Topics

moderated Feed view now the default

Hi All,

After a bunch of tweaking of the feed view, I've now made it the view you get when you go to https://groups.io and are logged in. The previous view of your subscribed groups, is now at /groups.

Mark,

I can't get to the /groups (the "groups.io is down" and cats pictures come up).

The feed view looks great at first glance, but as implemented, it is very inconvenient for me because it's ordered by latest activity rather than by something else (e.g., groups I'm an owner or mod in, or my own choice of ordering). I'm seeing groups I rarely participate in appear higher up than ones I use all the time, just because those groups are more active. I will not want to use it as is. Could the order of the display be rethought, or could there be some options?

Are you going to https://groups.io/groups ? I can't duplicate the problem.

The feed view looks great at first glance, but as implemented, it is very inconvenient for me because it's ordered by latest activity rather than by something else (e.g., groups I'm an owner or mod in, or my own choice of ordering). I'm seeing groups I rarely participate in appear higher up than ones I use all the time, just because those groups are more active. I will not want to use it as is. Could the order of the display be rethought, or could there be some options?

You can jump to any group quickly by using the Your Groups dropdown. The idea of a newsfeed is to show latest activity first. I'm not sure how to address your issue.

Dave Sergeant

/groups works fine here (clicking on my groups from the feed).

Might I suggest those groups where I have chosen 'special notices'
should be moved to the bottom of the listing.

I suspect I will default to looking at /groups, when I visit it is to
do moderation and I want to go straight to a specific group. Messages
go to my email, I don't often need to view them via the web.

Thanks anyway.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I can't duplicate the problem.
Yes, I was going there, but it's working fine now.

You can jump to any group quickly by using the Your Groups dropdown.
I can't say I'm ecstatic about this but I can get used to it. I REALLY dislike the order.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:15 PM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
Might I suggest those groups where I have chosen 'special notices'
should be moved to the bottom of the listing.
That's one idea. OTOH, the groups where I'm special notice may be the ones I want to see first in the list, because I'm going to use the website to access them more than ones for which I get email. I think there really need to be some options here. I'd prefer seeing the ones where I'm a moderator/owner at the top.

I can live with the order. But worse now is that clicking on the group takes you to the home page. Clicking on the group from other avenues, and the previous way, took you to the messages list. Is there no way to go to the messages list from the feed?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:44 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Is there no way to go to the messages list from the feed?
Did you try View All at the top right of each group, to the right of Active Topics?

Duane

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:44 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I can live with the order.
No, I can't! I take it back. The real problem is that it keeps jumping around, based on activity. I care about having a consistent view from which I can easily access my groups based on habits. I don't want to have to hunt through a constantly changing ordered list for them! I don't really care one whit about seeing the group with the most recent activity at the top. Mark, I think you said this is now the default view. Is there some way an account can change it from the default, permanently? I am probably missing something.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:53 PM, Duane wrote:
Did you try View All at the top right of each group, to the right of Active Topics?
That works, thanks. I'm really upset about this Feed view thing. I don't know why.....I really HATE it.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:55 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm really upset about this Feed view thing. I don't know why.....I really HATE it.
I played with it a bit, but prefer the old page, so I created a bookmark for https://groups.io/groups and use it to get to the same place in Groups.io that I used to.

Duane

Thanks, Duane, I had a feeling the only fix for this was using a bookmark. I wish it were otherwise.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:59 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:55 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm really upset about this Feed view thing. I don't know why.....I really HATE it.
I played with it a bit, but prefer the old page, so I created a bookmark for https://groups.io/groups and use it to get to the same place in Groups.io that I used to.

I'm tempted to create a poll here to see how many people actually prefer this new feed view thingy.

Leeni

It isn't bad -

Everything else is the same for the groups.
You can choose the Feed view if you want to
You don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

Leeni

From: J_Catlady
Date: 3/25/2019 5:02:17 PM

I'm tempted to create a poll here to see how many people actually prefer this new feed view thingy.

I’m not enjoying seeing activity in groups I have minimal interest in. And groups I want to see are now moving targets.

On Mar 25, 2019, at 3:44 PM, HR Tech via Groups.Io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

[...]

Barbara Byers

I agree, I like it.  It's only one extra click to go to the /groups view.  Very nice!

Barb

On 2019-03-25 06:44 PM, HR Tech via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

I'm suggesting an account option "order feed by activity" or "order feed by alphabetical order."

KWKloeber

Instead of clicking in the group Just use the pull down- takes you the list, not to your home page.  Yuck but I can deal with it.  No big deal.