Topics

moderated Custom invitation message changes the Member Notice

Bruce Bowman

Sometimes when I send a group invitation, I change the canned wording to customize it for the invitee. After sending the invitation, I then have to return to my Member Notices and edit it back to what it was.

I would be grateful if edits to the inserted text in the invitation screen did NOT automatically modify the Member Notice.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce

Although the invite is not really a member notice yet, possibly (at some point in the future) it could be made into one, and there could be more than one invite "notice" per group so that you could choose which one to use at the time of sending, as with some of the other notice types.

I agree that the current situation is a bit of a PITA.

Oops, I just checked and this is already the case. The invite is a notice type already.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 10:05 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
The invite is a notice type already.
...but does not behave as some of the others, where you can pick which one you want at the time of the invitation. So maybe that's all that needs to be changed.

Barry_M

I agree with Bruce and noticed the same as I was getting my group setup for launch last week.  Hopefully adding on (versus being a non-sequitur) to that point with this but I'd like to suggest some basic logic be coded in to allow situationally-specific member notices.

As an example, I realized early (after getting help on the GMF group) that you can only have one notice "active" at a time else any new member will get more than one email upon joining (assuming you have 2 or more notices and at least 2 are marked "active").  Ideally, I'd have loved to haven been able to "if/then" those notices.  I.e., a new member who'd been directly added would receive a notice starting:

"Hello and welcome!  You've been added to the XYZ listserv..."

Versus a new member approved via their request:

"Hello and thank you for requesting membership to the XYZ listserv. You have been approved and..."

Thank you,
Barry

This is an issue I’ve brought up several times: there is strange logic (or possible no logic) surrounding which notices can be chosen at the time of the action vs which are chosen as “active” and are sent without real-time choice. I’ve previously suggested that all notices for actions under moderator control (which excludes only “leave group,” “joined”  in unrestricted groups, etc.) should have a drop down available at the time of the action. Currently, for example, removing someone from a group, or rejecting a subscription, requires mods to determine which (if any) notice is marked “active”, then (usually) move the “active” designation to the notice they want to use for the particular case, then (often) move it back to what it was. This makes no sense to me and I think only actions with no moderator real-time control should use “active” thd wsy it’s currently used.