moderated search suggestion - first posts of all new topics

Sometimes I'd like to see all the new topics that were started recently, or during a certain time interval. To that end, it would be helpful to be able to do a search that returns just the first messages of all topics, in chrono order.  So the suggestion is to include in search tools exclusion of all messages beginning with "Re:"  There are probably other ways to describe/implement this in the search tools, but that's the way that occurs to me.

Donald Hellen

J_Catlady . . .

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 22:39:22 -0700, "J_Catlady"
<j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

it would be helpful to be able to do a search that returns just the first messages of all topics, in chrono order. So the suggestion is to include in search tools exclusion of all messages beginning with "Re:"
That would make searching for a topic much easier instead of having to
sort through many messages all on the same topic, then another topic,
then another topic, and in the current search function, these would no
doubt be mixed in with others (in chronological order). It would take
a while to find the one you want. I think you can do this with Yahoo
groups if you use PG Offline and an advanced Boolean search using
"re:" for the NOT term. I've never thought of using that in PGO.

Maybe once you open the a post in the search list (which woudl be the
first post in that thread), then you could see all posts in that
thread listed, and a way to go back to the search would be part of
this function.

Donald

Join the Icom group, a general Icom discussion group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (just launched)

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

What is wrong with the existing Tools > Collapse Topics?

--
Gerald

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/03/25 01:37 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:

What is wrong with the existing Tools > Collapse Topics?
"Collapse Topics" remove the non-first posts from view only if those posts do not contain the search term. You currently can't search for a term that occurs in the first post of a topic. If the term occurs in the second post only, then the topic is shown as a match. AFAICS.

Samuel

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:37 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
What is wrong with the existing Tools > Collapse Topics?
That does not even resemble what I'm asking for. First, I'm not doing a search on any search term (although you could add that). Second, I want to see all *new* (as in *recent*) topics. Any current view of topics shows topics with the latest *activity*. Not topics that were recently created.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:04 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not topics that were recently created.
EDIT: It does not show only topics that were recently created, which is what I'm requesting. Topics view or collapse topics may show 20 or 100 topics with recent activity above one or two new ones, if the activity on those 20 or 100 occurred after creation of the two new ones.

This could (I think) easily be implemented by excluding all posts starting with "Re" and the tool could be called "new topics only". Or something like that.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:48 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
You currently can't search for a term that occurs in the first post of a topic.
That's very true, but I don't care much (or at all) about searching within the first posts of topics. I just care about finding them. However, my request, if implemented, would also make it easy to search within them.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:39 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Sometimes I'd like to see all the new topics that were started recently, or during a certain time interval.
I'm already zero for one this morning in making suggestions for suggestions, but isn't what you are asking for the "Topics" view?

I suppose specific checkboxes for searching "First post" and Subject Line" only options could be useful. On the other hand, the "-" or NOT idea would be an excellent improvement in general, but I think the "Search" improvement project is already on Mark's list.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:26 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
isn't what you are asking for the "Topics" view
No, I already explained why it's not and gave an example. But I do like your idea of calling it "First posts only." Now you're not zero for one any more. :)

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:04 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not topics that were recently created.
EDIT: It does not show only topics that were recently created, which is what I'm requesting. Topics view or collapse topics may show 20 or 100 topics with recent activity above one or two new ones, if the activity on those 20 or 100 occurred after creation of the two new ones.

We crossed posts here as I had a couple of short internet outages. Now that you've explained it, I do see that behavior. As you can probably tell, I hardly ever venture into Topics view.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:10 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
As you can probably tell, I hardly ever venture into Topics view.
I would never venture into it either, except that groups.io pushes it on me by refusing to remember my last view. :)

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
groups.io pushes it on me by refusing to remember my last view.
If that's the case, you should report the bug to support.  I have no trouble with it remember which view I last used.

Duane

Duane, I think we've been through this, and everybody always advises me to make my browser remember it, bla bla. In this case, I seem to be one of those naive users. Groups.io seems to remember in some of my groups but not others, seemingly randomly, and I've just gotten used to it. I will gladly report this as a bug if someone can assure me that it is actually one and not a missing feature. Thanks.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 8:57 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
groups.io pushes it on me by refusing to remember my last view.
If that's the case, you should report the bug to support.  I have no trouble with it remember which view I last used.

ro-esp

A computer can't handle the notion " recently" , but having an option to see all messages or just the starts of threads *after a specified date* seems very practical to me - like when you've been away on vacation or something.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Thanks for that explanation of what a computer can and can’t do. The term ‘recently’ refers to my subjective desire to assess what’s been happening in my group recently, as a rationale for the requested feature. It does not refer to the requested feature itself. The requested feature is the ability to produce a list of all first messages of all topics, in chrono order.

On Mar 25, 2019, at 9:40 AM, ro-esp <ro-esp@dds.nl> wrote:

A computer can't handle the notion " recently" , but having an option to see all messages or just the starts of threads *after a specified date* seems very practical to me - like when you've been away on vacation or something.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:08 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The requested feature is the ability to produce a list of all first messages of all topics, in chrono order.
Unless I have grossly misunderstood what is being requested, the capability exists now, almost hidden in plain sight.

If I go to a Group (web UI) on which there have been numerous posts since I last visited those Topics that I have not read at all, i,e, the new ones will show the Topic Title in a pale blue colour. If I "expand" that Topic to read through it then when I return to Topics view then the Topic Title will have changed to a pale grey.

However, if a Topic that I have already looked at receives a new post, the "grey" does not revert to "blue", so even if the additions to an existing Topic are more recent than the start of a new Topic and thus appear "above it" in Topics view I can see more or less at a glance those Topics that are "new" because the Titles are "blue" and those that are "old" (and have been read) but have been added to because the Titles are in "grey".

So - on the face of it - what you want is there now. All it needs is a visual sort.

And just in case anyone was wondering I'm using Firefox...

Chris

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:48 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Unless I have grossly misunderstood what is being requested
Yep, grossly misunderstood. :) This has nothing to do with wanting to see topics that are new *to me*. Perhaps my thread is mistitled. It probably should say "first posts of all topics."

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:59 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Perhaps my thread is mistitled. It probably should say "first posts of all topics."
Ah... not so much grossly misunderstood as grossly mis - specified. :)

Chris

Misspecified but not grossly.😊