Topics

moderated Do not enlarge small images #suggestion #bug

Samuel Murrayy

Hello

I've noticed in my group's photo folder, the images that form part of people's signatures are displayed enlarged in the list view, and extremely enlarged in single view. I'm confident that the original images were not this big.

When I click the Download button, it opens the image in its original size in the browser (which, I suppose, would be confusing to some newer computer users who would have expected to see a download dialog pop up, but that's another issue...)

I also uploaded a test image which is crisp and clear when viewed at the actual size (which is smaller than the browser screen), but when I view it on the Groups.io web site, it looks blurry because the system slightly enlarges it.

So: please don't enlarge images when displaying it in either the [thumbmail] list view or in the individual view.

(I'm using Opera with Blink rendering, by the way)

Samuel

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
I also uploaded a test image which is crisp and clear when viewed at the actual size (which is smaller than the browser screen), but when I view it on the Groups.io web site, it looks blurry because the system slightly enlarges it.
I would not have expected a "slight enlargement" to make an image look blurred. What are your Max Size In Photos Section and Max Size in Email Settings? A major reduction in the pixel count seems a might more likely explanation.

Chris

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/12 01:24 PM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
I also uploaded a test image which is crisp and clear when viewed at
the actual size (which is smaller than the browser screen), but when
I view it on the Groups.io web site, it looks blurry because the
system slightly enlarges it.
I would not have expected a "slight enlargement" to make an image look blurred.
It depends on the resizing method. My image resizing program (XnView) gives me an option of ten different resizing algorithms when increasing an image size, and they all produce different results.

Samuel

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM, I wrote:
What are your Max Size In Photos Section and Max Size in Email Settings? A major reduction in the pixel count seems a might more likely explanation.
And the answer to that question is..?

Also see Shal's post on GMF, where this thread ought to have been.

Chris

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/12 01:24 PM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:

What are your /Max Size In Photos Section/ and /Max Size in Email/ Settings?
I don't understand how these settings are relevant to my suggestion/bug report. The max size settings affect reducing image dimensions, but does not (or: should logically not) affect increasing image dimensions.

Image dimensions are reduced as soon as the "max size" threshold is reached. This is presumably for two reasons, namely (a) reduced dimensions are somewhat related to reduced file size, and (b) you might want to be able to see the entire image on your screen without using scroll bars (or without using them too much).

There are no good reasons that I can think of for increasing image dimensions. Increasing the image dimensions reduces image quality. The only people who might benefit from image dimension increases are (a) people who have bad eyesight and (b) people using small devices with high screen resolutions (e.g. smartphones).

Samuel