Topics

moderated "Likes" revisited

If we can't turn off Likes on a per-group basis, I'm requesting the ability to turn off Likes on specific messages within a group.

Either that, or restoring disablement of "Likes" on locked topics would also work.

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/15 02:08 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

If we can't turn off Likes on a per-group basis, I'm requesting the ability to turn off Likes on specific messages within a group.
Do you mean:
1. the user would turn it off when they post the message, or
2. the user should be allowed to turn it off later, or
3. the moderator would turn it off at some point in time, or
4. it would automatically be turned off if a certain hashtag is present

I'm not sure if #4 is possible, since AFAIU hashtags on non-first messages in a topic are not processed by the system (or: does adding a hashtag qualify something as a "new topic"?).

A question w.r.t. #1/#2 is whether there would be a mechanism for e-mail users to turn off likes on their messages, without having to visit the site.

Or, do you mean:
5. there would be a group setting (set by the moderator) like "after a message has reached X number of likes, disallow further likes" (or other conditions that work on a per group basis but which turn off likes on a per-message basis).

Samuel

None of the above, and I'm "officially" changing this request to "reinstitute disabling Likes on locked topics." A "Like" is a comment and I would like all comments on locked topics to be disabled.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:21 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would like all comments on locked topics to be disabled.
If "locked means locked" then no activity of any type should be permitted, period.  [Except unlocking, and we all know that's not "an activity" that's in the class asking to be forbidden.  I would also include the previously requested "ability for moderator/owner to post to locked topic" as not being forbidden, either.   Essentially nothing should be able to be altered except by those who have lock/unlock power.  Those people are the "Grand Poobahs" who control this to begin with.]

              ~ Brian Vogel

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 08:23 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
If "locked means locked" then no activity of any type should be permitted, period.
Yes. It's very frustrating to not be able to stop arguments, even by locking a topic. People can continue to register which side they're taking by a "Like". I almost resorted to removing an entire thread yesterday because it was the only way to stop it cold.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

This may need to be a topic of its own, or a featurerequest, but it's a side thought I have at the moment:   Does Groups.io have a "hide topic" function?

Several other sites (one of which I moderate on, others where I'm just a participant) definitely allow "managment" to hide, whether temporarily or permanently [their choice], an ongoing topic.   Most often it's done if there is some question whether a new or new-ish topic is permissible under the rules or to determine whether it's spam or not.  But these can be hidden, and unhidden, at will by those in charge.

There are many features of Groups.io that I don't know about because I've never needed to use them.  Finding details can also be challenging.

              ~ Brian Vogel

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:03 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
it's a side thought I have at the moment:   Does Groups.io have a "hide topic" function?
It's a good thought, but definitely a side topic. The topic I nearly resorted to removing was one that I actually wanted front and center in the group because of the information it contains. I didn't want to remove it but it began to seem like the only way. At one point I thought, "Ok, I'll just lock it," but then remembered that it was already locked.

Locked topics used to have Likes disabled here and then it was changed. I think the change was a mistake and it should be changed back to how it was.

Hi All,

I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it. The previous change dates to May 28, 2015. I couldn't find a message/topic asking for the original change.

Cheers,
Mark

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:06 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:03 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
it's a side thought I have at the moment:   Does Groups.io have a "hide topic" function?
It's a good thought, but definitely a side topic. The topic I nearly resorted to removing was one that I actually wanted front and center in the group because of the information it contains. I didn't want to remove it but it began to seem like the only way. At one point I thought, "Ok, I'll just lock it," but then remembered that it was already locked.

Locked topics used to have Likes disabled here and then it was changed. I think the change was a mistake and it should be changed back to how it was.

Mark,
Great! Thanks.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

Duane

There was a request about six months ago to allow “thumb upping” on locked topics, which Mark then implemented. Previously, they were unallowed. I didn’t find, and don’t remember, anything about email Likes being a problem. I didn’t know you could Like via email. Can you?

On Apr 16, 2019, at 4:54 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

Here's that prior thread. Ironically, I (along with a couple of others) "Liked" the request. But that was before I experienced the frustration of allowing locked topics to still in effect be commented on (I've since "unliked" it, after I dug it up).
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/27292375

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 08:57 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I didn’t know you could Like via email. Can you?
Neither did I, and if there's a God in heaven I hope you can't.   The potential for screwing that up is just so huge.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Bob Bellizzi

It's another variation on the theme of history revision.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 09:06 AM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
It's another variation on the theme of history revision.
Do you mean "history revision," or "revision history"? The revision history of the feature certainly has had some back and forth, but that's not uncommon. After more experience, features are easier to evaluate.

Bob Bellizzi

sorry, allowing post lock likes and any changes is like revising history to suit self.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed it so that if a topic is locked you cannot like any of the messages in it.
Does this also apply to email Likes?  I believe that was the problem before, in that you could still Like via email, but not online.

Yes, it also applies to email likes.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:43 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Yes, it also applies to email likes.
I could take this to Group_Help, and will if someone tells me it's too complicated to explain in a couple of lines:  How does one "like by e-mail"?

The thought had never occurred to me, and prior to here I had never even seen this mentioned.  Not that I'll be doing it, but I am curious as to how one likes a specific message in a specific topic by e-mail.   I see no link that would allow it (and I don't include View/Reply Online - which throws the user straight into the web interface).

              ~ Brian Vogel

I don't see it either.