Topics

moderated Feature Requests

Hi,

I pick up some old requests frequently asked for, since I find them essential for group management and miss them very much:

-        When applying for membership to group make available an option to add a sentence or two as to why s.o. is applying.

-        After application is completed the term “joined” is misleading. “Applied for” or s.th.similar would be more helpful. “Joined” makes sense when application is approved and membership is achieved.

-        Automatic notification to owners and moderators when files, photos are uploaded would be very helpful in order to avoid unfitting or misleading uploads. This should be an optional feature to be chosen in “notifications”.

Best wishes

Victoria

Bob Bellizzi

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 05:15 AM, Victoria wrote:
I pick up some old requests frequently asked for, since I find them essential for group management and miss them very much:
You confuse me.  "to miss" smething means thst you once had it or the ability to use it on groups.io.
to the best of my knowledge these did not exist here.
Also very confusing is your use on non-standard abbreviations for words.  For clarity and better understanding by those who read this group your really should not abbreviate any words other than those with commonly known abbreviations such as States and organizations, etc. One my totally misunderstand your meaning by "making up" an incorrect word from your abbreviation

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

KWKloeber

a checkbox on the file upload dialogue to “notify (or not) members about the upload”

That’s already there, or I I don’t understand the request.

On May 17, 2019, at 12:03 AM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

a checkbox on the file upload dialogue to “notify (or not) members about the upload”

Chris Jones

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:51 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That’s already there, or I don’t understand the request.
I'm not sure I understand it either; it all looks a bit muddled.

However the original post reads Automatic notification to owners and moderators when files, photos are uploaded would be very helpful... which is not the same thing as an optional notification to members when something is uploaded, which currently exists for Files if not Photos.

Like Bob I am "confused".I think this topic requires a reset so that we have a much clearer view of what is being sought.

Chris

Game of telephone. All the features requested in the original post were previously requested; not sure why they're being repeated here. Poster is a non-native speaker of English, if that helps explain the language issue. The feature requested by Ken already exists. The thread is basically a no-op. :)

John Russell

The last request seems clear to me - Automatic notification to owners and moderators when files, photos are uploaded would be very helpful in order to avoid unfitting or misleading uploads. This should be an optional feature to be chosen in “notifications”.

This is quite different to the current feature which allows members to choose to send a message to all members of the group on each upload.

The problem with automatic emails generated to the owner/moderator on uploading is that this could be a lot of emails if one member uploads many files or photos. A more important issue is that if they should not have been uploaded (because they break the policy of the group for such uploads), then the horse has already left the stable. Later deletion of the file or photo after the members have been notified by email of the uploaded file or photo is too late.

I would prefer to have an optional feature (default value off, to preserve the current situation) to apply moderation to uploads of files and/or photos. This would then queue the uploads and allow owners or moderators to decline or allow them, with or without messages to the original poster (just like moderating messages). In addition to applying moderation, would be the option to generate an email so that the owner/moderator is informed of the file or photo waiting in the moderation queue (default off to preserve the current situation).

Regards

John Russell

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 09:04 PM, John Russell wrote:
The last request seems clear to me - Automatic notification to owners and moderators
That's the original request, and it was requested long ago and I think has been on the todo list for a long time as part of the planned "notification overhaul."

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 09:04 PM, John Russell wrote:
apply moderation to uploads of files and/or photos
Almost forgot: that's also been requested and is on the todo list. There's a "trello" list somewhere of planned features (or there used to be), but I don't use it.

to miss" smething means thst you once had it or the ability to use it on groups.io.
to the best of my knowledge these did not exist here.
No, they do not. It is a feature yahoo has, and since my group was moved from there, I said I miss it.
Sorry for not understandable abbreviations. I was sure everyone understands s.o. as someone and s.th. as something...

Victoria

However the original post reads Automatic notification to owners and moderators when files, photos are uploaded would be very helpful... which is not the same thing as an optional notification to members when something is uploaded, which currently exists for Files if not Photos.
Exactly. I am not talking about the notification box I can click when I upload a file. I am talking about an additional feature within the moderator and owner notifications such as below:
Notifications
Email when there are messages needing approval.
Email when there are members needing approval.
Email when a member joins/leaves this group.
Email when group storage limits are reached.
Email when someone creates or deletes a subgroup.
Email when someone reports a message.
my suggestion: "Email when someone uploads a file or a photo."
If a moderator or owner does not want to be notified, then there is no need to affirm.

Victoria