Topics

moderated "Show quoted text" box is great, now pushing my luck with further suggestion

Mark,

I noticed, and really like, the new "Show quoted text" box, which has taken the place of the former ellipses!

I will take advantage of the opportunity to push again for a possible change wherein the member's groups.io auto-sig is not considered part of the quoted text when a message is sent by email. The sigs currently never show up in displayed or emailed messages send by members via email, because they're added at the very bottom and considered part of the quoted text.

I understand that an email auto-sig (as opposed to a groups.io auto-sig) would be difficult or impossible to sort out from quoted text (including prior emails in the thread). But when groups.io adds a sig to the message body, couldn't it be considered/treated as part of the message content when creating the message that's sent out and posted in the archive?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:07 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I will take advantage of the opportunity to push again for a possible change wherein the member's groups.io auto-sig is not considered part of the quoted text when a message is sent by email. The sigs currently never show up in displayed or emailed messages send by members via email, because they're added at the very bottom and considered part of the quoted text.

I spent part of the long weekend re-writing the code that figured out which parts of a message were quoted replies (and could therefore be collapsed when viewing them in the archives). The code was a mess before; I'm much happier with it now. As part of that, we no longer collapse signatures when viewing messages in the archives.

Please let me know if you see any strange behavior.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 02:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
we no longer collapse signatures when viewing messages in the archives.

Please let me know if you see any strange behavior.
Mark,

Great! Will check it out soon.

Mark,

I finally got a chance to test this. You did exactly what you said you did, namely: when there is a reply via email, the signature now appears when viewing the reply in the archives, rather than being swept into the quoted test.

However, my request was more general and not qualified by the phrase "when viewing messages in the archives." :) When viewing a reply in email, the sig is still put at the very bottom, below all the quoted text, and is therefore not really seen in general, or is hard to see.

I was hoping that for display purposes, either in the email OR the archive message, the signature would appear directly below the message body. In essence, it would be treated as part of the message body, at least for display purposes. (I realize it needs to be treated differently for other purposes, e.g., search.)

When someone composes a message, the auto-sig seems to be just a convenience in that it appears at the bottom of the message body and can still be modified while composing the message. It *is*, at least in that sense, part of the message body.

But I'm probably just getting greedy as usual. :)