Topics

moderated Suggested Feature - Provide email "call" for a message by specifying the message number

Bob Bellizzi

I realized that most of our 3500 member depend on email rather that online communication so specifying a message number for answer's to questions and even public or other wiki doesn't help them.
While we group congisetti move back and forth between online and email, my and many other groups' member's average age tends to put them in the "not hot on internet" set and many of the features that make groups.io so great are useless to them.

Our main group for patient advocacy is for a genetic disease area that is currently very dynamic, with new surgeries and non-surgical remedies emerging.  Some subset of people will spend their lives avoiding vision restoring surgery waiting for the ngc (next great cure), and some of those are actually showing up.
So we have NGCs and people who want them.
To make it possible, it would be helpful to have a special email "command" that calls to have a specific message returned to the "caller" regardless of their email setup definition (no email, special notices, digest, individual, whatever), the message would be emailed to them after they initiated the call.

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

While I don't understand the details of this request, I may have a similar request, namely: it would be very convenient to have a way to alert a certain group member to a specific a message, either by emailing it to them specifically, or emailing them a link to it, or some sort of notification. I am thinking more or less of an @ feature. This may have been requested in the past, and this may or may not be related to Bob's request.

Bob Bellizzi

Bare bones description w/o reasons:
Provide an additional email command, similar to those for changing email delivery,
to give email only members the ability to have a specific, by number, message emailed direct to them.

e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io   (with a subject of )14587

would cause that numbered message to be transmitted to that member's email address.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Ok. Totally distinct idea from mine and I can see where it might be useful.
One question: how would the member know the message number they want to receive in the first place? From the digest or summary?

Bare bones description w/o reasons:
Provide an additional email command, similar to those for changing email delivery,
to give email only members the ability to have a specific, by number, message emailed direct to them.

e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io (with a subject of )14587

would cause that numbered message to be transmitted to that member's email address.
--

I'm not sure I'm understanding the idea. Is this so a member can have a message re-sent to them by the system rather than having to go to the web page to read it?

Dano

Bob Bellizzi

Possibly, or from an individual message received via email, or, in response to a request from a member one of our "mentors" might run a search and provide the message number.
Or, in a more recent email a member tells a correspondent that the procedure is described in message number NNNNNNN.
The correspondent, not one to "do the internet" can then "call" for that particular email to be sent to them.
Think of it as a remote access request for specific information.
-

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bob Bellizzi wrote:

To make it possible, it would be helpful to have a special email
"command" that calls to have a specific message returned to the
"caller" regardless of their email setup definition (no email, special
notices, digest, individual, whatever), the message would be emailed
to them after they initiated the call.
and later:
e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io (with a subject of )14587
Call seems a bit obscure. How about +retrieve ? Or even +GetMessage ?

Either way, it sounds like the email-command equivalent of the web Send-to-me feature I proposed once long ago.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/2195268

In your use case it seems like you'd want the ability to call a message that was posted before you joined the group; that seems a fairly likely case when a "mentor" is directing you to a prior message. That would break a protection I suggested back then.

So it re-opens the question of whether there needs to be any protection against having a new(ish) group member collect all of the group's history by calling for the messages sequentially. For my groups I'd rather have the feature than not, so I hope there's an answer that Mark will be comfortable with implementing.

Shal

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 02:59 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Call seems a bit obscure. How about +retrieve ? Or even +GetMessage ?
I was thinking "OrderMessage." Like you're ordering it off a menu. :)

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 03:26 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
you're ordering it off a menu
...or ordering it for delivery. :)

My favorite would be
SendMeMessage#xyz

Bob Bellizzi

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 03:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
SendMeMessage#xyz
That might cause issues with the email server since it would seem an infinite number of accounts, one per message in the archive.
If the Subject of SendMeMessage were the message number it eases the parsing.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 3/23/2019 10:37 PM UTC:

My favorite would be
SendMeMessage#xyz

There ya go!! That seems like it would be pretty hard to nitpick to death as being "confusing" at some future date.

With apologies to Bob Dylan... "An' here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price you have to pay to get out of going thru all these things twice." ;-)

Jim H

Jeremy H

Two thoughts on possibly adding to this I've had:
1) a corresponding 'SendMeTopic' command, to do the same for a whole topic (either as individual e-mails, or some sort of summary or digest)
2) a command - either via e-mail or web - which would probably need to be available only to (selected) moderators (e.g. 'mentors' mentioned above) - to send a specified message or topic to a specified member.

Also - a thought which occurs to me - would an (e-mail) command to send a suitably tailored link (could this be set up to obviate any need to deliberately logon, by use of the same sort of 'logon token' involved in the logon by e-mail process?) for a member to go straight into the relevant message or topic webpage avoid some of the issues people see with e-mailing old messages, while meeting the identified need?

And I can see the desirability of being able to tailor the availability of any of these at a group level.

Jeremy

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

I'm still stuck on how this is going to work in practical terms.

A non-internet savvy user has to communicate with a mentor to find out what they need. Not clear how the user contacts the mentor. The mentor figures out what the user needs. The mentor tells the user to send an email with a specific subject line to a specific email address. Do we expect the user to get this right the first time?

Why not just have the mentor send them the message / article in the first place?

--
Gerald

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 07:52 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
A non-internet savvy user has to communicate with a mentor
All this stuff about the mentor is just a particular use-case. I think the feature would be handy in general, in other situations besides Bob's group. I'm sure Bob has it figured out how he would best use it in his group.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 07:52 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Why not just have the mentor send them the message / article in the first place?
Oh, also, that would be a good addition anyway, as suggested by Jeremy downthread (and I think by Shal and others in the past): the ability for a moderator to send a specific message to a specific member.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 12:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 07:52 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Why not just have the mentor send them the message / article in the first place?
Oh, also, that would be a good addition anyway, as suggested by Jeremy downthread (and I think by Shal and others in the past): the ability for a moderator to send a specific message to a specific member.

 You seem to be missing the subtlety of my comments. I am suggesting that this can already be done and does not require any new functionality.

--
Gerald

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I don't get the idea of re-sending a message, in its entirety, by e-mail at all.   If someone has a message number then the only way I know of for anyone to have obtained same is to have looked up the content on the archive, in which case why not send the direct link to the message that the user can click to read.

Most of the groups I am on here are not frequented by tech geeks and virtually all of them, save this one and the Group Managers Forum, are used by individuals of all ages who are blind or visually impaired.   All of them are "sophisticated enough" to know how to click through on a link to read something and, if they are not, they need to become so.

We do members no favors by encouraging any kind of "digital illiteracy," and there are very, very few people today who don't know how to use a web browser, so clicking through on a link to a message in the archive and having it presented should not pose a challenge.  If it does, then teach.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 09:24 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
the only way I know of for anyone to have obtained same is to have looked up the content on the archive,
I wondered about that downthread, but I think they can get it from the digest or summary, and Bob mentioned a couple of other methods in response to the same question from me. I agree with you on the teaching, and I sometimes ask members to do things for themselves (e.g., create their own auto-signature) to force them to learn how to log on, etc. That said, I think this would be a useful feature even in groups where the members are not generally internet-impaired.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

J,

           I'm not saying, in any way, that the function might not be useful, but that given what you need to do to find a specific message number for a message you no longer have at hand, the only way I know of to get that is searching the archive for the message content that lets you find the message then snagging the number.

           I have old individual messages that allow me to go either straight to that message in the archive, or to its topic, but if I have that I don't need a "call function."  If I were supplying a message number to anyone after having located it for them I'd give it to them in the form of the direct link to same.  In the digests I have the View/Reply takes me not to the message itself, but the topic.  The format may have changed since the last ones I generated, though, as I use the web interface almost exclusively.

           It never hurts to have "one more road to Rome," I guess, but it certainly can make things more complicated than they need be, and this is a case where I think that's what it does.