Topics

moderated Add "second request," "third request," etc. to email subject when resending pending notice #suggestion

I just got a message from a veterinary pharmacy with title beginning "second request," telling me that they were still awaiting my vet's approval on a prescription. It occurred to me that this might be a good idea for resending of the pending subscription notices.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Leeni

I like that because many times the first one is overlooked and if it said 2nd request they may open it and read it. Leeni 

-------Original Message-------

Date: 6/10/2019 9:54:52 AM
Subject: [beta] Add "second request," "third request," etc. to email subject when resending pending notice #suggestion

I just got a message from a veterinary pharmacy with title beginning "second request," telling me that they were still awaiting my vet's approval on a prescription. It occurred to me that this might be a good idea for resending of the pending subscription notices.
--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Right. It also could be called “second attemot” instead of “request.” Not sure which is better. But either one gets more attention than a simple resend.

On Jun 10, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Leeni <leeniluvsgroups@...> wrote:

I like that because many times the first one is overlooked and if it said 2nd request they may open it and read it. Leeni 

Subject: [beta] Add "second request," "third request," etc. to email subject when resending pending notice #suggestion

--
J

--
J

Bob Bellizzi

I dislike the idea. They are the ones who wish to join a group and they already took action to indicate that.

If they disregard messages after expressing a desire to join, it's a reflection on their attitude indicating you're group really isn't that important to them.
--

Bob Bellizzi

I like a kinder, more tolerant approach. People miss emails sometimes. Some of the people who turned out to be really good group members had to be resent the notice.

On Jun 10, 2019, at 9:50 AM, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

I dislike the idea. They are the ones who wish to join a group and they already took action to indicate that.

If they disregard messages after expressing a desire to join, it's a reflection on their attitude indicating you're group really isn't that important to them.
--

Bob Bellizzi

--
J

Besides, it’s just a simple change in wording. The groups that have a habit of resending the notice are going to do it anyway.  Not implementing the change in wording won’t change that. You’re still free to insist that your members respond to the first notice.

On Jun 10, 2019, at 9:52 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I like a kinder, more tolerant approach. People miss emails sometimes. Some of the people who turned out to be really good group members had to be resent the notice.

On Jun 10, 2019, at 9:50 AM, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

--

Bob Bellizzi

--
J

--
J

Glenn Glazer

On 6/10/2019 09:50, Bob Bellizzi wrote:

--

Bob Bellizzi

This is not always the case. One of the groups I run is for an organization that requires all of its members to be on the list, though that's usually not on people's minds when they try and get elected. This sort of thing helps cut down on the butterfly herding that I have to do.

Best,

Glenn

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Leeni

Many members who join my groups will not know what the word attemot means so maybe the word attempt should be used instead.

Date: 6/10/2019 11:50:47 AM
Subject: Re: [beta] Add "second request," "third request," etc. to email subject when resending pending notice #suggestion

Right. It also could be called “second attemot” instead of “request.” Not sure which is better. But either one gets more attention than a simple resend.

--
J

--
J

Well obviously that was a typo. Lol

On Jun 10, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Leeni <leeniluvsgroups@...> wrote:

Many members who join my groups will not know what the word attemot means so maybe the word attempt should be used instead.

Subject: Re: [beta] Add "second request," "third request," etc. to email subject when resending pending notice #suggestion

--
J

--
J

--
J

Leeni

That could be true too!
If they can't open up a pending message request and if they do and don't send it back they probably won't be a good member anyway as they won't follow simple rules.
So who needs them! 

Date: 6/10/2019 11:50:50 AM

--

Bob Bellizzi

Leeni

Then I saw the next message which I also agree with.
Sometimes a reminder is needed because with all the mail some of the perspective members get the first send could be lost or mixed in with their other mail.

Date: 6/10/2019 12:16:39 PM

That could be true too!
If they can't open up a pending message request and if they do and don't send it back they probably won't be a good member anyway as they won't follow simple rules.
So who needs them! 

Date: 6/10/2019 11:50:50 AM

--

Bob Bellizzi

Leeni

What is funny was when looked up the word attemot on Google the definition came up as attempt  

Date: 6/10/2019 12:16:38 PM

--
J

--
J

--
J

The bottom line is that this is a no-op for groups who won’t resend the notice anyway because they’re hardliners on it being members’ responsibility to respond the first time. And it is a modest improvement for groups who do believe in resending the notice. I think there’s not much more to be said. It is a trivial (although slightly less than trivial to implement) change that can’t possibly do any harm. Therefore, I am done here! 

On Jun 10, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Leeni <leeniluvsgroups@...> wrote:

What is funny was when looked up the word attemot on Google the definition came up as attempt  

Date: 6/10/2019 12:16:38 PM

--
J

--
J

--
J

--
J

I am now repeating my request for this feature. I strongly fee that if possible, the second and third sendings of the pending message should be labeled as such. We have now experienced, not for the first time, a member who has responded identically to the both the first and second pending messages, sending us two emails, having apparently seen them both in her inbox at the same time and not realized that the second one was simply a repeat of the first. Labelling as "second attempt" would have prevented this.
--
J

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I am now repeating my request for this feature.

I've changed it so that when you resend a pending subscription notice, it now prepends 'Resend: ' to the subject line. In order to track the number of times a pending subscriber message has been sent, I'd need to add a column to the subscription table in the database, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Great, thanks! That should be good enough. 

On Jul 12, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I am now repeating my request for this feature.

I've changed it so that when you resend a pending subscription notice, it now prepends 'Resend: ' to the subject line. In order to track the number of times a pending subscriber message has been sent, I'd need to add a column to the subscription table in the database, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks,
Mark

--
J