moderated "Find Content" for Member Function

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Now that I'm moderating several groups here on Groups.io, and in "full functioning moderator" position, I'm finding that I really miss functions I have elsewhere that I use frequently.

Elsewhere, in both the moderators Members list, and the public Member directory, I or the members have the ability to click on a control that will instantly do a search for all content in the archive that was generated by a given member.   This comes in handy on a number of occasions.

I'm not wed to that even necessarily being a standalone function, but if it isn't it would be very nice to add advanced functions to the Search function where one could specify messages only from a given member in addition to any other search criteria or as the only search criterion.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Maria

I'm interested in this suggestion, and generally anything that gives mods more tools - - but wondering if the "view all posts by this member" option on the member's profile doesn't already do this?
Do you mean something that shows you all of their activity beyond just posts? I search the activity log of a group to find that info...
Or am i not getting the scope of the suggestion?
Maria

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:59 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
instantly do a search for all content in the archive that was generated by a given member.
Yes! Having to go to the member activity log is cumbersome and something I wind up doing a lot. It's the "just one more click" principle again. It's not just one click: it's how many times you have to do it.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:08 PM, HR Tech wrote:
gives mods more tools
I was thinking only of messages (content) created by a member, but, this feature should not only be available to moderators or owners.

I have very often as a member remembered that "so and so was talking about such and such about a month ago, and I can't seem to get the right search terms to pull it up."  When that happens, I use the "Find Content" feature on that member's profile (which, of course, has to be a public profile in order for me to see it as a regular member) to pull up the list of topics they've participated in, from most recent to oldest sort order by default.   I can generally then recognize the topic I'm recalling as I glance at the topics and the timeframe.

Also, though this has not happened at all on the Groups.io groups I moderate, one can definitely get what I call Rapid Serial Spammers, who very cleverly make a first post that appears to be entirely legit, gets approved and unmoderated, then begins to flood with spam afterward.   It is a grand PITA to clean up afterward, but made much easier by being able to pull up all content from said member in one fell swoop.

Like I said, this could be implemented as a function/button, or it could be implemented as an advanced search option, or it could be implemented both ways.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

By the way, I had asked about advanced search functionality on the Group_Help group in February, citing examples of what I'd love to see in terms of advanced search were such to be implemented.  Since the screenshots are already in that post, here it is:  https://groups.io/g/Group_Help/message/335

As is obvious in both examples, searching for content from a single member can be done easily.  Bleeping Computer also happens to have a button associated with each public user profile that executes what amounts to an advanced search for messages only by that particular user, labeled Find Content.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Duane

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:45 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I was thinking only of messages (content) created by a member, but, this feature should not only be available to moderators or owners.
In that case, the "All Posts By This Member" in the More menu or on their Profile page will find the posts.  Or you can do it from the Search box by entering "posterid:xxx" where xxx is their poster id.  A name could be used, if that person always signs their posts, as you and I do.  Both functions can be used by regular members.

Duane

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Duane,

          Many thanks for this information.  I will certainly be putting it to use.

          I still believe that a more obvious and "user friendly" (whether for members or mods) method would be useful, so I'm still asking for it (whether I get it or not).

              ~ Brian Vogel