Topics

moderated Why isn't there a "don't like" option, in addition to the "like" option?

eom

Downvotes tend to cause arguments. So a "Dislike" option is yet another feature where I would ask, if it's ever provided, that there be a way for a group to disable it.

JohnF

Marv Waschke

I'll go even farther. The groups I work with go a long way to encourage people to express their thoughts on the subjects under discussion. The moderators try hard to express appreciation for everyone who takes the trouble to comment and soothe ruffled feathers when someone's opinion is put down, which is not the same as disagreement. The result is a pleasant experience for all. When someone goes rogue, there are many tools: outright bans, placing on moderation, private emails, public replies, and silence all have their place.

I would not welcome a "dislike" option because it would make it easy to put someone down without explaining why. I see "dislikes" making moderation more difficult for groups that I enjoy.
Best, Marv

The suggestion for an option to disable even the "Like" button has been suggested (by me) (and, ironically, was "Liked" by some people).
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/28717248#19180

Even "Likes" can contribute to contentiousness.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I said elsewhere that were I given a choice, the "Like" button would itself be discontinued.

Groups.io is about as far from social media as I can imagine online these days, and upvote (like) and downvote (dislike) buttons scream social media or newspaper comments sections to me (and many of the latter dropped both a long time ago).

I find them to be the equivalent of "Me too!!" messages, but with a "direction."   I've never found this sort of content serves any useful purpose to the membership at large.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Well, now that we are off the original topic, I would like to rebut the "unlike for like".

I do find the "Like" handy for when I agree with someone, or like the joke they are telling, but I don't want to have to make a "me too" post.

So, who should have the choice as to whether or not Like and/or Unlike is allowed in a Group? Should it be the Group owner or the subscribers? Or should this be enforced site-wide?

--
Gerald

Bob Bellizzi

I can see the rational use of Like and Don't Like in relation to the way a feature operates, the lack or or the plethora of color in an abstract art piece as well as two heads in place of feet in same.

When Mark proposes or implements a new feature, shorthand opinions have great merit for his overly busy days.
A quick scan of Beta's Like/Don't Like tagging for a feature would give him a quick read.  Then, as chief of all at groups.io he could expand his understanding of both by reading appropriate messages from the Likers/Dislikers or even elicit opinions from them if he's of a mind.  In short, a quick survey  of opinions might be helpful in this case.

But to allow free use of like/dislike to any message is to question not only the content but to possibly cause the author of the (unliked) message to question what they did wrong, and/or a plethora of other questions about what/why was not liked.  More timid souls would likely be totally silenced.  (no chance of finding me in that last category)
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®