Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • CHANGE: Previously, members couldn't vote in polls in announcement groups. Now the announcement setting has no effect on whether someone can vote in a poll.
  • CHANGE: Changed wording/color of the button to expand/collapse quoted message parts.
  • CHANGE: Groups can now have multiple active welcome messages.
  • INTERNAL: Added the ability to re-write the From lines of emails from specific domains, as we already do with DMARC, to hopefully fix a delivery issue with samsung.com
  • CHANGE: Added additional text to the Repost Message item in the More menu, describing when you can next repost the message.
  • BUGFIX: When paging through member search results for a query that includes a special character (like @), the query was not properly unescaped.
  • BUGFIX: Changed how we pull messages from the database during a group export to decrease the load on the database as well as increase reliability of the operation.
  • BUGFIX: For groups requiring hashtags, posting on the website didn't display an error when you tried to post without a hashtag.
  • SYSADMIN: Replaced all webserver instances to fix a kernel issue.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mark

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 08:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
CHANGE: Groups can now have multiple active welcome messages.
Mark,

I tested this and I think it's a great addition. All the active welcome messages are automatically sent to new members, which means you can now send a traditional welcome message (e.g., "welcome to the Shakespeare sonnets group"), along with another separate one containing deeper content (e.g., examples of some sonnets and their analysis), etc.

Taking advantage, as usual, of the opportunity to ask for more, I am suggesting again that at some point in time, the member notices triggered by actions under moderator control (e.g., message rejection, member removal) can be chosen at the time of the action - instead, as currently, of having to choose, before doing the individual action, which "active" one will go out automatically and then having to go back and reset, etc. (I bring this up because that's what I at first thought this welcome-message change consisted of.)

Mark,
CHANGE: Groups can now have multiple active welcome messages.
And what happens in such a case?
I mean, why have more than one welcome active messages and, in case I have, all welcome messages will be sent at once to every new member?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 07:45 AM, Marcio wrote:
And what happens in such a case?
They're all sent. I think this could be very helpful in some cases. For example, in my group I've been wanting to send informational files as well as our standard welcome message at the time a member joins, but until now, that's been impossible.

J,
They're all sent. I think this could be very helpful in some cases.
Got it. You're right - it's nice to have such option. I would use it to send a traditional welcome message and then the group rules. Really cool :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

For the group rules, it’s probably best to use the “group guidelines” notice. That also appears on the “guidelines” tab on the site and can be automatically sent both monthly and to new members. Less to maintain.

On May 25, 2019, at 7:57 AM, Marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> wrote:

J,
They're all sent. I think this could be very helpful in some cases.
Got it. You're right - it's nice to have such option. I would use it to send a traditional welcome message and then the group rules. Really cool :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Mark,

* INTERNAL: Added the ability to re-write the From lines of emails
from specific domains, as we already do with DMARC, to hopefully fix
a delivery issue with samsung.com
I'm unclear on how that would help with delivery of messages from a specific domain, unless you actually mean messages being delivered /to/ that domain.

Shal

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 11:03 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

 > * INTERNAL: Added the ability to re-write the From lines of emails
 >   from specific domains, as we already do with DMARC, to hopefully fix
 >   a delivery issue with samsung.com

I'm unclear on how that would help with delivery of messages from a
specific domain, unless you actually mean messages being delivered /to/
that domain.

Yes, the proper fix is to re-write the From line for messages sent from a Samsung address to a Samsung address. I will revisit this at some point and do a proper fix.

Dave Wade

Mark,

Whilst I don’t think you have many “stockport.gov.uk” addresses these also used to bounce external mails with an internal “from” address…..

Dave wade

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

Mark,

Whilst I don’t think you have many “stockport.gov.uk” addresses these also used to bounce external mails with an internal “from” address…..

I've added this domain. In the future, if anyone has a domain to add to one of the various re-write lists, please send it to support.