Topics

moderated Search function for Member Directory #suggestion #done

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

As a moderator, if I go to the Members page under Admin (which allows the owner and moderators to see all of the group members) there is a search box at the top to allow me to search for a specific member.

The same function is not available on any Member Directory page, whether it's in a group on which I moderate or not.  When one wishes to find a member in a group with a huge membership pool, not having a search is a grand PITA.

It would be really nice to have exactly the same capability present in the Member Directory for members.

              ~ Brian Vogel

David Grimm

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
It would be really nice to have exactly the same capability present in the Member Directory for members.

On the other hand, since the Member Directory does not necessarily (and usually doesn't) have all the members listed, having a search function would be of limited value. If you are looking for a specific person and the search doesn't find them, does that mean they aren't a member or that they wish to maintain their privacy? I'm not sure that the benefit of this function would be worth the effort.

Dave

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

The phrase, "Better than nothing," springs immediately to mind.   It's known that members can have non-public profiles.  Being able to search the public ones is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.  Your mileage obviously varies.

I use searches in all sorts of places where the result is in no way guaranteed.   It's a heck of a lot easier than slogging through hundreds or thousands of entries by hand to find nothing.

This will be my last input on this request, as its merits are obvious to some and its impact is zero to anyone who doesn't care to use it.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Maria

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 01:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The phrase, "Better than nothing," springs immediately to mind.   It's known that members can have non-public profiles.  Being able to search the public ones is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.
Agree with this.
It would be good to have a search feature within the directory.
Since you can only see the directory if you have opted in to it yourself - it's obvious to all that the search results will be limited to those who have opted in to making their info viewable to other group members, to all, public etc.

Maria

Sarah k Alawami

Can you come up with a use case for this? An example mark or us might be able to see a justification for said idea?

On 15 Apr 2019, at 10:05, HR Tech via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 01:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The phrase, "Better than nothing," springs immediately to mind.   It's known that members can have non-public profiles.  Being able to search the public ones is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.
Agree with this.
It would be good to have a search feature within the directory.
Since you can only see the directory if you have opted in to it yourself - it's obvious to all that the search results will be limited to those who have opted in to making their info viewable to other group members, to all, public etc.

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Sarah,

            I don't know how a case that isn't obvious could be made, but I'll try.   You are a member, along with myself, on the NVDA group, which has 1116 members, according to its main page, linked to.  You are a moderator on some groups, and a member on others, so you will be able to see direct examples of both situations, depending on what group you're viewing at the moment via the web interface.

            If I, as moderator, go in to the moderators membership list, which is sorted by "date of member joining" most recent to oldest by default, and want to find you, I can type Alawami in the search box, click the button, and there is your profile and only your profile.   My only option for sort order change that I can see is reversing the date to oldest to newest, which would be useless with over 1000 members if I couldn't search for just one.

            Contrast that to what you encounter if you choose to view the Member Directory that's available to the membership at large instead.  On the NVDA member directory, (and this appears to be the same structure everywhere) your first page is a 3x20 grid of members, sorted alphabetically by display name, and only the first 9 pages are directly accessible via the navigation strip at the bottom.  Once you move up the pages the next page numbers come into view on that navigation strip.  In total, there are 18 pages, 17 of which contain the full count of 60 members who have visible profiles.   Do you really want to go sifting through that, page by page, if you're trying to locate a specific member's profile, regardless of the purpose?   I sure don't.

             It is completely conventional on every other forum I'm on to be able to search the entirety of the public member profiles, and the individual member decides the public/private status of their profile when setting up their account, and can change that at any time.

             I don't know of a single soul who's used any recent software who doesn't know that individual members have that option, and if they've exercised going with a private profile it's not going to show up in search results.  It can't.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Maria

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:42 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Can you come up with a use case for this? An example mark or us might be able to see a justification for said idea?

Sure. You go to an event that's organized in a group or subgroup you are subscribed to.
You meet someone and only recall their first name, and you would like to DM them to reconnect.
So you go to the directory and you have to look at potentially thousands of profiles to find that person.

If a member could search they'd just enter that person's first name and that would help reduce the profiles you have to look through to find that person.

Or

You go to an event, meet someone, and that person says: "Hey, I have to run, nice meeting you! DM me via the group directory and we can have a follow-up meeting"
You go to the Directory and see thousands of profiles and you can't search for that person's name. So you sit there and press click, click, click and thinking, "If only there were a way to search this directory like I do every other contact list I have on devices and computers".

Maria

James Dilworth

+1 on this suggestion.

We have a club with almost 1000 members. One of the most common questions I hear is 'How do I get hold of so and so....' - People regularly post to our whole list just to seek an email for someone. We want our members to be able to learn about, and contact each other.

The member directory looks like it has the potential to solve this, but seems to be held back by a couple big factors:

  1. It really needs to be opt-out, versus opt-in. Currently all users must edit their privacy settings to make it work. It's hard to ask the herd to go futz with their privacy settings just to even see the directory. As group owner, I'd like to be able to set the directory as open to all subscribers, and members can opt-out if they need too.

  2. The directory needs a search function. Currently, if there are 1000 members, you'd have to click through dozens of pages to get to Zena Doe or Zebbedee Wilkins.

This suggestion seems to have surface several times over the past year, but it seems to have been shot down by others who did not fully understand the ask. Here's a few screenshots of the opt-in problem to illustrate.

A member directory is really a key piece of our requirements for a system. It seems like you have all the pieces in place, and just need to make a few changes to bring out the power of this functionality.

FWIW, I had hoped the members list might be a workaround. That includes search, but it is clearly designed as an admin view of subscription status. Making the list visible opens the raw emails of individuals, while providing no means for them to opt-out at all. This is ripe for abuse by some randy old man.

Recognize there's a lot going on with the app. But this would be a very valuable feature for us, and I'd like to think others too. Thanks for considering.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 01:56 PM, James Dilworth wrote:
The member directory looks like it has the potential to solve this, but seems to be held back by a couple big factors:

  1. It really needs to be opt-out, versus opt-in
I'm extremely opposed to another opt-out situation.  There are enough of those in the world (that mostly don't work).  If anything, I'd suggest a group setting option for it, BUT the situation would need to made VERY clear to anyone considering joining such a group.

Duane

Michael Pavan

James,

On Jan 16, 2020, at 2:43 PM, James Dilworth <@jaymz> wrote:

The member directory looks like it has the potential to solve this, but seems to be held back by a couple big factors:

• It really needs to be opt-out, versus opt-in.
I'm against Opt-Out
Opt-Out is user-unfriendly, and frankly just rude (to say the least).

BTW, Hashtags and excess verbiage added to Calendar reminders should also be Opt-In, so that we aren't forced to use awkward workarounds to undo them.

• The directory needs a search function.
Agreed.

Michael

James Dilworth

No doubt, different communities have different needs.

A public mailing list in low trust, online topic would probably do better as it is now. Users want to remain anonymous unless they choose otherwise.

But when groups.io supports a closed, high trust, face to face community.... such as a local football league, yacht club, or in our case swimming club, members want to be able to contact each other. What's the point of having a member directory if everyone has to jump through hoops to use it?

What I'm asking is to allow the admin to choose whether the member directory should include all members by default. Sure, it won't be for every community, but it'd certainly be great for ours.

Thanks for your consideration! :)

Bill Hazel

I agree that a member search function is needed.

As far as the opt in/opt out debate, I would think that would be a group's decision.

The way I would handle it is to make the Owner/Administrator choose between an empty radio button choice. (No default selected)
If no choice was made, when saving the settings, the default would be opt out.
The reason I say empty would, I think, subconsciously make the Owner/Administrator at least think about it.

Each choice should be adequately defined since not everyone is a nerd.

Duane

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Bill Hazel wrote:
(No default selected)
If no choice was made, when saving the settings, the default would be opt out.
That doesn't make sense to me.  If there's no default, the default becomes opt-out?

Duane

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:27 AM, Bill Hazel wrote:
Each choice should be adequately defined since not everyone is a nerd.
LOL.