Topics

moderated Maintain Defaults Whenever Practical #suggestion

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 08:14 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
it almost seems that users are not aware that the initial landing page is still there
Very good point. It still being there is not what saves this situation, though. It's that it's still there but clickless - in other words, as you say here:

You will now only go to the Feed page if you specifically choose to go there.
That was not the case prior to the change..

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

By all of the "hate" comments, it almost seems that users are not aware that the initial landing page is still there and has not been changed or removed. This is just a new view, feel free not to use it.

If you found yourself apparently stuck on the Feed view, click on the "Your Groups" choice on the left side of the page and you are back to the safety of the previous landing page. You will now only go to the Feed page if you specifically choose to go there.

--
Gerald

LOL! Train that puppy.

Ro

im sorry but my new dog just peed in the house and that has to take priority over a long discussion.  Although he is of course interested in all feed issues.  But he aint the boss of me,,,,,,yet.

Ro

Maria

I am curious:

Ro: What specifically do you not like about it?
What feed pages do you like? Can you give examples of feed pages you check regularly and what you like about them?
What do you feel the goal of a feed page ought to be?

Leeni: What do you like about the feed page on Fotki or other platforms you use that have feed pages?

To those who do not enjoy the feed page, obviously by now you know you don't have to use it, it's not a replacement for anything - it's an addition.
But I am curious: what feed pages DO you enjoy and regularly refer to? What do you feel a feed page should accomplish and feature in a site where content is user generated?

Maybe this belongs in a new topic where we can share constructive criticism to make this new feature even better.
And if you don't believe in the purpose of feeds at all, or don't want one, don't use any other sites that have them, or feel they are necessary - that's kind of a different story?

Maria

Ro

At the risk of being given a time out, I have to say I absolutely detest the new "landing/feed" page.  No one I know of has ever complained about the previous version.   If I need a landing, I will call NASA.     Yeah, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Ro

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 07:45 PM, Leeni wrote:
Fotki doesn't have free accounts. They are all paid accounts.
That's correct. I was looking at an obsolete source. My point was that just because some other website/social network does something doesn't mean that groups.io should copy it.

I have no problem with other people voicing their opinions and I'm sorry you feel that way.

I'm pretty much done here as well.

Leeni

Surprise you don't know everything.
Fotki doesn't have free accounts. They are all paid accounts.

By the way - it seems everyone else's opinions can't be made.
Yours are the only ones that count.
I am done - put a fork in me

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 07:23 PM, Leeni wrote:
It is the way of the future.
They also have ads on their free accounts. Should groups.io do that, too?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 07:23 PM, Leeni wrote:
It is the way of the future.
They also have ads on their free accounts. Should groups.io do that, too?

Leeni

It is the way of the future.
So far I only had to look at the feed page once.
I can go to all the groups I am in without even viewing the feed page unless I want to.
Your apology is accepted.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 06:23 PM, Jeremy H wrote:
Not something I feel really useful, or usable.
Nobody I know from my groups, including other moderators, likes the feed. I've heard comments ranging from "I don't find it useful" to "I detest it." (These are off-beta comments.) I've put out a message to my main group about the change (I've called it the "new look," without judgment) about how to revert to the previous home page for people who are in a lot of groups or who prefer the "old look." I have not yet taken any sort of poll, formal or informal, of my group members because we/they now have a way around it. But everything I've confirms my initial strong negative impression of this page. As Jeremy says, I think providing even minimal customization could really turn that around.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 06:23 PM, Jeremy H wrote:
Not something I feel really useful, or usable.
Nobody I know from my groups, including other moderators, likes the feed. I've heard comments ranging from "I don't find it useful" to "I detest it." (These are off-beta comments.) I've put out a message to my main group about the change (I've called it the "new look," without judgment) about how to revert to the previous home page for people who are in a lot of groups or who prefer the "old look." I have not yet taken any sort of poll, formal or informal, of my group members because we/they now have a way around it. But everything I've confirms my initial strong negative impression of this page. As Jeremy says, I think providing even minimal customization could really turn that around.

Jeremy H

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:21 PM, HR Tech wrote:
The function of the feed is to provide a feed of recent activity, the form it's presented in does that. I don't see distractions or frills in the feed.
It's quite minimalist actually. Shows us: active topics/new - upcoming events/ new files/ new photos/new subgroups/new chats/ and only shows them if they actually have new content.
But - in it's current form, which is rigidly divided by group - it doesn't do that in way - unless you're only in one group (and AIUI we are all (also) in the Updates group, are there any such people?).

As it is, it is a partial list of your groups (only those with recent activity!), showing their description and recent activity (which may be the last few actions, or may go back a month), so rather long - to go to other groups you may have to scroll a long way - and organised by last activity time (so, when that was yesterday or earlier, on an apparently random basis). Not something I feel really useful, or usable.

If redone to give an overall view, across groups of "active topics/new - upcoming events/ new files/ new photos/new subgroups/new chats/ ", and with the ability to tailor to show what we want - and not we don't - then, yes I can see it being be very useful.

Jeremy

Maria

Hi Shal

This is probably worth it's own separate thread, but I think it's more useful if I see how it all feels in a week. As with any interface change/IOS change/ phone change - it may be that in a week I'm totally used to the way it is. Not sure right now.

I use mobile web / apps a lot, so, I also need to contextualize it to that experience when there isn't a mouse/desktop present, and time/dexterity is even more limited. I also need to think about it in terms of what is relevant to me as an admin and irrelevant to members. Members are not constantly checking to see what pending stuff they need to deal with. It's a different set of priorities for them. Perhaps it's simply an admin specific area needed. But will stop there.

Maria

Maria,

Maybe we simply need the Your Groups button no matter where we are on
the site - we used to use the LOGO.
Interesting idea.

One possibility would be to make it the top entry in the Your Groups drop-list. That's still two clicks though.

I don't think I want it below the Logo bar when visiting a group's pages; currently everything below the bar (and above the footer) is group-specific when visiting a group's pages, and I think that's a good design choice.

Shal

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:21 AM, HR Tech wrote:
Beauty is the harmony of function and form -  Alvar Aalto
Function influence but does not dictate form - Eero Saarinen
Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union.- Frank Lloyd Wright
Form and function are a unity, two sides of one coin. In order to enhance function, appropriate form must exist or be created - Ida Rolf
Form Ever Follows Function - Louis Henry Sullivan
Agreed, especially the last.