Topics

moderated make MF default group setting along with moderated and unmoderated #suggestion

I like the MF setting ("moderate first message of every topic this person starts") so much that I've been setting all members to it by hand after they pass through NuM. I've been wishing that it could be made a group option, so that they would go into that status automatically.

Currently, the group settings checkboxes for posting status are Moderated and New User Moderated (or none, if neither is checked, and the posting status options for each individual member are

Use Group Moderation Setting

Override: not moderated

Override: moderated

Override: new user moderated

Override: not allowed to post

Override: moderate the first message of every topic this person starts

Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts

You would have to figure out how the group options would work with the individual members statuses. Currently, groups have the option to check one box out of two boxes Moderated and New User Moderated (or none, making it an unmoderated group).

With the new option, the group settings boxes could be MF and Moderated. If neither is checked, the group is unmoderated. If Moderated is checked, the group is moderated. Below MF would be a checkbox for NuM. If both MF and NuM are checked, members enter into MF after they pass through NuM.  The "Group Moderation Setting" referred to in an individual member's status would then be MF.

I haven't worked out all the details but that would be the basic idea. Of course, if nobody or very few people are using MF the way I am using it, this is probably not worth doing. But I'm finding it to be incredibly useful (thanks, Helen!)

On second thought the plan I outlined wouldn't work, because there would be no way to have just NuM without MF.  This would have to be thought through better. I'm mulling it over but I'm sure there's a way to do it. You would have three boxes - Moderated, NuM, and MF - and the possible combinations allowed would be Moderated, NuM, MF, and NuM plus MF. It's just a matter of figuring out the UI.

Ok, I think this would do it (sorry for thinking out loud):

Moderated
New User Moderated
Moderate First Message of Every Topic (and below that, New User Moderated)