moderated (Groups.io) Feed; a Possible Limitation

Chris Jones

Having looked a bit more at the Feed page I find myself wondering if there is an inherent limitation as it currently stands; I have started a new topic rather than bolt this on to a thread that is already enormously long.

Each of an Account Holder's groups shows "Active Topics", and it looks as though "Active" is defined as those 5 topics to which posts have been sent most recently. An effect of this is to push a perhaps busy topic down the list to the point where it falls off the bottom purely on the basis that there have been posts to 5 other topics since the "busy" one received a post.

Any Subscriber working solely from the Feed might easily miss what is still an active topic because it has been pushed off the bottom of the list; OK it might pop up again sometime later, but again it may not. In the meantime unless our specimen subscriber goes to Topics view the posts to the "busy" topic risk not being seen.

I know that there has to be a cut - off for inclusion in the Active Topics list, but I wonder if 5 is the correct number. My own preferred starting point is the My Groups list, and a quick glance at the times visible on that page, along with the times for the most recent posting on any topic on any given group tells me where to look for anything new. As currently formatted the Feed page may mislead subscribers into believing that the lists presented there are all they need to catch up since they last visited, and that may very well not be true.

In case anyone is wondering I must stress that I am not arguing against the existence of the Feed page, merely querying if the limit of 5 Active Topics is necessarily appropriate or if it is potentially misleading.

Chris

That's a really good point, and something that had been unconsciously bothering me. I know there are a few really active topics in my group that have failed to appear. I don't know what the solution is.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 03:16 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I don't know what the solution is.
In truth neither do I!

One option might be to increase the number of "Active" topics listed, although the cut - off point will still be a bit arbitrary; on the face of it 10 doesn't seem excessive but it would have the downside of making the Feed page that much longer.

A second option might be to change the title Active Topics to 5 Most Recent Posts; the more I think about it the more I like that, although it might be a bit too subtle for subscribers to realise that there might be more if they take the trouble to look.

Chris

Or the user could customize that number.

The real issue, I think, is that this feed is not a real feed. A real feed is infinite. This page might be more aptly titled ‘recent activity.’

On Mar 28, 2019, at 9:28 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 03:16 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I don't know what the solution is.
In truth neither do I!

One option might be to increase the number of "Active" topics listed, although the cut - off point will still be a bit arbitrary; on the face of it 10 doesn't seem excessive but it would have the downside of making the Feed page that much longer.

A second option might be to change the title Active Topics to 5 Most Recent Posts; the more I think about it the more I like that, although it might be a bit too subtle for subscribers to realise that there might be more if they take the trouble to look.

Chris

Chris,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 8:14 AM Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Any Subscriber working solely from the Feed might easily miss what is still an active topic because it has been pushed off the bottom of the list; OK it might pop up again sometime later, but again it may not. In the meantime unless our specimen subscriber goes to Topics view the posts to the "busy" topic risk not being seen.

Perhaps you are arguing for an augmented version of the All Topics display instead?

I would favor an augmented version but only if the increased number is user-customizable by group. Otherwise, the problem of having to scroll through a large area for a group or groups one may have little interest in only gets worse.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:42 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Perhaps you are arguing for an augmented version of the All Topics display instead?

Is that a reference to the View All option? I'm not sure how you would augment it; I am just thinking about something (anything?) that would advise users that the Active Topic list might well not be the full story.

Chris

KWKloeber

<<This page might be more aptly titled ‘recent activity.’>>

ya, that change is what I had previously suggested!!

The obvious answer, though maybe impractical or impossible, is for the feed to display whatever has occurred since the individual USER last loooked at the feed page and/or last opened the most recent msg in a displayed topic.

Da puppy IS trained -to pee where it wants to. LOL.
excuse the preposition.

Sharon Villines

I frequently advise my members about what features are useful and which might be confusing.

This also brings up a discussion of features that they were unaware of and would like to use.

The feed might be more useful in a workplace setting where one has to keep up with discussions on various subgroups.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.” — Walt Kelly