Topics

moderated Ability to #transfer Yahoo post #attachments please?!

Jim Wilson

I have successfully backed up our Yahoo Group with PG Offline, complete with Attachments, Files, Links and Photos.

I also note that messages on Groups.IO have the exact same attachment capability.

If PG Offline can copy message attachments from Yahoo, why then is Groups.IO unable to do the same?

We are a genealogy group. We're don't have to have the links but we need our attachments. At last count, we have about 2,600 attachments spread over 91,000 posts that requires only about 350 MB of storage. There is no point in moving to Groups.IO without them.

If this is service for which we must pay, how much will it cost? What do we have to do to get this done?

Bob Bellizzi

Jim, based on what Ancestry costs, I'd say that the cost for a transfer from Yahoo is fairly inexpensive.
It's one year on the Premium program which you can look up by using the Pricing link in the footer of the screen
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Jim,

I can't answer your question other than to say the answer has always been that the feature is not available. If you want to try to negotiate a different answer, you will need to contact support at groups dot io.

However, if you have the attachments from PG Offline, could you manually upload them as files to groups.io.

--
Gerald

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 06:31 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
I have successfully backed up our Yahoo Group with PG Offline, complete with Attachments, Files, Links and Photos.

I also note that messages on Groups.IO have the exact same attachment capability.

If PG Offline can copy message attachments from Yahoo, why then is Groups.IO unable to do the same?

We are a genealogy group. We're don't have to have the links but we need our attachments. At last count, we have about 2,600 attachments spread over 91,000 posts that requires only about 350 MB of storage. There is no point in moving to Groups.IO without them.

If this is service for which we must pay, how much will it cost? What do we have to do to get this done?

Jim Wilson

Bob, I should have been more clear. I meant, "what will it cost over-and-above the Premium package price?"

I am a Network Administrator by trade and, as a result, am also very familiar with database capabilities and technology. I quickly built a fairly powerful D-Series desktop on my personal Azure account, installed PG Offline and proceeded to download all 91,336 messages and 350 MB of files from my Yahoo group in less than 6 hours without any scary lockouts I was told would certainly occur. So, I now know for a fact that it is possible to download the Attachments because I'm looking at them on my desktop.

What I don't understand is why this hasn't already been available for many years as part of the transfer process, especially when attachments are built into messaging here. It doesn't make sense from a future business standpoint, either, when very serious maintenance issues at Yahoo are becoming painfully obvious and indicate Groups won't be around much longer. I will not be the only one asking for this when Yahoo decides to pull the plug.

So, to clarify, I would be willing to pay a reasonable hourly rate for an appropriate person within the Groups.IO organization to do the necessary database work in lieu of a standard procedure.

We want to move here because we know GIO's historical ties to eGroups and Yahoo, employing a similar UX, is well-maintained and supported.

If no one will help us, we will be forced to use phpBB or some other package to accomplish what we need and Groups.IO will not have us as a customer.

Hi Jim,

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM Jim Wilson via Groups.Io <groupsio=texnetsys.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have successfully backed up our Yahoo Group with PG Offline, complete with Attachments, Files, Links and Photos.

Can PG Offline save the messages (with attachments) in mbox format? If so, we can use that to do the import for you.

Mark