

Just ran some tests and no issues here. Outlook.com to and from GIO are practically instantaneous.

--
Gerald

Mark,

A GMF member reported a response text from Comcast that included this link:
http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#RL000003

I don't know if you've seen that page but it is somewhat interesting, saying that the rate limiting is adaptive to the IP address' historic traffic levels. Which implies Groups.io may periodically bump into this as traffic expands due to new group formation and/or seasonal group usage. More interestingly, it provides a phone number for you (the sender) to contact.

Or is this just a been there/done that rabbit hole?

Shal

David Walker

In the link above for the RL000003 error, there is a note that says:

If the rate-limit is impacting your ability to deliver email, shortening your server's delivery retry interval should resolve the issue.

What retry interval does groups.io use if the destination server answers with an HTTP 421 response?

David Walker