Topics

moderated Rethinking the #cal- hashtags

Hi All,

I'm pondering a couple things about the calendar hashtags and would like your input.

First, here is a list of the hashtags used by the calendar, and what messages they correspond to:

#cal-invite - when an event is created or updated, the message contains an .ics attachment
#cal-notice - when an event happens
#cal-reminder - reminder of an upcoming event
#cal-summary - weekly/monthly summary of upcoming events

It's weird when I set up a #downtime notice using the calendar, like I just did, and it sends out a message tagged #cal-invite. I'm not inviting you to the downtime (Hey, downtime slumber party!). It feels like something like #cal-event would be better in that situation. Would it be better in every situation? Should I rename #cal-invite to #cal-event, or maybe something else?

Also, in the various hashtag displays, like the new Hashtags dropdown filter on Messages, it feels weird to show all these #cal hashtags. It feels redundant and confusing. What if there was a way to 'collapse' these related hashtags in those displays? Like create collections of hashtags; select the collection and all messages from all those hashtags would be displayed? This would not affect muting/following hashtags in any way.

If we go with collections, I was thinking how to make it as easy as possible. My first thought was to use the dash that these hashtags have. All hashtags that begin with the same prefix before a dash would be considered part of the same collection (in this case, the #cal collection). But then I looked and we have ~3900 non-cal-based hashtags in the system that have dashes. So I don't think a dash would be a good delimiter. We could go with a character not currently used for hashtags, like a slash ( / ). So, the cal hashtags would be #cal/event, #cal/notice, #cal/reminder, #cal/summary. You could end up with entire hierarchies of hashtags, although to what end I do not know. How do you like the 'look' of hashtags with slashes in them?

Finally, if we go with collections, do we stick with #cal as the prefix?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hi Mark,

In regards to renaming #CalInvite: I’m in favor of renaming it to #CalEvent.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Dave Sergeant

On 13 Jun 2019 at 21:47, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I'm pondering a couple things about the calendar hashtags and would like
your input.
Like some in the other thread, our groups just don't use hashtags and I
wouldn't miss them whatever they said. Just extra clutter in email
subject lines. But one member did find them useful in that he could
block all calendar reminders, so I guess they have some sort of use.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com

Mark,

It feels like something like #cal-event would be better in that
situation.
As painful as the change would be, I think this may make more sense:

#cal-notice - when an event is created or updated, ...
#cal-event - when an event happens
The semantics being that the "notice" is more appropriate to the event's creation and "event" more appropriate to the occurrence of the event itself. That gives the time sequence -notice, -reminder(s), -event.

But then I looked and we have ~3900 non-cal-based hashtags in the
system that have dashes.
Non-cal isn't really the question. If you separate them by group and then sort alphabetically, does hierarchical usage appear? I'm going to guess "no", but I've only a small sample of groups to look at.

So I don't think a dash would be a good delimiter. We could go with a
character not currently used for hashtags, like a slash ( / ). ... How
do you like the 'look' of hashtags with slashes in them?
It will take me a bit to get used to that, but I agree that it is probably better not to use hyphen. In plain English hyphen is a joiner, but not necessarily a hierarchy.

Slash connotes an alternative ("yes/no") more than a hierarchy, but its use for a hierarchy will likely seem natural to computer users.

Shal

Steph Mathews

Good morning.
In my honest opinion you should get rid of the calendar hashtags altogether.
If I need to do a whole new message but just let me know.

I've also noticed that on my events in the calendar in my groups except for 1, it says upcoming event before it even the ones that post as the event happens.  Steph

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I agree. If I'm going to be gone and want to let my list members know, or if my website is going to be down I'm also not inviting them to my vacation or my down website. Lol!

The slashes, I have to think about as although it kind of makes sense from a hierarchical point of view it would be something I would have to get used to.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 13 Jun 2019, at 21:50, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Maria

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 12:47 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

It's weird when I set up a #downtime notice using the calendar, like I just did, and it sends out a message tagged #cal-invite. I'm not inviting you to the downtime (Hey, downtime slumber party!). It feels like something like #cal-event would be better in that situation. Would it be better in every situation? Should I rename #cal-invite to #cal-event, or maybe something else?

Can it just be #event? Why does it even need to have cal in it?

#event
#eventreminder
#Upcomingevents ( for the summary)
#eventnotice

I think the #cal part feels too much like an admin thing and less user friendly.

Like you said Mark, some events in the calendar are not things members are invited to . They are just notes on the calendar or just stuff that's happening.

Another idea is to give group admins the ability to define categories of events for group calendars so when we set-up events we can define what kind of event it is and that dictates the kind of hashtag it generates. For example:

PTAMeetings
Assemblies
SLTMeeting
Orientation
Protests
Marches
Trainingsessions

when admins / members set up events they'd select what kind from a hashtag dropdown and that would then attach itself as it does to posts - to the event and it would make the hashtag filter even more useful because you could go straight to certain kinds of events you are looking for.

Maria