From: Duane
Date: 06/13/19 17:12:40
Subject: [beta] Group home page redesign

I suspect there will be an announcement soon, but the Home page for all groups is now a shambles.  It has incorporated many of the unwanted (and unneeded in many cases) elements of the Feed page.  The group description is truncated at 2 lines, links in the description don't work (if they can even be seen), and all of the important information has been moved down the page even further than it was.  I hope this is a temporary glitch and things will be returned to normal soon.

Duane

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:12 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I suspect there will be an announcement soon, but the Home page for all groups is now a shambles.  It has incorporated many of the unwanted (and unneeded in many cases) elements of the Feed page.  The group description is truncated at 2 lines, links in the description don't work (if they can even be seen), and all of the important information has been moved down the page even further than it was.  I hope this is a temporary glitch and things will be returned to normal soon.

Whoops, rolled out too soon. I've reverted it for all groups, except beta, so people can see what everyone's talking about. The truncated description was a bug and will be fixed (the idea is to have a link to expand it).

The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.

Barbara Byers

Thank you, Mark, I appreciate the quick explanation.

Barb

On Jun 13, 2019, at 6:27 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:12 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I suspect there will be an announcement soon, but the Home page for all groups is now a shambles.  It has incorporated many of the unwanted (and unneeded in many cases) elements of the Feed page.  The group description is truncated at 2 lines, links in the description don't work (if they can even be seen), and all of the important information has been moved down the page even further than it was.  I hope this is a temporary glitch and things will be returned to normal soon.

Whoops, rolled out too soon. I've reverted it for all groups, except beta, so people can see what everyone's talking about. The truncated description was a bug and will be fixed (the idea is to have a link to expand it).

The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.

Is any of this open to discussion? How much will this change, or is the look of the beta home page the current plan?

Re the "top hashtags" section, our group rarely uses hashtags, yet there will still be "top hashtags" by the way that's computed or determined (I'm assuming) and for our group, the new version of this takes up a spectacularly out of proportion amount of space on the home page, space which would be much more important to allocate (at least in our group) to the group description.

I'm also not crazy about the group description being a link to click on. They've already clicked on the group home page. Many people won't read past all the crucial info - for example, re membership restriction, needing to return a questionnaire, etc. If this is the amount of space to be allocated for the description prior to clicking on the link, I will have to change my group description to begin with "Please click this link for group description, including membership requirements." And that's no info at all for people browsing through groups.io groups. There has to be a better way.

As a minor issue, the spacing in the Active Topics section looks askew. Clearly there's a line space being added when the topic has a hashtag, but why? This seems unnecessary and looks messy.

Before this is rolled out, can there be a version people can see of their own groups, so it can be discussed?

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.
At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Duane

Sarah k Alawami

I do have to agree. My groups don't really use hash tags and even if we did I don't want that stuff seen on the home page unless someone wants to see it.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 13 Jun 2019, at 16:28, Duane wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.
At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Duane

Ellen Moody

I'd like to agree. I hope this is the place to put this. The home page of my three groups has gone back to what it was - two pictures and the group description on. That group description is important as wella s the schedules of reading; they are back too.

Ellen Moody

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:40 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

I do have to agree. My groups don't really use hash tags and even if we did I don't want that stuff seen on the home page unless someone wants to see it.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 13 Jun 2019, at 16:28, Duane wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.
At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Duane

I agree with Diane. Need to be able to turn off this view and pick which view we want. Minimally, if we can’t turn this off, shrink (and ideally, optionally remove) hashtags section. Absolutely essential: full group description without clicking on a link.

On Jun 13, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The goal is bring more information to the group home page and make it more dynamic.
At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Hi J,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Re the "top hashtags" section, our group rarely uses hashtags, yet there will still be "top hashtags" by the way that's computed or determined (I'm assuming) and for our group, the new version of this takes up a spectacularly out of proportion amount of space on the home page, space which would be much more important to allocate (at least in our group) to the group description.

I will make it so that the group description is displayed in full, no click through needed. That completely makes sense.

If you want to get rid of the hashtag section, and don't use hashtags much, you can always go in and delete your existing hashtags. That'll make that section disappear. Hashtags are an important and valuable part of many groups; I think displaying them nicely is a good idea. And it gives prospective members an idea of the various topics discussed in your group. Also, if you delete all your hashtags, then the new Hashtags dropdown in the Messages pages will disappear as well.

As a minor issue, the spacing in the Active Topics section looks askew. Clearly there's a line space being added when the topic has a hashtag, but why? This seems unnecessary and looks messy.

I pushed the hashtags, if any, to the right edge. I never liked the previous look of the tags at the end of the topic when the topic spanned two lines (especially on mobile). Suggestions for improvement are definitely welcome.

Sarah k Alawami

On 13 Jun 2019, at 17:28, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I will make it so that the group description is displayed in full, no click through needed. That completely makes sense.

Thanks so much. That will be wonderful.

Hi Duane,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Out of curiosity, do you regularly look at your group home page? And if so, why? I think of the group home pages as advertisements to prospective members. Making them look nice and displaying useful information helps give prospective members a better idea about what a group's about. As a group owner, I never look at my group home pages at all.

Leeni

First if a group is set to only have members see the messages-archives, all of the additional information that is going to be featured in the "new" look will not be seen by any prospective members. It will only be seen by members already in the group and they already know what messages were sent because they read it in their email. My groups are basically email groups.

Prospective members will just see a shrunken home page which they have to click on to see the rest of what the group is about.

Now I don't look at MY homepage very often except to get links for posting to send out to members, but I do look at other group's homepages quite often when I am thinking of joining another group.

Now I refer my members back to my group's home page frequently when they are sharing something that shouldn't be shared or ask what should be shared. I give them the link to the homepage and ask them to check it out. So the homepage the way it is now works nicely for my groups and the circle of groups I associate with.

Leeni

At the very least, I'd like to see all of the 'new' items moved to the bottom (below Group Email Addresses) and the description restored to full view.  Optimally for me, and others based on their comments on GMF, I'd be able to turn all of this off for my groups.  All of the information I see, except for Top Hashtags (which I'd rather not have anyway), is on the Feed page and I'd rather not have it cluttering the Home page.

Out of curiosity, do you regularly look at your group home page? And if so, why? I think of the group home pages as advertisements to prospective members. Making them look nice and displaying useful information helps give prospective members a better idea about what a group's about. As a group owner, I never look at my group home pages at all.

Mark,

The truncated description was a bug and will be fixed (the idea is to have a link to expand it).

I had written a whole message about that, now superseded by your reply to J that the Description text will not be collapsed. Yay!

My thinking: the group's home page description is a group's one-and-only shot at conveying information about the group to a non-member before that person decides to click the Join (or Apply) button. Anything that gets in the way of that presentation has me skeptical at best.

Shal

Leeni

That is great! It will be wonderful.
Thanks  - Leeni

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 07:32 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you regularly look at your group home page? And if so, why?
Depends on the definition of 'regularly'. ;>)  I do check the home page of all my groups, both as a member and a non-member, from time to time.  I've tweaked them a bit over the 4+ years the groups have been here.  Mostly it's to make sure that non-members understand the reason for the group and that it fits their needs.  Based on what I saw during the oopsy, only members would see the Active Topics anyway since we have Private Archives.

As far as hashtags, my groups have a few, but they're very important to assist with finding specific information, so deleting them isn't an option.  We could use the search function, but hashtags are faster for these situations.  Since we'll never have many, endlessly repeating them on the Home page seems to be a waste of space and likely wouldn't be understood by many non-members if they could see them.  They're used sparingly for the most crucial information, so the Top Ten seldom change.  I've never seen any reason to have them on the Home page, but have no (useful) way to get rid of them.

Mark,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:29 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will make it so that the group description is displayed in full, no click through needed.
Great, thanks!

Hashtags are an important and valuable part of many groups; I think displaying them nicely is a good idea.
Of course. And I would not want to get rid of all my group's hashtags. My issue is (was) with the space proportions. Hashtags are a minor feature in my group, yet they were allocated much more space than the group description. Now that that's fixed, I don't mind the hashtag display.

I pushed the hashtags, if any, to the right edge. I never liked the previous look of the tags at the end of the topic when the topic spanned two lines (especially on mobile). Suggestions for improvement are definitely welcome.
Maybe you could leave hashtags out of the Active Topics list. But I doubt that will fly. :)

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:50 PM, Leeni wrote:
if a group is set to only have members see the messages-archives, all of the additional information that is going to be featured in the "new" look will not be seen by any prospective members.
I certainly hope that's the case! I hadn't thought of that aspect.

Leeni

It was like that when I checked before the full homepages were restored.
I didn't want non members to be able to see the Activity so that was one of the first things I checked.  I hope it will stay like that.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:50 PM, Leeni wrote:
if a group is set to only have members see the messages-archives, all of the additional information that is going to be featured in the "new" look will not be seen by any prospective members.
I certainly hope that's the case! I hadn't thought of that aspect.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I agree with Diane.
oops, belatedly realized that should have been "Duane"