Topics

moderated Member List Synchronization Automation #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

Here the situation for several of the groups I run: in order to be able to join the group, the person must be a member of a particular organization (which one varies by group, of course) and they are only in the group as long as they are a member of the organization. Periodically, due to elections and such, the membership changes fairly dramatically.

I know I can download the group membership as a spreadsheet, do some sorting and comparisons, and then add the new ones and drop the old ones.

What I would like to request is that this be automated because this sorting and such can get very tedious for large groups. Instead, what I would like to see is the ability for the group owner or moderator to upload a CSV (heck, I'd do JSON or even XML) using a special group function and then  the code automatically goes through the membership list dropping those not in the CSV and adding those that are in the CSV and not in the group already.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 07:56 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
the code automatically goes through the membership list dropping those not in the CSV and adding those that are in the CSV and not in the group already.
This seems unlikely to be implemented. But if it were, you would at minimum have to have a premium group, because this is essentially direct-adding members.

Glenn Glazer

On 7/4/2019 07:09, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 07:56 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
the code automatically goes through the membership list dropping those not in the CSV and adding those that are in the CSV and not in the group already.
This seems unlikely to be implemented. But if it were, you would at minimum have to have a premium group, because this is essentially direct-adding members.

I would leave likelihood to Mark, no?

But yes, it would absolutely be a premium feature. I think that is a good thing in that when one has a software service at multiple levels, the more things that distinguish the higher levels (like premium) over the lower levels (like basic) makes the higher levels easier to sell.

Best,

Glenn

--

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 07:21 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I would leave likelihood to Mark, no?
I'm not arguing for or against the feature (which Mark has tried to limit here), but simply making a bet that he won't do it. Of course it's his decision! Implementation is always Mark's decision. That's much more than "likelihood" lol.

Glenn Glazer

On 7/4/2019 07:31, J_Catlady wrote:
On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 07:21 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I would leave likelihood to Mark, no?
I'm not arguing for or against the feature (which Mark has tried to limit here), but simply making a bet that he won't do it. Of course it's his decision! Implementation is always Mark's decision. That's much more than "likelihood" lol.

I guess I just don't find betting helpful in context since it shades toward arguing (against, in your case) and seems to carry a note of discouragement to those proposing new features.

Best,

Glenn

--

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 07:52 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I guess I just don't find betting helpful
A conversation about whether or not betting is helpful is equally useless.

it shades toward arguing (against, in your case)
Not at all. I have zero opinion on this and no stake whatsoever in it. I wanted to mention that it would have to be a premium feature because it's direct-add. And to preclude any thought that I have an opinion on it after offering that tidbit, I mentioned specifically that I don't.

That's it. And I'm now officially done with this. :)

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
What I would like to request is that this be automated because this sorting and such can get very tedious for large groups. Instead, what I would like to see is the ability for the group owner or moderator to upload a CSV (heck, I'd do JSON or even XML) using a special group function and then  the code automatically goes through the membership list dropping those not in the CSV and adding those that are in the CSV and not in the group already.
It's kinda like the existing Slack integration, but in reverse, using the CSV file as the go-between. I would like to have such a feature, as I have similar circumstances.

Having said that, upon first read I reached the same conclusion that J did...that it provides a work-around to Direct Add, and would thus have to be Premium/Enterprise-only.

Regards,
Bruce

Glenn Glazer

On 7/4/2019 13:07, Bruce Bowman wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Yes, the notion of it being a premium is a good one. I personally think it would be a big time saver for a reasonable segment of group owners.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.