Topics

moderated Database instructions - wishlist

Milt Baker

When one opens a Groups.io database, there are no instructions at the top telling a member how to add a new record.  That seems to have kept a lot of our members from adding to the databases in the groups I moderate.  Moreover, the "Add Row" button isn't intuitive to non-programmers and it in the wrong location.

Recommendation - Add the following to the Groups.io wishlist:

Create a new "Add New Record" button at the top of the database to replace the current "Add Row" button at the bottom of the database.

To illustrate the problem, following is an exchange with one of my new members on the subject.

Thanks,

Milt Baker, owner/chief moderator, Nordhavn Owners Group (NOG)

Hi milt,

I am trying to add my info about N5276, however when I click on the link you provided, it gives me a list of owners. I can edit the database (scary thing to allow users to do), however I can’t see a spot to add info.

Thanks
Kenn & Kim Morrison
N5276

Re: NOG

Inbox

On May 2, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Milt Baker <miltbaker47@...> wrote:

Kenn,

I admit that creating a new record in the Groups.io database is not very intuitive!  That's probably scared off more than a few people off.

Actually, adding your information is really quite simple.  Here's how to do it:

Once you get to the Nordhavn Owners Group Members database, scroll to the bottom and click on the red box that says + Add Row which is Groups.io-speak for create a new database record.   Then a series of labeled blank boxes will pop up, so just go ahead and enter your information for each blank box.  Not all boxes require answers, but we recommend that you provide information in every box.  Once you've done that, you can add a picture of yourself and your mate and one of your boat.  Once you've done that, be sure to click on the + Save Row box to save the information,

Easy-peasy!

Good luck,

Milt
Re: NOG

Inbox

Kenn Morrison
10:43 AM (19 minutes ago)

to me

Hi milt,

Done and thanks for the quick response.

Thanks again for all you do for the group.

Thanks
Kenn

Drew

You can include your own instructions at the top of the db table; just edit the Description field. See attached jpg.

Drew

On 05/02/19 11:05, Milt Baker wrote:
[...]

Sent from my iPhone

-------
Re: NOG
-------

I admit that creating a new record in the Groups.io ( http://groups.io/ )
http://groups.io/ ) -speak for create a new database record.   Then a
-------------
10:43 AM (19 minutes ago)
to me
Hi milt,
Done and thanks for the quick response.
Thanks again for all you do for the group.
Thanks
Kenn

Peter Rawbone

This is what we've included:
"This is where Members add or update their info - some cells are required and in others it is up to the individual to decide.
To sort a column, just click its heading - magic, or what?!
To scroll across the page, select any cell and use the cursor keys to move to more cells.  Tablet users can just swipe!
New Members:
  • With the table open, to add your details, click the GREEN 'Add Row' button towards the bottom of the list.  When complete don't forget to click the Save Row button!
Existing Members:
  • To update your entry, enter your name into the search box (upper right).  A single line with some of your details will appear.  If there are some ‘??’s in some sections, select Edit, please delete them and insert the appropriate information, when finished, click the Update button.
  • If you find that you have duplicate entries, tick the box adjoining the row you don't want to keep and press the Delete Row button, then click the Update button."
To date, it seems to have worked(!) and you're welcome to copy it if you wish.

Regards
Peter

Milt Baker

Great information, Drew and Peter.  Just what I needed!

I shoulda known that Groups.io had been down that road before me.

Many thanks,

Milt