moderated Ability to add hashtags to file upload notifications #suggestion

Andy Wedge

As a group owner I'd like a simple method of adding hashtags to file upload notices.

Different file types may be of more interest to some members than others so having different hashtags and being able to mute them allows users to select which notifications they want to filter out.

The only way I can see of doing this at the moment is to:
  • Put myself on moderation
  • Upload a file and check the notify members option
  • Edit the pending notification message and add a hashtag (which could moderate or lock the notification message depending upon the hashtag settings).
  • Approve and send the file upload notification message.
  • Reset my moderation
This is a PITA to say the least so having having a hashtag option on the file upload dialog would be much easier and save time.

Andy

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/11 11:38 AM, Andy W wrote:

Different file types may be of more interest to some members than others so having different hashtags and being able to mute them allows users to select which notifications they want to filter out.
Do I understand correctly that you want either:

1. the option to auto-detect the file type referred to in an upload notification, and to then have a file type hashtag (e.g. #pdf, #docx, #gif) added to the upload notification

and/or

2. the option to auto-detect the file type of any attachment sent to the list, and then to them have a file type hashtag (e.g. #pdf, #docx, #gif) added to the subject line of that message

and...

do you want the activation of this feature to be a user setting or a group setting?

Samuel

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/11 12:09 PM, Samuel Murray wrote:

1. the option to auto-detect the file type referred to in an upload notification, and to then have a file type hashtag (e.g. #pdf, #docx, #gif) added to the upload notification
and/or
2. the option to auto-detect the file type of any attachment sent to the list, and then to them have a file type hashtag (e.g. #pdf, #docx, #gif) added to the subject line of that message
Or, do you want the hashtag to be something customizable, triggered by the file type (e.g. if PDF then add #lookhere, if DOCX then #swimaway, if GIF then #heycomeseethisanimation).

Samuel

Andy Wedge

Hi Samuel,

I hadn't considered any kind of auto-detect feature but that is not on my radar.  I'm just thinking that anyone who has permission to upload files has the ability to add a hashtag to the subject line of the notification messages.  A users' ability to upload is controlled by group permissions and I am not suggesting any changes there.

Andy

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/11 12:13 PM, Andy W wrote:

I'm just thinking that anyone who has permission to upload files [should have] the ability to add a hashtag to the subject line of the notification messages.  A users' ability to upload is controlled by group permissions and I am not suggesting any changes there.
Aaah, I see.

Do you think a user who uploads a file should be allowed to set only hashtags, or should he be allowed to add anything to the subject line that he feels is relevant (including, if he chooses, hashtags)?

Samuel

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Do you think a user who uploads a file should be allowed to set only hashtags, or should he be allowed to add anything to the subject line that he feels is relevant (including, if he chooses, hashtags)?
I am not envisioning any changes to hashtag permissions either.  If a user has the ability to upload a file and also use hashtags (either existing ones or creating new ones) then an option to add those on the file upload dialog (in the same manner as when starting a new topic) would be helpful.

Regards,
Andy

Duane

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 04:38 AM, Andy W wrote:
The only way I can see of doing this at the moment is to:
  • Put myself on moderation
  • Upload a file and check the notify members option
  • Edit the pending notification message and add a hashtag (which could moderate or lock the notification message depending upon the hashtag settings).
  • Approve and send the file upload notification message.
  • Reset my moderation
This is a PITA to say the least so having having a hashtag option on the file upload dialog would be much easier and save time.
Perhaps requiring (optionally) all 'file uploaded' messages to be moderated to add the hashtag would be easier?  It would still be some work for moderators and probably wouldn't solve your problem of the posts going into the same thread if several files needing the same hashtag were uploaded in a short time.  Maybe if all notifications of this type could be forced to start a new topic?

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 01:00 PM, Duane wrote:
probably wouldn't solve your problem of the posts going into the same thread if several files needing the same hashtag were uploaded in a short time.  Maybe if all notifications of this type could be forced to start a new topic?
Yes, I think there are two different but related issues here.  One,that multiple file uploads get merged to the same thread (if they fall within the 2 day window of the threading algorithm) and two,the files that are uploaded could be completely unrelated to each other and therefore of more interest to some members than others.

As I mentioned on GMF, adding a filename to the subject of the notification message may make it more unique and limit the chance of threading but some filenames may be long and that may impact the display of the message subject on some mobile devices where screen real estate is at a premium.

Forcing each file upload notification to be a new topic would obviously stop the threading process but would prevent members being able to mute those notifications as each topic would have a different  number that the muting process relies on. The ability to add a hashtag would certainly give members more control over which notifications they receive.

I think I also have to correct myself regarding the steps I proposed in being able to add a hashtag where I said I put myself on moderation. When doing some initial testing I think I must have put myself on moderation and also moderated an existing upload notification message. I could therefore edit a subsequent pending notice before it went to the group.  I've just done another test and despite the fact that I had moderated myself, that setting was ignored a new upload notice was sent anyway.

Andy