Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • BUGFIX: We were not logging when a moderator changed a user's display name.
  • INTERNAL: A lot of work to support the API/app.
  • BUGFIX: Links in wiki pages were unintentionally opening in new browser windows.
  • NEW: You can now view past member +Owner messages.
  • CHANGE: When attempting to view member only parts of a group after you've been banned, instead of saying you were banned, we now say 'You are not a member of this group.'

The next #changelog will be sent on August 9th.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mark

Mark,

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
BUGFIX: We were not logging when a moderator changed a user's display name.
Yay! I have been requesting this for more than a year!

  • NEW: You can now view past member +Owner messages.
Yay to this, too!

  • CHANGE: When attempting to view member only parts of a group after you've been banned, instead of saying you were banned, we now say 'You are not a member of this group.'

And to this. Home run.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 05:15 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
BUGFIX: We were not logging when a moderator changed a user's display name.
Mark; thanks for that one in particular! Not that it is necessarily a frequent requirement...

Chris

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
BUGFIX: We were not logging when a moderator changed a user's display name.
In case anyone else has noticed this and wondered what's going on: I have let Mark know via support that this fix resulted in a new bug, wherein if you change member X's posting status, it results in a false log entry "moderator changed display name from X to X."

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:53 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
if you change member X's posting status,
I'm pretty sure the log entry results from other (and pretty much any) action on the member's page, but I have not specifically verified this.

The bugs here are:
1. No change was made to anyone's display name
2. The log entry reads as if the moderator changed their own display name
3. The log entry says the display name was changed "from X to X" (i.e., from previous name to the same name - no change)
4. The log entry appears in the group's Member Activity log
5. The log entry appears as a result of a moderator changing the member's posting status (and possibly after making any other change to the page)

Chris Jones

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 02:03 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The bugs here are:
(etc)

I would agree in part. I did a couple of "test changes" immediately after seeing Mark's Update (hence my message above) and found that the change in Display name did appear. So I would disagree with (1) above, and by extension I disagree with (3) because a difference was recorded. I would agree that at first glance it does look slightly as though they changed their own name, but if you read between the lines it is sort of clear that they didn't; as a result I would say (2) above nearly applies!

(4) is true but incomplete; the change appears in the Activity Log, but a search of the Moderator Activity Log won't find it, while a search in Member Activity will.

I cannot comment on (5) because I haven't tried changing anyone's posting status to see if it is correctly logged.

(4) is the subject of some ongoing discussion on GMF.

Chris

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 08:56 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I would disagree with (1) above,
You can disagree, but it's a fact. I am talking about a case in which no display name was changed. I did not test *actually* changing a display name and at this point have no idea what happens when you do. They are two separate cases.

 I disagree with (3) because a difference was recorded

Again: a fact. The system logs a "change" in display name when none occurred, and it logs it as "changed from x to x" where x did not change.

(4) is the subject of some ongoing discussion on GMF.

Glad to hear others have noticed and are concerned about this feature in general. For YEARS I had been trying to get display name changes by moderators logged, and for years, Mark would tell me the system simply doesn't log that. Now he seems to have gone overboard in reverse, logging mods' changing display names when they did no such thing. :)

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am talking about a case in which no display name was changed.
I would agree with J on this.  I've just tested it on my group and if I open a member record and then just click the save button an activity log entry is generated about a display name change.

Also, I tried changing the subscription setting and posting privileges (separate tests).. This were correctly recorded in the activity but both were also accompanied by another entry in the activity log about a display name change when there was none.

Andy

Yep. Every time a mod even touches the member page, it's logged as if the mod changed their own display name from "member's original display name" to "member's original display name." That's what I suspected.

I don't even want to LOOk to see what happens when you actually change someone's display name! LOL

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 9:17 AM Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am talking about a case in which no display name was changed.
I would agree with J on this.  I've just tested it on my group and if I open a member record and then just click the save button an activity log entry is generated about a display name change.

Also, I tried changing the subscription setting and posting privileges (separate tests).. This were correctly recorded in the activity but both were also accompanied by another entry in the activity log about a display name change when there was none.

Andy

J,

Glad to hear others have noticed and are concerned about this feature in general.

Yup. I also have a ticket open with support.

For YEARS I had been trying to get display name changes by moderators logged, and for years,

In my first test I (an owner) changed a member's (not mod/owner) Display Name and it was logged as a change of moderator permissions. That caused my report to support.

After Mark reported here that the Display Name changes are now recorded I ran the same test again and this time it was recorded, but not entirely correctly. It was recorded as a Display Name change, citing my owner account as the actor, and showing the X (before) and Y (after) of the member's Display name, but not showing the member's email (your item 2). Also logged under member activity (your item 4).

Now he seems to have gone overboard in reverse, logging mods' changing display names when they did no such thing. :)

Yeah, it seems rather muddled. I haven't tried the other owner actions you cite, but I suspect I'd get similar errant results.

Shal

Chris Jones

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can disagree, but it's a fact. I am talking about a case in which no display name was changed. I did not test *actually* changing a display name and at this point have no idea what happens when you do. They are two separate cases.

 I disagree with (3) because a difference was recorded

Again: a fact. The system logs a "change" in display name when none occurred, and it logs it as "changed from x to x" where x did not change.
Ah; a situation you did not mention originally, whereby a Moderator Saves an unchanged page, which makes your #21804 a bit misleading!

Chris

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 09:29 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
which makes your #21804 a bit misleading!
Who, me, misleading? Never!!! ;) I did mention it originally but not in that standalone post. :)

Two more problems here: (1) When a moderator first sets a member's display name, it is logged as if the moderator set their own display name ("via the web"). (2)  When the member changes their own display, that seems not to be logged at all in their activity page. I found this out by seeing posts by someone named "BR" (initials changed to protect identity) and could not figure out who it was. We use the member name + their cat's name and ask people not to change it. But this member had changed hers to "BR" without it having even been logged.

Hi All,

I've gone through and I think I've fixed all the problems. Here are the relevant #changelog entries.

- CHANGE: Tweaked the wording of 'Changed display name' activity log entries to be more clear.
- BUGFIX: If someone had changed their display name for a particular subscription, and then changed their display name through their overall profile, an activity log was generated incorrectly saying that the modified display name had been changed, even though it had not.
- NEW: There is a new activity log entry type, 'Moderator changed display name'.
- BUGFIX: Display name activity log records were generated even when the display name wasn't changed when editing a member.

Please let me know if you see anything else.

JenniferEverSews

Thank you for the work you do to make the groups user friendly!
Jennifer

Still a few problems:

1. a member who changed their display name was logged as changing it from "" [shows as blank] to "actual name"
2. a moderator changing member's display name was logged as setting (not changing) it:
e.g. "xyz set abc member's display from P to Q"

Might still be more, have not yet given this a real workout.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:13 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Still a few problems:

1. a member who changed their display name was logged as changing it from "" [shows as blank] to "actual name"

That's on purpose. I opted to always show the before and after, even if one is blank; the theory being that it'd make it easier to track changes over time.

2. a moderator changing member's display name was logged as setting (not changing) it:
e.g. "xyz set abc member's display from P to Q"

I've changed that from 'set' to 'changed'.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I opted to always show the before and after, even if one is blank
I think it's better to say "set" in that case. But could be persuaded otherwise...it seemed that you had "set" and "changed" mixed up. You'd say "changed" when it was actually just being set (i.e., changed from "blank") and "set" when it was actually being changed. You've fixed the latter, so maybe with that fixed the former won't look so bad.