moderated Thread merge issue

I have some members who create a new topic for every thought that enters their heads. They are kept on permanent moderation, and thanks to the lovely Moderate First Message option Mark created at my request, I can intercept them and place their posts in their existing threads.

Previously, as long as I changed the subject line to match their previously running subject line (which in most cases is only a day or hours old), the new post would merge. Now, it starts a new thread even if I change the subject line to match. Not sure if this is deliberate or a glitch, but I'd like it to go back to how it was if possible please.

Thank you.

Helen

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 01:06 AM, Helen wrote:
thanks to the lovely Moderate First Message option Mark created at my request, I can intercept them and place their posts in their existing threads.
That reminds me: I've been meaning to request that Helen's awesome MF feature be made an additional possible group setting. I'm going to suggest this in a separate thread.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 04:06 AM, Helen wrote:
Previously, as long as I changed the subject line to match their previously running subject line (which in most cases is only a day or hours old), the new post would merge. Now, it starts a new thread even if I change the subject line to match. Not sure if this is deliberate or a glitch, but I'd like it to go back to how it was if possible please.
Helen -- I suspect the auto-merge by subject line is working for emailed messages but is not working for messages someone posts online. The threading algorithm works differently online vs email (Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/12491). Please be advised that this "problem" was addressed once before, but the outcome didn't work very well; to the point that the change had to be reverted (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/28941927#19464).

Regards,
Bruce

Thank you for the clarification, Bruce. It has only become a problem for me very recently, not as long ago as January.

I have countless members who think that their every thought merits a new thread with a new subject line. Previously I would use my lovely Moderate First Message option, change the subject line to match their existing thread, and lo and behold, their post reached the group and the correct thread and everybody was happy. Now, if I change the subject line to match an existing thread, a new thread is created and I have to go and merge them. Alternatively I have to reject them.

I wonder if it might be possible for threads generated in such circumstances (i.e. first message moderated/subject line altered by mod) to thread automatically into the existing thread, but perhaps that's not feasible.

Thank you.

Helen