Topics

moderated fix toggling of alpha column-order vs which column ordered by #suggestion

When viewing the members list, the default display order is date joined. Say you want to order by email address. You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order. This is a mild PITA (and also vaguely disconcerting - it's not what you expect).

I want the system to distinguish between my intention to (a) switch the column the display is ordered by, on the one hand, vs. (b) toggle the display between alpha and reverse alpha, on the other.

It seems easy to do: if the display is currently ordered by X, and the user clicks on Y, just change the column the display is ordered by, and assume alpha order is desired. If, OTOH, the display is currently ordered by X and the user clicks on X again, then toggle between alpha and reverse alpha.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order.
The same appears to be true for the Display Name column too.

Andy

Yes, for all columns. It was a general request with a specific example.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:42 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
When viewing the members list, the default display order is date joined. Say you want to order by email address. You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order. This is a mild PITA (and also vaguely disconcerting - it's not what you expect).

This particular mild PITA has now been fixed. :-)

Yay! Thanks, Mark. 😊

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 06:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This particular mild PITA has now been fixed. :-)
If I click in the email address header, it's still sorted in reverse alpha to start with.

Andy

Same with display name. Does not seem fixed. :-(

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:50 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Same with display name. Does not seem fixed. :-(

So I guess I don't understand. I go to the Members page. It defaults to sorted by Joined, most recent first. I then click on any other column header. And it retains the existing sort direction. I click the column again to switch sort direction. Then I click another column. It keeps the existing sort direction. Is that not what you asked for?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 01:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I then click on any other column header. And it retains the existing sort direction.
Mark,

If by "existing sort direction" you mean the sort direction of "Joined," then that's probably the problem, because that's reverse chrono order, not chrono. I think that by default, we want the sort to be by reverse chrono order for Joined, but by alpha (not reverse alpha) order for Display Name and Email.

The bottom line is that currently, if you actually do this (not just look at the code), you'll see that when you actually click on "any other column," the sort comes up reverse. Not what we want.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 01:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not what we want.
As in "royal we" :-)

Mark,

I go to the Members page. It defaults to sorted by Joined, most recent
first. I then click on any other column header. And it retains the
existing sort direction. ... Is that not what you asked for?
No. At least, it is not what I would want.

That is,

1) starting with Joined/Applied most recent first,
2) I click Email and change it to alphabetical,
3) I click back to Joined/Applied.

As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first. (Ok, not mysterious: you copied the direction from the email column.) I think it is a violation of least astonishment - in what way is a member's Joined/Applied date connected to his/her email address? Why would changing the order of one change the order of the other?

What I want is for each column to retain its own direction, independent of changing the direction of any other other column.

Shal

Andy Wedge

Hi Shal,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:10 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first.
I don't see this. If I go to a member list, the default order is the most recent join/applied entries at the top of the list.
What I want is for each column to retain its own direction, independent of changing the direction of any other other column.
Agreed.  If I click the Display Name, Email or Delivery column headings, the list is sorted in reverse alpha (Z-A). All we have asked for is that to be the other way around (A-Z) to start with and if the column heading is clicked for a second time, it goes Z-A.

Regards,
Andy

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:50 AM, Andy W wrote:
Hi Shal,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:10 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first.
I don't see this. If I go to a member list, the default order is the most recent join/applied entries at the top of the list.
What I want is for each column to retain its own direction, independent of changing the direction of any other other column.
Agreed.  If I click the Display Name, Email or Delivery column headings, the list is sorted in reverse alpha (Z-A). All we have asked for is that to be the other way around (A-Z) to start with and if the column heading is clicked for a second time, it goes Z-A.

Regards,
Andy
I agree with what Shal said about each column remembering its own direction. That resolves the issue of the "to start with" quandary. It will be whatever you left it at last. What it starts out at is immaterial.

To summarize further, one click to change to sort of a different column. Further clicks on the active column will toggle the sort direction for that column, and hence the table as well.

Life gets more complicated depending on how many sub-levels one wants to incorporate for breaking ties in the primary column. Ideally, it might be all columns with the last used column being the secondary key and next last used column, the next key and so on. In reality, probably one sub-column sub-level should be enough.

--
Gerald

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 06:17 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
To summarize further, one click to change to sort of a different column. Further clicks on the active column will toggle the sort direction for that column, and hence the table as well.
Exactly. And with the change of column, you would use *that column's* default sort order - i.e.: reverse only for the date ("Joined") column, but chrono (not reverse chrono) for the alpha columns.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 01:50 AM, Andy W wrote:
As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first.
I don't see this. If I go to a member list, the default order is the most recent join/applied entries at the top of the list.
Correct. The date column is ordered by reverse chrono.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 07:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
chrono (not reverse chrono) for the alpha columns.
typo: I meant "alpha (not reverse alpha) for the alpha columns"

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 07:18 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Correct. The date column is ordered by reverse chrono.
Well, unless Shal is seeing something relating to Mark's latest fix that we haven't yet seen.

Andy,

I don't see this. If I go to a member list, the default order is the most recent join/applied entries at the top of the list.

You would only see it if you had taken the three steps I outlined.

I'm not talking about any default condition, I'm talking about what happens to the order of other columns (when you click there) after you change the order of a given column. I want the answer to be "the other columns retain whatever order you last saw them in". As of last night's test the astonishing (to me) answer was "the other columns copy the ordering of the column you changed".
Shal

Gerald,

Life gets more complicated depending on how many sub-levels one wants to incorporate for breaking ties in the primary column.

Preserving the prior order within ties on the current sort field is sometimes a very handy feature. Not that ties are very likely in the Members list -- impossible by construction in the Email column, unlikely too in the Joined/Applied column unless you Direct Add a bunch of members and the system applies the same exact time to all.

Shal

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 08:10 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As of last night's test the astonishing (to me) answer was "the other columns copy the ordering of the column you changed".
Wow, that would be astonishing, alright. I don't even understand how this is conceivable. The table is ordered by one column at a time. I must be misunderstanding you.