Topics

moderated Feed view now the default

Jeremy,

It's on the pale grey bar, near the top (but below the blue logo bar, with the Your Groups drop-list), that is above the main page contents. For Topics and Hashtag views, what I see is 'Your Groups' (with icon) - in blue and under-lined, so a link, hovering on which shows it as to https://groups.io - and is followed by (in black) name/description of view (All topics, #Muted Hashtags, etc.).

Oh, I thought you were talking about Topics and Hashtags within a group's pages:

Screenshot of
          top left Topics page in beta group

I couldn't imagine why you would see something different in the breadcrumb (pale grey) bar. But you were talking about home pages:

Screenshot of
          upper left corner of home page topics

So now I get it. Yes, that link text is misleading because the URL is to the home page, whichever one you currently see. I think that qualifies as a bug worthy of report to support@groups.io.

Shal

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 05:37 PM, Jeremy H wrote:
Clicking it now seems to be consistently taking me to the 'All topics' view;

Being taken to "all topics" after clicking on either groups.io or "your groups" happened to me once and then stopped. I don't remember what I was doing before that but I know I was not in Topics or Hashtags view. I can't be more specific, but we have in common the phenomenon of being taken to "all topics" when the expectation was to be taken to the groups list. So if this happens again I'll try to be more observant about what happened before that.

Jeremy H

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 03:14 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Jeremy,

But unfortunately not the - presumably related - issue of the 'Your Groups' link at the top of Topics and Hashtags views, which now seems to have rather random effects as to where you go:

What Your Groups link? I'm not seeing any such on the Topics or Hashtag views.

Unless you mean the Your Groups drop-list in the logo bar. I've not seen any misbehavior with it. But then I almost always use it to pick a specific group. Until yesterday I'd quite forgotten it has a Manage My Subscriptions item at the bottom. Is that what you mean? If it was broken it seems now to be fixed.

Shal

It's on the pale grey bar, near the top (but below the blue logo bar, with the Your Groups drop-list), that is above the main page contents. For Topics and Hashtag views, what I see is 'Your Groups' (with icon) - in blue and under-lined, so a link, hovering on which shows it as to https://groups.io - and is followed by (in black) name/description of view (All topics, #Muted Hashtags, etc.). Clicking it now seems to be consistently taking me to the 'All topics' view; but this is not where I expect to go: the 'Your Groups' page. For that I have to click on 'Your groups' in the left hand menu column (same words, same logo, but different destination). For the Groups, Feed and Calendar views, it's not present - at that place is 'Your ~', in black as non-link view name.

Jeremy

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Oops...

"- If you visit Muted or Followed Topics, we don't change your remembered home page."

--
Gerald

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

It seemed sort of random, but now it seems that it may just be that Hashtag is not remembered as a last Homepage

Click on main Groups icon
Select Topics/All     .....  The view is "Your Groups / All topics"
Select Hashtag/Muted ... The view is "Your Groups / #Muted Hashtags"
Click on main Groups icon  ... Goes back to  "Your Groups / All topics"

--
Gerald

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:28 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I did just make two changes.

- If you visit Muted or Followed Topics, we don't change your remembered home page.
Mark, I think that was probably the issue in my instance of this. I did not explicitly visit Followed Topics but I had to click on a "confirm" page to unfollow a topic, which may have somehow been part of that page.

Hi All,

I'm not able to reproduce any issues with this. If you see something, please send a message to support with the steps to recreate.

I did just make two changes.

- If you visit Muted or Followed Topics, we don't change your remembered home page.
- We now remember the calendar page and return to that if it's the last 'home' page you visited.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 01:35 AM, Jeremy H wrote:
issue of the 'Your Groups' link at the top of Topics and Hashtags views, which now seems to have rather random effects as to where you go:
And not only the one from the top of Topics and Hashtags views. I was once taken to my list of topics (i.e.,in  all groups), which I had not visited in recent, or even semi-recent, memory, after clicking on groups.io at the top. I'm guessing that possibly it was because some time before that I "unfollowed" a topic from another group (from email) and was taken to the confirmation page for unfollowing it, which may be (implicitly) part of the "all topics" page internally? Just a guess. But it was disconcerting. Since next time it took me to the right place, I would not have mentioned it if you had not brought up a similar concern here.

Maria

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:35 AM, Jeremy H wrote:
But unfortunately not the - presumably related - issue of the 'Your Groups' link at the top of Topics and Hashtags views, which now seems to have rather random effects as to where you go: I suspect it is actually coded to take you to the remembered/default 'home page', rather than 'Your Groups' as it states.
Just as a data point, I have not noticed any odd behavior. If I click on the "Your Groups" navigation tab ( second from top) on the left hand side of desktop browser view when on https://groups.io I get the behavior I would expect and that is the "Your Groups" page and never anything else.  It seems to be working as it should for me. Maybe it was fixed, but didn't notice this yesterday and I played around with it a lot.

Maria

Jeremy H

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

I've made the following change: we now remember which 'home page' you were last on, whether that's the Feed page, the Groups page, or the Topics page, and we return to that page the next time you go to https://groups.io (or click on the logo). Also, I've fixed the column sorting issue with the Groups page.

But unfortunately not the - presumably related - issue of the 'Your Groups' link at the top of Topics and Hashtags views, which now seems to have rather random effects as to where you go: I suspect it is actually coded to take you to the remembered/default 'home page', rather than 'Your Groups' as it states.

Jeremy

Bill Burns <ftldny@...>

On 3/26/2019 1:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:14 AM, Ken Schweizer wrote:
/I would like to suggest that a message to the owners stating the
change and date to be implemented before a major change is rolled
out to all groups so that we can warn our members./
Agree, definitely need this in the future.
Just like Yahoo always used to do! :-)

--
Bill

Sharon Villines

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 01:14 PM, Ken Schweizer wrote:
I would like to suggest that a message to the owners stating the change and date to be implemented before a major change is rolled out to all groups so that we can warn our members.
I find that for most people reading email is an automatic thing that they don’t think about until they sign on and find changes. Telling them in advance can be confusing because they can’t see what I’m talking about, and it just triggers more questions — usually that I can’t answer. It also puts them in the position of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Once there is a change, I can send a screenshot which is much clearer. When people started talking about a feed, I was thinking in terms of one feed with all the recent messages, for example, and had lots of questions.

As soon as the change is implemented I can explain and attach a screen shot.

I do appreciate it that the previous choice is still there. When one has 30 groups the feed is really overwhelming and not very useful, but I can see how some would like it.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Behavior is determined by the prevailing form of decision making." Gerard Endenburg

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:14 AM, Ken Schweizer wrote:
I would like to suggest that a message to the owners stating the change and date to be implemented before a major change is rolled out to all groups so that we can warn our members.
Agree, definitely need this in the future.

Thanks, Mark. That's a big start.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 01:14 PM, Ken Schweizer wrote:

I would like to suggest that a message to the owners stating the change and date to be implemented before a major change is rolled out to all groups so that we can warn our members.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

I would have thought so as well. In fact, when I knew it was coming out, I did let my group members know about it in advance. Turns out that was a bad idea. When it did show up along with the Group page redirected, they came after the messenger (me) with their arrows.

--
Gerald

Hi All,

I've made the following change: we now remember which 'home page' you were last on, whether that's the Feed page, the Groups page, or the Topics page, and we return to that page the next time you go to https://groups.io (or click on the logo). Also, I've fixed the column sorting issue with the Groups page.

Ken Schweizer

Hi Mark,

After looking at this for a bit I see the change as an moderate issue for our members, although maybe not for owners and moderators who are reading this feed.

I would like to suggest that a message to the owners stating the change and date to be implemented before a major change is rolled out to all groups so that we can warn our members.

Thanks,

Ken

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ―Chuck Yeager