Topics

moderated "Likes" revisited

Another point of view on Likes:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/style/are-likes-and-followers-the-problem-with-social-media.html

dave w

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 02:38 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Another head scratcher.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't go with the medium.  It's an insane workaround.
The same could be, and is, said for inane sig lines and witticisms some think are humorous in messages.
Another reason I have never subscribed via email- either here at at Y* on near 30 groups of interest.

My only reason for reading this thread is the apparent banning of an inane feature, that, ostensibly does nothing to or for groups anyway. It massages an ego but you have to look for it on the site.

I've been waiting to see some effort to quantify likes- my own or others- as there's no other way to highlight useful/ efficient/ accurate information contained in or attached to messages, other than copying each and every piece of documentation/ text out to a separate dbase.

FWIW, contrarily,

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 02:56 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

I perpetually hold out the hope that the long awaited notification
overhaul will mitigate that problem.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708

Shal
If it takes long enough, we might also have to start worrying about Article 11 and Article 13. And an even newer wonderful idea has just come up as well. "Likes" may need to be handled based on user age and country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47933521

--
Gerald

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708
Another head scratcher.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't go with the medium.  It's an insane workaround.

I hate the Like function to begin with (and not only with regard to Groups.io) but it is, and always will be, a function that sprung up in online environments that it did because it's simple to see there and can be appreciated as part of a whole.

Others, of course, will differ.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian,

These sorts of requests still make me scratch my head, since if you
are e-mail only I still see no way to actually "view" likes ...
I perpetually hold out the hope that the long awaited notification overhaul will mitigate that problem.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708

Shal

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Shal,

        Thanks (sincerely).   These sorts of requests still make me scratch my head, since if you are e-mail only I still see no way to actually "view" likes and it seems diametrically opposed to an e-mail list.  (The previous is strictly my own impression - it is not an objection to the feature - I shall never make another one of those again as it is verboten.)

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian,

How does one "like by e-mail"?
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/8125#294

Shal

Fodder for the new tech writer. :-)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I don't see it either.

If you reply to a message with just a +1 or the word like, that message will not be sent to the group and instead you will like the message you're replying to.

Cheers,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I don't see it either.

If you reply to a message with just a +1 or the word like, that message will not be sent to the group and instead you will like the message you're replying to.

Cheers,
Mark

I don't see it either.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:43 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Yes, it also applies to email likes.
I could take this to Group_Help, and will if someone tells me it's too complicated to explain in a couple of lines:  How does one "like by e-mail"?

The thought had never occurred to me, and prior to here I had never even seen this mentioned.  Not that I'll be doing it, but I am curious as to how one likes a specific message in a specific topic by e-mail.   I see no link that would allow it (and I don't include View/Reply Online - which throws the user straight into the web interface).

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:43 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Yes, it also applies to email likes.
I could take this to Group_Help, and will if someone tells me it's too complicated to explain in a couple of lines:  How does one "like by e-mail"?

The thought had never occurred to me, and prior to here I had never even seen this mentioned.  Not that I'll be doing it, but I am curious as to how one likes a specific message in a specific topic by e-mail.   I see no link that would allow it (and I don't include View/Reply Online - which throws the user straight into the web interface).

              ~ Brian Vogel

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

Yes, it also applies to email likes.

Bob Bellizzi

sorry, allowing post lock likes and any changes is like revising history to suit self.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 09:06 AM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
It's another variation on the theme of history revision.
Do you mean "history revision," or "revision history"? The revision history of the feature certainly has had some back and forth, but that's not uncommon. After more experience, features are easier to evaluate.

Bob Bellizzi

It's another variation on the theme of history revision.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 08:57 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I didn’t know you could Like via email. Can you?
Neither did I, and if there's a God in heaven I hope you can't.   The potential for screwing that up is just so huge.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Here's that prior thread. Ironically, I (along with a couple of others) "Liked" the request. But that was before I experienced the frustration of allowing locked topics to still in effect be commented on (I've since "unliked" it, after I dug it up).
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/27292375

There was a request about six months ago to allow “thumb upping” on locked topics, which Mark then implemented. Previously, they were unallowed. I didn’t find, and don’t remember, anything about email Likes being a problem. I didn’t know you could Like via email. Can you?

On Apr 16, 2019, at 4:54 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

Duane

Mark,
Great! Thanks.