Topics

moderated photo URLs

Annick Phillips

It used to be when I looked at a photo in a member's album I could copy and paste the URL at the top of the page, email that URL to another member on my group, and they could click on it and it would take them to the same photo. Lately though, that URL takes them to a different photo in that particular album. Is this something that happened once Mark changed the default order of the albums? Is the photo I'm trying to point to attached to its original URL instead of the one I'm seeing? And is there any way to get back to being able to point someone to an individual photo? My groups rely a lot on our photos and it's always been a great convenience to be able to give the other members a quick link to the photo we're discussing.
Annick

Annick,

My groups rely a lot on our photos and it's always been a great
convenience to be able to give the other members a quick link to the
photo we're discussing.
I agree. I'd love to see that handy link icon (a "permalink") available on photos (files, etc.) as they are currently on Messages and Wiki pages.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4837817

Shal

My groups rely a lot on our photos and it's always been a great
convenience to be able to give the other members a quick link to
the photo we're discussing.
I agree. I'd love to see that handy link icon (a "permalink") available
on photos (files, etc.) as they are currently on Messages and Wiki
pages.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4837817

Shal
I agree with this. It's something that I'm sure a lot of folks would use. I wonder if it would need to be done at the same time as dealing with the ability to move folders and files between the Group Files and Group Photos areas. When we transferred my Premium groups over there were a lot of images in the Files area because at one time it was the only way to get Y! to save a full size image. Now we're forced to deal with that legacy.

I'd also still like for the owner to be able to assign ownership of files and photos to other members. We have a number of members who rejoined the group under a different email address instead of understanding how to change their address. When they then delete their old membership it leaves me, the owner, with ownership of their files. I'd rather be able to transfer that ownership back to the original poster.

Dano

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Annick,

I agree that the current situation is not good and is in definite need of major improvement.

Using the Chrome browser, after I select an image, I can right click the Download button and select "Copy link address". This gives me a link that does later work to get to the same picture as the one I had originally selected. Presumably, other browsers would have similar capability to copy the Download button link

 --
Gerald

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 03:13 PM, Annick Phillips wrote:
It used to be when I looked at a photo in a member's album I could copy and paste the URL at the top of the page, email that URL to another member on my group, and they could click on it and it would take them to the same photo. Lately though, that URL takes them to a different photo in that particular album. Is this something that happened once Mark changed the default order of the albums? Is the photo I'm trying to point to attached to its original URL instead of the one I'm seeing? And is there any way to get back to being able to point someone to an individual photo? My groups rely a lot on our photos and it's always been a great convenience to be able to give the other members a quick link to the photo we're discussing.
Annick

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 10:48 PM, D R Stinson wrote:
I'd also still like for the owner to be able to assign ownership of files and photos to other members.
Photo ownership can be reassigned, Files currently cannot as far as I can see.

Go to the photo in question and click on Edit. One of the headings is Owner, with a drop - down arrow at the right hand side. Once clicked a complete list of members will appear, shown by Display Name; regrettably they are not in alphabetical order.  Using your keyboard enter the initial letter of the Display Name to which you wish to assign ownership, and repeat entering that letter until the wanted Display Name appears; select it, and you are done.

It is, however, unremittingly tedious particularly if you have a lot of members.

Chris

Annick Phillips

Thanks for that suggestion, Gerald. I tried it with Windows 10 Edge and it works, although it brings me to the isolated photo as if I had downloaded it. It will give people quick access to the photo, but I fear they will be frustrated that they will have to do additional steps if they want to see the other photos in that person's album too. Hopefully Mark can do something to give the photos a fixed address, especially one that we can just copy and paste into an email if we are sending a message from our email rather than from the group website.
Annick

I just tested this and I don't see any problem with the URL to a photo. It still works for me. ?????

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just tested this and I don't see any problem with the URL to a photo. It still works for me. ?????
Copy the URL for a photo to the clipboard, then change the sort order of the album.  The URL will take you to a different photo based on the new sort order.

Duane

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 08:51 AM, Duane wrote:
Copy the URL for a photo to the clipboard, then change the sort order of the album.  The URL will take you to a different photo based on the new sort order.
Did that, got same (correct) photo. I can't reproduce this. ?????

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I can't reproduce this. ?
Looks like Mark may have changed something already.  The URL now has some extra stuff at the end, starting with ?p= then Created/Name/Taken then more stuff and that seems to find the correct one!

Duane

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 09:00 AM, Duane wrote:
Looks like Mark may have changed something already.
Damn, he's too fast for us, even when he's on vacation! :-)

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM, Duane wrote:
The URL now has some extra stuff at the end, starting with ?p= then Created/Name/Taken then more stuff and that seems to find the correct one!
The query string seems to reflect sort order, number of items to display per page (from your account settings), and what number the photo would appear if that sort were applied. Such an approach may work for awhile, but if you add or remove photos from the album, all bets are off.

I'd prefer a static URL that is immune to adding/moving/removing photos, but am currently at a loss to propose an effective implementation.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

I'd prefer a static URL that is immune to adding/moving/removing photos, but am currently at a loss to propose an effective implementation.

Agreed (see my earlier post in this topic).

Also, a related topic in GMF, Moving pictures, caused me to realize that the Permalink to a photo ought to be independent of album. That way the permalink won't change even if someone moves the photo to another album.

Moreover, Emailed Photos could have their Permalink established at the time the message is posted, and this would facilitate a future ability to move photos out of the Emailed Photos album. Right now images in the Emailed Photos album appear to have two URLs, the one seen in Emailed Photos is in /photos and one seen in the Message itself is in /attachment.

I think establishing photo Permalinks which are independent of the album in which the photo appears would make access to them much simpler.

Shal

Could Files also have permalinks? Might that allow images original placed in the Files area to be moved to Photos?

Dano