Topics

moderated Hide Topic Function #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

It's not something that's needed all that often, but it's very handy to have.

There are occasions when a topic is introduced where additional discussion among group management may be needed to decide whether or not it should be permitted.  You don't want to delete the topic, and locking the topic still allows it to appear, which you don't want, either.  It could also be a great tool if a "cooling off period" on a given topic became desirable.

The ability to remove a topic from view, and the ability to interact with it, would be very helpful.  Just like members get a, "this topic is locked," message back if they attempt to respond by e-mail to a locked topic, a similar message such as, "this topic is currently under review and cannot be added to until review is complete," could be sent if someone attempted to reply to a topic that has since been hidden.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Also, I forgot to mention that if such were to be implemented, it's vital that the Lock function can be used in conjunction with the Hide function.

If I am recalling correctly, if one locks a topic, then deletes that topic, members can reply to it and have that reply re-create the topic one was trying to eradicate.  There needs to be a way to either lock and delete - and have the lock apply to all subsequent direct reply attempts, or hide and lock, which would have the same effect were someone to try to reply directly.   If the decision has been made to lock a topic, hidden, visible or deleted, the member should get the "topic locked" message back if they attempt to reply to it.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

If the topic is by email though and the topic let's say was deleted from the forum but not from the person's email obviously, they can and I've seen cases where they do, reply to a now deleted thread and trouble starts all over again. I recall a discussion like this a few montsh ago or sometime last year on this list, or was it the beta list, and in the end there was no solution.

On 15 Apr 2019, at 9:19, Brian Vogel wrote:

Also, I forgot to mention that if such were to be implemented, it's vital that the Lock function can be used in conjunction with the Hide function.

If I am recalling correctly, if one locks a topic, then deletes that topic, members can reply to it and have that reply re-create the topic one was trying to eradicate.  There needs to be a way to either lock and delete - and have the lock apply to all subsequent direct reply attempts, or hide and lock, which would have the same effect were someone to try to reply directly.   If the decision has been made to lock a topic, hidden, visible or deleted, the member should get the "topic locked" message back if they attempt to reply to it.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Sarah,

            Hence the reason I say that a "Hide then Lock" feature could be used to avoid said situation.   I recall the topics you're making reference to, and in all cases it was because a locked topic had subsequently been deleted that the "raising from the dead" could occur.  Groups.io does not (and perhaps cannot) keep a log of deleted topics such that if someone attempts to reply to one via e-mail that it will bounce (and that's what I'd want it to do).

             If I can keep the topic, but hide it, then lock it, it is still a part of the group topic structure, but not accessible to the membership at large for further interaction, which is what I'd be looking for on certain occasions.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

I can see that, and that could be a viable option. Mark?