moderated Suggestion-calendar feature

Gina Coburn

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is where suggestions should go, but I have a request.

I’d like to make a request that the default for the checkbox for sending out notifications to calendar events be UNCHECKED. This is wreaking havoc with our group. We have several people posting events to the calendaring if they forget to uncheck it, our subscribers are getting many emails that don’t make sense and make them cranky. It is counterintuitive to have it checked already. If people want to send a reminder, they can intentionally mark the box, not vice versa…..

Thanks!

Gina

Mark,

Gina Coburn wrote:

I’d like to make a request that the default for the checkbox for sending out notifications to calendar events be UNCHECKED.

A quick search did not turn up any discussion.

Shal

Duane

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 02:04 PM, Gina Coburn wrote:
I’d like to make a request that the default for the checkbox for sending out notifications to calendar events be UNCHECKED. This is wreaking havoc with our group. We have several people posting events to the calendaring if they forget to uncheck it, our subscribers are getting many emails that don’t make sense and make them cranky. It is counterintuitive to have it checked already. If people want to send a reminder, they can intentionally mark the box, not vice versa…
You need to be clear on what you're asking for.  There are 4 possible notifications that can result from an Event - #cal-invite, #cal-reminder, #cal-notice, and #cal-cancelled.  It looks like the only one that's on by default is the #cal-invite.  The simple remedy, now that hashtags can be moderated, is to change that one on your group so that the post/invite must be approved before it will be sent to the group.  If you don't want it to go to the group at all, delete it from the pending queue.  FYI, it was unchecked by default at one time, but people were forgetting to check it.  Either way, there's going to be some inconvenience for someone.  I feel the current setting, and changing the hashtag to be moderated, works best for the most folks.  It certainly keeps the 5 or more edits that some people make from getting through. ;>)

Duane

Gina Coburn

Thanks for your response Duane.  Yes the #cal-invite is what I’m talking about.

I would like to add my voice to any others that have complained about this.

I guess I will have to figure out how to moderate hashtags.

And now I must moderate all the calendar additions- which adds to my already busy volunteer work load.

The problem with this is that people aren’t even aware of how this is happening and it’s taken a couple hours out of my day to figure this out and try to rectify it- and yes, sometimes people do make 5 mistakes before getting it right on the calendar and they have to remember to uncheck the box every time.  And if they don’t, all the mistakes get distributed as well as the final (hopefully) correct information which makes communication very muddy.  This ends up causing lots of unneeded confusion and much extra work.  That’s my argument anyway.

Thanks for listening.  I really appreciate groups.io  and up to now it’s been darn near perfect and flexible and great!

Gina

On Mar 21, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

[...]

gina@...
Cell- 612-250-3188

Hi Gina,

Can you give me some more information? How do people in your group use the calendar? Is the issue that people make mistakes and end up causing lots of updates/invites to go out? Or is it that some people don't care about the calendar?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM Gina Coburn <gina@...> wrote:
[...]

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

It seems this was already changed once before and there now seems to be a desire to have it "the other way".

Rather than continuing to go back and forth, why not just make the default setting an option determined by the Group Owner according to their particular way of handling the situation.

--
Gerald

Charlie Behnken

I want to add my voice also as being unhappy with this change to set the 'Send Invite To Group'  default to 'Checked'.

In my case I was creating two place holder  calendar entries that got sent to my group inadvertently which is causing a bit of confusion and embarrassment on my part.  I have created temporary entries many times in the past without sending out notifications, so the change caught me by surprise.  At first I thought it was my fault until I saw it in the change log.

As for forgetting to sent out notifications, that is easily corrected by editing the event and checking  Send Invite to Group, where as  forgetting to uncheck the box is not easily corrected.

Thanks
Charlie

Hi All,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:18 PM Charlie Behnken <charles.behnken@...> wrote:
I want to add my voice also as being unhappy with this change to set the 'Send Invite To Group'  default to 'Checked'.

I have changed it back to not being checked by default.

Maria

I'm late on this. I see the inconvenience mentioned by Charlie and Gina, but we were enjoying that cal-invite automatically checked on.

After the default was changed to that we just adjusted by moderating the cal-invite hashtag, so that no errors would come through if a member made a mistake setting up an event, and so we could make sure that there are not an unreasonable amount of reminders.
Having cal-invite checked off by default helped ensure that no one set up an event and forgot to announce it. Which has happened several times and made for surprised members when the first they heard of an event was via a reminder close to the date.

It's ok - we will deal with it! We can manage.  Our group didn't ask for the cal-invite to be checked on by default, but we thought it was a good idea.

I wonder if there is any way for mods to be alerted if a member sets up an event but doesn't check off cal-invite?
Mods could go in and correct that then.
Or for the member to be reminded that they are forgetting to announce their event.

Thank you!
Maria

Jim Higgins

Received from HR Tech via Groups.Io at 3/27/2019 12:46 AM UTC:

I wonder if there is any way for mods to be alerted if a member sets up an event but doesn't check off cal-invite?
Mods could go in and correct that then.

Or for the member to be reminded that they are forgetting to announce their event.

How about a bold red notice in an appropriate place on the cal/event creation page stating the event will not be announced to the group unless the cal-invite checkbox is checked?

As a group owner, I don't want to be alerted to a subscriber's possible mistake when it should be the subscriber who is alerted.

Jim H

Charlie Behnken

A thought - remove the check box completely and add a third button next to "Add Event" like "Add Event and Send Invite", and for an edit "Update Event and Send Invite"

Charlie B

Maria

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:48 PM, Charlie Behnken wrote:
A thought - remove the check box completely and add a third button next to "Add Event" like "Add Event and Send Invite", and for an edit "Update Event and Send Invite"

Charlie B
Yes! I think that's a very cool idea.
Move the "Send Notice To Group When Event Happens ..." to the "reminder section" with a checkbox

Then have buttons as you mention for :

"Add Event"
"Add Event & Invite Group"

and when/if you go in to edit it:

"Update Event"
"Update Event & Group" ( or something - maybe same language used when you edit a post after it's been published?)

I think that is a great suggestion Charlie!

Maria

Hi All,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:48 PM Charlie Behnken <charles.behnken@...> wrote:
A thought - remove the check box completely and add a third button next to "Add Event" like "Add Event and Send Invite", and for an edit "Update Event and Send Invite"

I've removed the checkbox and replaced it with dedicated buttons.