moderated email address from sender

Michael Cope <mcope@...>

I know the issue of hiding the FROM email address (although not the NAME) has been discussed before.  I know several folks have requested it.  No need to rehash all of that.

I know some have said this is impossible....can't be done....makes it not an email list...etc.

I submit it has already been done.  You have already done it  in order to make Groups.io compatible with DMARC.  You know HOW to do it and every DMARC compatible email list has to deal with changing the FROM email address...so it seems that it should be a small task to simply allow an option in the Subscription to let individual users hide their FROM address (but not their Name) and have whatever would work substituted in that field.  You already have a REPLY TO address so perhaps that will work ad the FROM email address field...but given DMARC something works and you already modify the FROM address when required by DMARC.

I have some who refuse to join the group entirely because they don't want their email address divulged...yes I know they are not divulged if accessed from the web but someone who wishes to endrun our group protocol of only directly emailing others with their explicit permission is smart enough to just read the emails and violate our courtesy rules.

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/13 06:32 PM, Michael Cope wrote:

...it should be a small task to simply allow an option in the Subscription to let individual users hide their FROM address (but not
their Name) and have whatever would work substituted in that field.
Well, if there is, then I think it should be substituted with something
that allows other members to contact the person privately.

Perhaps a URL to the person's profile page (where there is an "Email"
button). This would, however, require such users to set up a profile
page, and to then set that setting in their profile page settings. And
it would require that the profile visibility is set to "Other members of
your group" at least.

Groups.io does not have a "private message" feature yet, right?

Samuel

Michael Cope <mcope@...>

The point of the request is to PREVENT people from contacting the sender privately unless the sender has given permission such as by posting his email address in the body of whatever he posted. The problem being addressed is folks who violate the courtesy customs set up in the group (which of course could vary from group to group). In our group the rules are if you send a group message it goes to the group and if you want to send a private email to a willing participant do if off group . And in my view should really be at the discretion of the individual sender whether they are willing to accept private emails from everyone in the group....that makes it a subscription option.

Mike

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 05:42 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Groups.io does not have a "private message" feature yet, right?
It certainly does.   If you're using the e-mail interface, and the group was set up to allow private messages, there is a link at the end of every individual message, "Reply to Sender," that will prepopulate a blank e-mail message with the original message sender's address and the subject with "Private: " followed by the subject.  When reading on the web interface, the same thing is implemented via the "Private" button at the lower right under the compose area.

There's no truly simple way to PM a random group member directly via e-mail if you're not looking at a message from them, but it can still be done by going to the group's directory page, finding the member you wish to e-mail privately, and clicking the e-mail button associated with them (if they've allowed for it to be presented).

One cannot search the group directory, though, if there are a huge number of members (or at least I've not found the function).

              ~ Brian Vogel

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/14 06:28 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 05:42 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Groups.io does not have a "private message" feature yet, right?
It certainly does. ...there is a link at the end of every individual message, "Reply to Sender," that will prepopulate a blank e-mail message with the original message sender's address...
Actually I was referring to a feature found on some other forums whereby
you can send a private message to someone without knowing their e-mail
address. The recipient gets the private message in a "private message
inbox" tied to his profile page, and may get an e-mail notification
telling him that there is a message waiting for him.

Sending an e-mail with "Private" in the subject line isn't what I had in
mind when I said "private message" feature (but thanks for the reply).

Samuel

Dave Sergeant

On 14 Apr 2019 at 9:28, Brian Vogel wrote:

If you're using the e-mail interface, and the group was set up to allow
private messages, there is a link at the end of every individual
message, "Reply to Sender,"
Only in HTML mails, not in plain text if the group or user has
configured for plain text only. There used to be one there but it
disappeared a while back when Mark revised the footers.

I am a bit puzzled. In virtually all my groups members assume their
email addresses will appear in their postings and occasionally want to
reply to senders off list. Even DMARC does not hide the sender's
address, it just needs a bit of jiggery pokery to work it out. I for
one would request the sender's address is even more easy to find.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:43 PM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Actually I was referring to a feature found on some other forums whereby
you can send a private message to someone without knowing their e-mail
address.
And now I understand the distinction that you're trying to make.   That capability exists on Bleeping Computer and several other forums I haunt.  The big difference is that the entire communication (other than, perhaps, an e-mail notification that you have a private message) occurs strictly within the boundaries of that forum's PM component.

Groups.io does not, to my knowledge, have anything like that sort of PM mechanism.   I have to believe that this is at least in part because it is a hybrid between an e-mail list service and an online forum.

What follows is a general editorial comment that harks back to the beginning of this topic.   People need to be disabused of the notion that their e-mail addresses are in any way truly private.  Once you've been using an e-mail address for even a matter of days, I can guarantee you that if you check your spam folder you are already getting spam.  Once an e-mail address has been used to send e-mail, it is effectively not private.  And people who want to get it will end up getting it.  I have, though, been blessed by never having been on any e-mailing list where "off-list stalking/harrassment" occurred.   Even if I were, my advice would be to block the sender and, if the situation were to be serious enough, involve the authorities.   List owners and moderators cannot be held responsible for the actions of their individual members in real life.

              ~ Brian Vogel