Topics

moderated Add ability to remove or edit customized Invite text without sending invitations #missingfeature

I noticed today that after sending an invitation, any customized Invite text stays there until the next Invite. There is no way to edit or remove the text without sending another Invite. The only workaround currently is to edit the text, enter no email addresses, and hit Send Invitations (resulting in "0 invitations sent" etc..) It's a hack.

There should be a way to edit the customized text and hit Save, or something. Otherwise, a different moderator from the last one who send an invitation may not realize they're stuck with the old Invite text, and may fail to change it; or maybe it was a one-time invite text that you know you'll never want to use again, and you may want to get rid of it a priori, even before sending another invite, instead of letting it sit there; or you may have included someone's personal info in the Invite that you don't want sitting there; etc.).

Bruce Bowman

Yep. It's very annoying. See this previous thread on the subject https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/31364206

There is no way to edit or remove the text without sending another Invite. The only workaround currently is to edit the text, enter no email addresses, and hit Send Invitations (resulting in "0 invitations sent" etc..) It's a hack.
Go into Admin>Settings>Member Notices, open the active one of type Invite, and edit it back the way it was. That's what I do, but I sure wish I didn't have to.

There should be a way to edit the customized text and hit Save, or something. Otherwise, a different moderator from the last one who send an invitation may not realize they're stuck with the old Invite text, and may fail to change it; or maybe it was a one-time invite text that you know you'll never want to use again, and you may want to get rid of it a priori, even before sending another invite, instead of letting it sit there; or you may have included someone's personal info in the Invite that you don't want sitting there; etc.).
It's my preference that Member Notices be treated as message templates. An edit box to customize it prior to sending is all fine and dandy; but any such edit should not affect the template.

My $0.02,
Bruce

I'm not sure what you mean by template, but however this is fixed, I see the most egregious problem being almost a security or privacy issue. I have never issued an invitation without a personal message included, and it is a bad thing that the message just sits around afterwards. Anyone who issues an invitation may be (in fact, probably is) clueless that the text remains there afterwards. And worse, the next mod to issue an invitation may be clueless that the previous personal message sent with an invitation goes out again by default unless they change it. This is just a bad situation.

In other words, I see it as more than an annoyance.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by template, but however this is fixed, I see the most egregious problem being almost a security or privacy issue. I have never issued an invitation without a personal message included, and it is a bad thing that the message just sits around afterwards. Anyone who issues an invitation may be (in fact, probably is) clueless that the text remains there afterwards. And worse, the next mod to issue an invitation may be clueless that the previous personal message sent with an invitation goes out again by default unless they change it. This is just a bad situation.

And yes, I'm remembering that past thread now!

Victoria

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by template, but however this is fixed, I see the most egregious problem being almost a security or privacy issue. I have never issued an invitation without a personal message included, and it is a bad thing that the message just sits around afterwards. Anyone who issues an invitation may be (in fact, probably is) clueless that the text remains there afterwards. And worse, the next mod to issue an invitation may be clueless that the previous personal message sent with an invitation goes out again by default unless they change it. This is just a bad situation.

And for the many foreign groups it is even worse. Even if you write an invitation in their language, the surrounding text is in English, so you have a language mix which is confusing.

Victoria

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 04:10 AM, Victoria wrote:
And for the many foreign groups it is even worse.
That's a separate issue, with a different problem - comprehensibility, rather than privacy - and a different solution, where groups.io might, at some point in the future, allow the user to choose their language and then print all fixed text in that language. I would not mix the language issue up with the issue of leaving personal messages to invitees lying around indefinitely, with them perhaps being inadvertently sent to the next invitee.

Once I was picking up an Rx at the pharmacy and they accidentally included the last customer's detailed prescription sheet with all their personal info in it. That's more what this issue is akin to. Not the Rx boilerplate being in the wrong language.

Victoria

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 04:39 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 04:10 AM, Victoria wrote:
And for the many foreign groups it is even worse.
That's a separate issue, with a different problem - comprehensibility, rather than privacy - and a different solution, where groups.io might, at some point in the future, allow the user to choose their language and then print all fixed text in that language. I would not mix the language issue up with the issue of leaving personal messages to invitees lying around indefinitely, with them perhaps being inadvertently sent to the next invitee.

Once I was picking up an Rx at the pharmacy and they accidentally included the last customer's detailed prescription sheet with all their personal info in it. That's more what this issue is akin to. Not the Rx boilerplate being in the wrong language.

Well, obviously I had a different issue in mind which doesn´t have to do with privacy. I´m talking about the invite-possibility within the settings. I write different invitations each time and remove them afterwards. They are in German and the text around them is default and in English, so I do favour the idea that there is no other default text (which I find completely unnecessary) except for the one composed individually in the invitation. But I don´t know if we are talking about the same thing.
Victoria

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 01:42 PM, Victoria wrote:
I write different invitations each time and remove them afterwards.
How do you "remove them"? The feature I'm asking for here is the ability to easily remove them. Right now it's very difficult to remove the old invite text until you create and send a new invite. The old text just stays there.

I don't doubt that the language issue is a serious one, and that it is related to this one in the sense that it involves invitations, but other than that it seems to me to be a separate issue.

Michael Pavan

One of many "annoyances" (missing features or controls) that would be better instituted, than relying on "better Moderator training"...

On Jul 7, 2019, at 7:18 PM, J_Catlady <@J_Catlady> wrote:
And worse, the next mod to issue an invitation may be clueless that the previous personal message sent with an invitation goes out again by defaulOnet unless they change it. This is just a bad situation.

Victoria

How do you "remove them"? The feature I'm asking for here is the ability to easily remove them. Right now it's very difficult to remove the old invite text until you create and send a new invite. The old text just stays there.
Well, if we are talking about the same feature: I go to "settings" then "member notices" and there I have the window with the latest invite text. I just delete it and update.

I don't doubt that the language issue is a serious one, and that it is related to this one in the sense that it involves invitations, but other than that it seems to me to be a separate issue.

      The option to create a completely free invitation without any default text in it would help enormously to avoid the language confusion for potential new
      members. At least that option was what I thought was asked for in this topic.
      It makes a big difference for a German or Italian or Polish national to receive an invitation message that is completely in English or if they get a message
      with a language mix in it.

Victoria

No, the option to remove or edit the invite text after the current invitation is sent (within the invite screen and without going through member notices) is what’s being asked for. Nothing about creating invitations or about default text.