Topics

moderated Direct Add/Invite/File Sync changes

Hi All,

I just pushed a bunch of changes/additions and wanted to call them out here (in addition to appearing the #changelog later tonight).

- CHANGE: Moved 'Member Sync' button from Settings to Members, and renamed it 'Service Sync'. Also cleaned up formatting of the page.

- NEW: In Direct Add and Invite, you can now select the member notice to include in the page. Edits to the member notice are no longer saved to the member notice. Also, in Member Notices, no direct add or invite notices are labeled as Active.

- NEW: There's a new 'File Sync' button in Members, for the new file sync functionality. You can now sync your membership to a file. This is restricted to premium groups only and to parent groups only.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Mark,
I use Direct Add every day and use it with a modified notification to the new user. Am I going to be able to add a document of my own that contains all the special information and use that instead of or in addition to the standard notice?

This seems like it will impact the volume of my daily work pretty significantly.

Thanks
Signe Maximous
Vice President
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:20 PM Signe Maximous <signe@...> wrote:

I use Direct Add every day and use it with a modified notification to the new user. Am I going to be able to add a document of my own that contains all the special information and use that instead of or in addition to the standard notice?

Yep. It really isn't a huge change and may help you.

Cheers,
Mark

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
In Direct Add and Invite, you can now select the member notice to include in the page. Edits to the member notice are no longer saved to the member notice. Also, in Member Notices, no direct add or invite notices are labeled as Active.
Great, this is getting somewhere. I am eager for the same changes to be made for Rejected Subscription. It is a PITA to have to choose an active message before rejecting a subscription and then change it back each time.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 03:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
same changes to be made for Rejected Subscription
Also Removed Member.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 03:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark -- Perhaps I'm just being ignorant, but I still don't understand what you mean by "Member Sync" and "File Sync." Does it bear on this thread from last week: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/32286937?

Perhaps it will be further explained in the weekly update.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 03:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Edits to the member notice are no longer saved to the member notice.
I am eternally grateful for this!

Bruce

Thanks. I'm going to try the changed messages now.

Signe

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 09:18 PM, I wrote:
I still don't understand what you mean by "Member Sync" and "File Sync."
Having browsed around a bit, I understand now. "Service Sync" is the existing Slack Integration, but moved to the Members page. "File Sync" is essentially what Glenn asked for 10 days ago, for Premium groups only.

Cool!

If possible, I'd prefer that we place a checkbox in the "File Sync" screen to determine whether the Active member notice of type "Removed Member" is sent to each subscriber removed via that process, and have this checkbox checked by default. This seems less harsh than removing those subscribers without any explanation.

Regards,
Bruce

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 03:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am eager for the same changes to be made for Rejected Subscription.
A concrete example in real-time, today: I need to reject a pending subscription sent by someone from a second email address. To do that, I need to go into Member Notices and make "duplicate application" the "active" rejection notice; go back into pending members and reject the subscription' and then go back into Member Notices and either edit that notice to remove the "active" designation, or make a different one the active one. This needs to be done, by hand, every time you reject a subscription. Since rejecting a subscription is under moderator control and not triggered automatically (like leaving a group or applying for membership are), I see no reason for an "active" designation requiring all of these contortions. Just let mods pick the notice at the time they do the action. I think this reasoning applies to all events under moderator control, rather than ones triggered by members requiring a notice to actually go out automatically. There's no need for an automatic, and therefore no need for an "active," notice in these cases.