Topics

moderated New feature: donations

Hi All,

I have just rolled out the ability for premium groups to request donations from their members. There's a new Donations tab under the Admin sidebar menu, where you can create and manage donation requests. Groups that have open donation requests will see a new Donations tab in the normal group sidebar where members can view open donation requests.

Here is the text you see when you go to the Admin Donations page for the first time:

  • We use Stripe.com to accept credit card payments. In order to accept donations, you will need to have a Stripe account.
  • Clicking the Connect with Stripe button will take you to a page to create a new Stripe account or connect an existing Stripe account. Stripe accounts are free.
  • Once you've connected a Stripe account, you will be able to create donation requests and your members will be able to donate using a credit card.
  • The Groups.io processing fee is 20%, which includes all credit card processing fees.
  • When you create a donation request, it is considered open, which means that members can submit donations. You can close donations when they are complete.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvements.

Thanks, Mark

Duane

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 04:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The Groups.io processing fee is 20%
Isn't that a little steep?  Or is it just me?

Duane

It sounded steep to me at first, until I realized that (presumably?) most of the donations will probably be very small amounts. So, like, Paypal takes much less than 20%, but presumably from reasonably large amounts, consisting of payment for services, so their cut amounts to more than a few cents. If groups.io were to take the 3 or 4 % (I forget which) that Paypal takes, it would probably amount to virtually nothing.

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 1:24 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 04:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The Groups.io processing fee is 20%
Isn't that a little steep?  Or is it just me?

Bob Bellizzi

PayPal takes 2.9% + 30 cents for normal stuff.  for nonprofits it's 2.2% + 30 cents.
this would be the charges for normal customers
Amt$ PayPal     Stripe
  Cut Net   cut net
2 0.36 1.64   0.40 1.60
5 0.45 4.56   1.00 4.00
10 0.59 9.41   2.00 8.00
20 0.88 19.12   4.00 16.00
50 1.75 48.25   10.00 40.00
100 3.20 96.80   20.00 80.00

Nonprofit would be .7% less cut for PayPal
Amt$ PayPal     Stripe
  Cut Net   cut net
2 0.34 1.66   0.40 1.60
5 0.41 4.59   1.00 4.00
10 0.52 9.48   2.00 8.00
20 0.74 19.26   4.00 16.00
50 1.40 48.60   10.00 40.00
100 2.50 97.50   20.00 80.00
Stripe looks pretty steep to me
GoFundMe starts at 10% and  Mightycause (ex Razoo) was only 6% last I checked.

Possibly I missed something from Mark?

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Stripe itself is also 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.  https://stripe.com/pricing

--
Gerald

Hey, maybe it was a typo and was supposed to be 2%, not 20%?

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 8:05 PM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 08:24 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Stripe looks pretty steep to me
Stripe itself is also 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.  https://stripe.com/pricing

--
Gerald

Bob Bellizzi

In any event, it's not an issue for us.  Our Primary donor input is through Paypal and our shopping cart and we try to make all charitable money sharks available to anyone who wants to use them no matter the fee because nonprofits should never turn a donor away unless they have a legal or moral objection to the donor.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Holly <holly@...>

Is it amazing if Mark wants to help fund this service using Stripe (never heard of that before his post) many of us enjoy for free? And, compared to any of the 3 list services and 1 majordomo experience I've had over the last 25 years, not to mention running various lists as simply email I managed and sent out by hand, I'm personally blown away by Mark's dedication and service.

I'm not at this point in a position or need to upgrade to Premium, but I would in a heartbeat if I could. Yeah, I know, everyone using a free service says that - I should put my money where my mouth is. But my list is small (under 100) and I can't see asking for the members to donate enough to cover the cost of going Premium so it would be all out of my pocket, and that pocket isn't very deep.

Way to go, Mark! I can't believe your dedication to the functionality of groups.io. Thank you!

Holly

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 04:24 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
GoFundMe starts at 10%
That would be a better model, since GoFundMe, like the situation here, applies to donations. That's closer to Mark's 20%.

Marv Waschke

I don't think any of my groups are likely to use a donations service, but I think about it like this: every service is paid for in some way. Free Google services are paid for by scanning searches and contents in order to charge for targeted ads. Facebook is paid for in a similar way. These methods of payment are rather secretive. Not everyone even realizes how they pay for Google, Facebook, and a host of other "free" services. Even fewer have any idea to whom data on their habits are sold and how much it is sold for. I prefer visible payments: I want to know what is sold, to whom, and for how much. With most "free" services, the business is hazy, to say the least. Groups.io keeps its business transparent: fees for premium service and now a percentage on donation services. A transparent model that I like that very much.

Is 20% high? I don't know because I am not sure what other similar services do in addition to taking a percentage. I am more concerned that Mark may not be charging enough because I like Groups.io and don't want it to dry up and blow away for lack of funding.
Best, Marv

I've read through the comments and I have my own thoughts about how this will affect me and my groups. I have two groups that I moved over from Y! and took Premium over two years ago. I continue to pay for them out of my own pocket. When members found out there was a fee, they asked about making donations, and at that time I told them to wait and see what Mark worked out.

As it's been described by Mark, this won't be something we'll be using. As I explained, I'm already paying Mark every month for services beyond basic. I don't see the additional surcharge for donations as paying anything to groups.io for that.

I have two classes of members - those that might give $5 and those that might toss in $100. They guy with $5 is on a fixed income and doesn't want to see 20% of his donation got to someone else for something he doesn't see a benefit from. He'd rather mail a check. The guy with $100 doesn't see the value of giving $20 to some unknown entity for a single transaction. They both understand, and many use, PayPal and know that is less expensive.

And since it sounds like this would be a single time event, and not something people could donate to as they saw fit, it becomes a lot more work for me to have periodic regular drives to drum up donations. I know how tired people get of those public broadcasting television drives.

In the end it would be cheaper and simpler for me to set up a separate account at the bank that PayPal donations could go into, plus a monthly stipend from me, and have my groups.io payments taken out of that.

Dano

If all your incoming donations would just be going back into Groups.io to support your premium membership, maybe there should be a special option for that that doesn't take out the 20%. Mark just keeps all the money and extends the premium group expiration date. Then group members can feel that they're directly supporting the group status and the platform.

I think the 20% concept is for groups that want to charge a fee and keep it. Mark takes a cut of that to support the platform that enables the group.

JohnF

Sounds complicated.

On May 6, 2019, at 5:54 PM, JohnF via Groups.Io <johnf1686=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If all your incoming donations would just be going back into Groups.io to support your premium membership, maybe there should be a special option for that that doesn't take out the 20%. Mark just keeps all the money and extends the premium group expiration date. Then group members can feel that they're directly supporting the group status and the platform.

I think the 20% concept is for groups that want to charge a fee and keep it. Mark takes a cut of that to support the platform that enables the group.

JohnF

Hi All,

I've reduced the fee on donations from 20% to 5%, which includes all credit card fees.

Pete F

I'm glad I read this far! I couldn't find anything on the website, so I looked in this group. When I saw 20%, I figured "no benefit to us above using Stripe or PayPal."

But at 5%, it might be worth considering! I'd urge you to add this to your website, if you want people to consider it, as I almost walked away without learning of the 75% reduction in price.

-Pete

If it’s to provide income for the platform - I would pay for Premium to be able to have a private group. Since that option was shut down I’ve shelled out more than the cost of Premium unsuccessfully trying to find and set up a suitable alternative. Because of previous issues related to lack of privacy in other health-related groups some key participants prefer to not work within groups.io if we can’t shield their email address.  We’re not talking dark web anonymity but simply protecting someone with a serious medical condition from vultures.

Bob Bellizzi

We've had our 3600 support and advocacy for a genetic vision problem group on groups.io for almost 4 years and no one vulture has been able to land on our members as a result.
The key  to protecting your members is to carefully filter the inductees before they land in your group.
We had the same track record at Yahoo groups forr over 15 years for the same reason.
A similar, much smaller group overseas eschewed groups.io and spent months and money building a custom website/group which is essentially useless because it's so  complicated for the users.  I monitor it and find it difficult to use even though I've been in software far longer that most.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Bob,

The key  to protecting your members is to carefully filter the inductees before they land in your group.

Agreed.

But I think Patti is subtly trying to bump her prior topic Email Privacy, which has a particular meaning of "private group". Which I support (leaving out the mail forwarding feature).
Shal

Bob Bellizzi

Subtle doesn't belong here.
--