Topics

moderated Pending subscription message now including location/other info

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 05:42 PM, Duane wrote:
I'm talking about the notice I get when someone joins a group that's not restricted.
Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood because you mentioned that you were not using the Pending Notice until recently. Since the Pending Notice only exists in a restricted group, I figured you had a restricted group but were not using the notice.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 05:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The information is included in the "Subscription Approval Notice" that you receive, regardless of whether or not you have an active "Pending Subscription Notice."
I'm not talking about the "Subscription Approval Notice" for restricted groups, I'm talking about the notice I get when someone joins a group that's not restricted.

Duane

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 01:46 PM, Duane wrote:
I just realized this morning (yeah, I'm slow sometimes) that it would be useful to include this information in the subscription application when a person joins via web.  I wasn't using the Pending Notice until yesterday, so hadn't really seen it before.
 The information is included in the "Subscription Approval Notice" that you receive, regardless of whether or not you have an active "Pending Subscription Notice."

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 06:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
the pending subscription email notifications now include the pending subscriber's platform, browser, location and IP address in the message, assuming they applied to the group via the website
I just realized this morning (yeah, I'm slow sometimes) that it would be useful to include this information in the subscription application when a person joins via web.  I wasn't using the Pending Notice until yesterday, so hadn't really seen it before.

It just occurred to me: will moderators of unrestricted groups also be privy to this info? Why should it be limited to mods of restricted groups?

Is anything like that included when someone just sets up a groups.io account before joining any groups?

Hi All,

If there's a strong preference, I can add some help text to the 'Apply For Membership In This Group' button that says something like 'Your IP and browser information will be included in the request'.

Mark

Marina

I am very sorry. I was looking in the wrong place.
The location was stated in the "Subscription Approval Needed" mail. I hardly take notice of those messages because I usually check my group via web.
Thank you for your patience,
Marina

Marina

Sorry for being so dumb, but where can I find the Location field in a pending member's message?
A member has just applied to join my group and sent a message to the group owner with a brief introduction, as required. Apparently, the message was sent by a mobile through Groups.io website.
I have checked his message both online, in the Owner's message tab, and through Gmail ("Show original"), but I haven't been able to find any Location field.

Thanks for your help,
Marina

J_Catlady wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 02:56 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
an individual opt-in/out during the join/apply flow.
That would really defeat the purpose. Plus, if someone opted out I would not approve their membership.
Exactly what I thought. This isn't (or shouldn't be) a choice to give or not this information to the mods. It would then be too easy to a spammer or any person not well intentioned to simple don't give this info and still be able to join the group.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 02:56 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
an individual opt-in/out during the join/apply flow.
That would really defeat the purpose. Plus, if someone opted out I would not approve their membership.

Helen,

I find this grossly intrusive. ... For certain groups (e.g. certain
heath issues), this could even put people off joining.
I see your point, much as I appreciate having that info in other types of groups.

Any way to turn this intrusive monitoring off please?
I can think of two ways of handling it: a group level control or an individual opt-in/out during the join/apply flow.

If it must be on, it should be made clear to applicants that this
information is being sent to group mods.
As a group level control (which is what I think you are seeking) its status should at the very least be included in the home-page list of Group Settings. Whether that is prominent enough or not I'm not certain.

I think a group like your example would use some language in its group Description to reinforce the reassurance that the option is off. For groups that have the option on, I don't expect them to use their Description for scary warnings. Nor am I really enthusiastic about having a scary disclaimer around the Join/Apply button on their home pages.

However, as things stand, once they've clicked that button the information has been delivered to the mods. So as much as I detest it, the best option might be to have an intervening page (or pop-up) when a user clicks that button.

As an individual control, such a notification page (or pop-up) could include Yes and No buttons to make an individual opt-in or opt-out of sending this info to the mods.

Shal

On 2019-06-22 8:25 AM, Helen wrote:
I find this grossly intrusive. I can see where people are to the nearest small town, which may be helpful for local associations, but which for my international groups is frankly irrelevant. And their OS is their business, not mine. For certain groups (e.g. certain heath issues), this could even put people off joining.
I vet people via the requirement to respond to a questionnaire, which works just fine. Any way to turn this intrusive monitoring off please?
If it must be on, it should be made clear to applicants that this information is being sent to group mods.
Helen

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 06:01 PM, Leeni wrote:
it would be more beneficial to an owner to have that ISP show up on the pending application and then also after the member joins on the membership list for reference.
Agreed. The current access method is of very limited usefulness.

Ok, I found it in the email. (Mark, you can delete my other pending message about not being able to find it.:-)

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 06:02 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
On the web UI, it is under More >> View Source The command on your email program varies. eg) Outlook 2010: "View Source", GMAIL: "Show Original".
Yes, I found all that, but it's not much help.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 06:02 PM, Helen wrote:
She probably still is a member of my group
Not unless she's using one of her aliases. Her groups.io account was disabled/deleted at that point.

All group crises pass.
True, sort of. This person is still on the warpath outside of groups.io.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On the web UI, it is under More >> View Source

The command on your email program varies. eg) Outlook 2010: "View Source", GMAIL: "Show Original".

This is info that is readily available to anyone receiving emails or using a browser. Mark just made it easier to find when an Owner / Moderator is doing their job.

--
Gerald

She probably still is a member of my group, but I'm only concerned if people cause trouble and fortunately that seems to have passed us by. The problem of fake members hasn't happened in years, for which I am very grateful, but if it did happen, it wouldn't be the end of the world. All group crises pass.

Helen

Leeni

That information can be helpful in some kinds of groups where members join a group for the wrong reasons (spying)

I would say while it is good to have the ISP and location on the pending application which unless we write down or save this email which most owners do not, it would be more beneficial to an owner to have that ISP show up on the pending application and then also after the member joins on the membership list for reference.

Leeni